1.    #1  
    Rod,

I was wondering if, since we can now effectively sideload apps. Would it be possible to allow the patches in the feed to be downloaded on device so we can look at or modify on device and install?

Next question, would it also be possible to add the functionality to submit patches via preware? That would just about do away w/ the need for a computer at all. except the obvious (installation of Preware).
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.

I'm going to ask my own question instead of starting my own thread. I have my own idea, technically it's related to the topic

Something that has always bothered me about Preware (and the Palm App Catalog) is there is no easy way to see "What's New" and by new I don't mean "updated" I mean NEW.

I would like to see Preware keep track of existing patches, themes, apps, and possibly provide a way of marking an item "read" like email applications. That way we can easily see "What's New" vs "What's been updated".

I realize there may be technical limitations, I'm just saying it would be really nice to launch preware and tap on a "what's new" option and have it be mostly accurate!
  3.    #3  
    Agreed, thats a good one!

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.

Quote Originally Posted by 2sslow View Post
    Rod,

I was wondering if, since we can now effectively sideload apps. Would it be possible to allow the patches in the feed to be downloaded on device so we can look at or modify on device and install?

Next question, would it also be possible to add the functionality to submit patches via preware? That would just about do away w/ the need for a computer at all. except the obvious (installation of Preware).
    Preware is designed to manage packages. Some of those packages happen to be patches or kernels, but Preware doesn't really know the difference - all of the differences regarding installation are in the packages themselves, not in Preware.

I would suggest you use Internalz from Canuck Software if you want to install raw patch files on-device. Since such items don't have corresponding documentation, screenshots, and don't get notifications of updates, I personally recommend that you install patches from the patches feed. If a patch is missing from the feed, it can be submitted at webOS-Patches Web Portal - note that by doing so you also make that patch available for others to install easily, thereby contributing to the community as well.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for the response Rod, And I do use Internalz for my own patches and testing. I guess you dont use any of my patches, but I have to update 15+ patches every OTA and a couple for every different carrier. It becomes a real pain in the *** to use the portal when i have to wait 5 mins between uploads, I just thought if we could submit via PreWare it would make things easier for us patch makers.

Follow the link below.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightburn View Post
    I'm going to ask my own question instead of starting my own thread. I have my own idea, technically it's related to the topic

Something that has always bothered me about Preware (and the Palm App Catalog) is there is no easy way to see "What's New" and by new I don't mean "updated" I mean NEW.

I would like to see Preware keep track of existing patches, themes, apps, and possibly provide a way of marking an item "read" like email applications. That way we can easily see "What's New" vs "What's been updated".

I realize there may be technical limitations, I'm just saying it would be really nice to launch preware and tap on a "what's new" option and have it be mostly accurate!
    in preware, tap 'list everything' and the tap the 'clock' at the bottom for a chronological list. The top section is today's posts, etc. Is that what you are looking for?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    in preware, tap 'list everything' and the tap the 'clock' at the bottom for a chronological list. The top section is today's posts, etc. Is that what you are looking for?
    no, because that will actually show newly "updated" packages too. What I'm looking for is a way to truly see only what's new.

For instance, the palm catalog's "What's New" section is constantly flooded with apps that have simply updated their description. I'm looking for a way to ignore these. Although, it would be useful in other scenarios as well.
    Thanks for the response Rod, And I do use Internalz for my own patches and testing. I guess you dont use any of my patches, but I have to update 15+ patches every OTA and a couple for every different carrier. It becomes a real pain in the *** to use the portal when i have to wait 5 mins between uploads, I just thought if we could submit via PreWare it would make things easier for us patch makers.
    I believe there is a whitelist in the patch portal you could be added to that would negate the 5 min wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightburn View Post
    no, because that will actually show newly "updated" packages too. What I'm looking for is a way to truly see only what's new.

For instance, the palm catalog's "What's New" section is constantly flooded with apps that have simply updated their description. I'm looking for a way to ignore these. Although, it would be useful in other scenarios as well.
    We could do a "whats actually new" type list in preware gen2. Currently we don't store a persistent list of apps inside preware. In gen2, we will be.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by oil View Post
    I believe there is a whitelist in the patch portal you could be added to that would negate the 5 min wait.

Thanks oil,I have been added once by dbsooner but its impossible to get in touch w/ him lately. whom do I need to contact? its just almost not worth it to take an hour+ to update. ya know!

Follow the link below.

Thanks oil,I have been added once by dbsooner but its impossible to get in touch w/ him lately. whom do I need to contact? its just almost not worth it to take an hour+ to update. ya know!
    I can do it, pm me your ip address.