Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 39 of 39
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Black View Post
    I can't possibly make my phone boot at 1.5ghz or closer, can I?
    I have a Terminator Pre and I cant push much up to 1.3GHz. My AV8B Harrier II kernel will allow manual input of freqs but I might cancel the project.
    Live free or DIE!
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Black View Post
    awesome!...So more voltage equals more power to the processor thereby increasing the production of the processor. Is that correct?
    To remain stable (without error, crashes, etc.) a processor requires a minimum amount of voltage. The higher you increase that processor's clock speed, the more voltage is required to maintain stability. Of course, the higher the voltage, the faster the battery drain, and the more heat is generated. Since too much heat will kill a processor, and too much battery drain is inconvenient in a mobile device, overclocking is inherently a compromise between speed and power consumption. Running your particular processor at the lowest voltage at which it's stable provides the best power efficiency at whatever speed you choose.
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by jayjam99 View Post
    Not yet. Give Marco some time.....maybe he'll come up with something. Personally i cant run my phone above 1 Ghz. (Weakling pre)
    Yeah...i tried 1.2 and my Pre went in a rebooting loop. All i did was just stick it out the window while i was driving, so it can cool then. Then i restarted. Deleted SR-71 and came back to F105. My question was if i can "boot" the phone at that speed so it doesnt take forever to boot and then after the boot, it can step back down to 1.005.

    I really appreciate all the input. Rod, Unix, JayJam, jbennett thanks for coming by and teaching me a lot about voltages!
    1 more question. Why is it that compache set limit remains 20mb even when i changed it to 48mb?
    If you want to buy a Palm Pre is great condition. Here's your chance.

    http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...91#post2782191
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Black View Post
    Yeah...i tried 1.2 and my Pre went in a rebooting loop. All i did was just stick it out the window while i was driving, so it can cool then. Then i restarted. Deleted SR-71 and came back to F105. My question was if i can "boot" the phone at that speed so it doesnt take forever to boot and then after the boot, it can step back down to 1.005.

    I really appreciate all the input. Rod, Unix, JayJam, jbennett thanks for coming by and teaching me a lot about voltages!
    1 more question. Why is it that compache set limit remains 20mb even when i changed it to 48mb?
    Not sure about the compcache problem that you got. I choose not to use that feature. I very rarely run more than one app at a time so i dont need it. Maybe try to delete all of the profiles that you have created and start a new one with the setting at 48mb and see if it sticks? Maybe one of the other profiles is over riding the settings that you are trying to achieve.
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpsycho View Post
    I have a Terminator Pre and I cant push much up to 1.3GHz. My AV8B Harrier II kernel will allow manual input of freqs but I might cancel the project.
    Unix if you need a tester I am here. Got another Pre due to a volume button issue and this one runs SR71 with no problemo.!!
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by jayjam99 View Post
    which kernel are you running? how are you running it? Screenstate? what is your min and max freq settings at? give me this information and i'll see if i can give ya a little better understanding of what your numbers mean.
    Sorry, i didnt read this before but im running F105. its default to screenstate. We cant change it. MAx is 1.005..Min is 500. Also, im running vdd1 vsel 57 54 51 42 30...temp limit is 50c...temp reset is 45c. Battery scaleback is 20...The rest is default.
    If you want to buy a Palm Pre is great condition. Here's your chance.

    http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...91#post2782191
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Black View Post
    Sorry, i didnt read this before but im running F105. its default to screenstate. We cant change it. MAx is 1.005..Min is 500. Also, im running vdd1 vsel 57 54 51 42 30...temp limit is 50c...temp reset is 45c. Battery scaleback is 20...The rest is default.
    DAMN!!! your voltage settings are great Jason! As long as your not experiencing any "spakles" as they call them....leave them how they are! I know you said you got it now, but just to reiterate:
    you are running 1.005 at 57 (which is awesome! i cant go below 60 )
    and 500MHz is running at 30 (amazing!)
    54,51 and 42 represent 900,800 and 700 respectively (and dont really matter with screenstate being that your only using the high and low ends of the spectrum.)
    I'm curious, how is your battery at those settings? I would think you should notice a pretty significant difference as compared to stock voltage settings.
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by jayjam99 View Post
    DAMN!!! your voltage settings are great Jason! As long as your not experiencing any "spakles" as they call them....leave them how they are! I know you said you got it now, but just to reiterate:
    you are running 1.005 at 57 (which is awesome! i cant go below 60 )
    and 500MHz is running at 30 (amazing!)
    54,51 and 42 represent 900,800 and 700 respectively (and dont really matter with screenstate being that your only using the high and low ends of the spectrum.)
    I'm curious, how is your battery at those settings? I would think you should notice a pretty significant difference as compared to stock voltage settings.
    Actually...its great...i love it..but sometimes, it seems like its too low. I think i should up it to 59 and then up 500mhz to 35. I dont really think im experiencing any battery improvements. If anything, i think it got worse lol. the only thing i notice is that the Pre is running cool now. unlike before, it use to run really really hot. Im going to let it sit till next morning and see if it lets me turn the screen back on before i increase it

    Edit: Those voltages are too low. My Pre just restarted on its own. I'll increase 500MHZ to 40 atleast..I increase 500 to 39 and 1.005 to 59
    Last edited by Jason Black; 09/12/2010 at 10:59 PM.
    If you want to buy a Palm Pre is great condition. Here's your chance.

    http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...91#post2782191
  9. #29  
    yeah...I am running Starfighter F104; but when I was running TChief, I could not set my voltages too low as the phone felt laggy. I do not worry about battery drain as I have touchstones @ home, car and office and an emergency AA-powered charger in my briefcase.

    So in the end, I left the voltages where UNIX set them and I have been fine. I can get to 1.1Ghz but never could run SR71 though.
  10.    #30  
    My Pre is very sluggish with lower voltages. I guess thats why Webos internals team put the voltage at the point they put it lol. I increased it back.
    If you want to buy a Palm Pre is great condition. Here's your chance.

    http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...91#post2782191
  11. #31  
    So how low could I theoretically set the voltage for screenstate off of 125mhz?

    Or can we not go below 30?
  12. #32  
    Yes, you can go below 30. I've been running 800/500 with the 500 @ 28 for several weeks. I'm considering giving 27 a go, but I'm being very cautious since this is my primary phone and if it locks with the screen off I might not know for an hour or two.
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    So how low could I theoretically set the voltage for screenstate off of 125mhz?

    Or can we not go below 30?
    Going below 500MHz is not supported... By me or Palm. Just way too many problems with it. If it works then cool, if not then accept defeat.

    The CPU and OS is designed to practically shut off the phone while asleep. Setting the scaling speed down to 125MHz wont do that much good, if any good at all.
    Live free or DIE!
  14. #34  
    Then I think there is something wrong with my phone because with the screen off I still get about a 1% a minute battery drain.
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    Then I think there is something wrong with my phone because with the screen off I still get about a 1% a minute battery drain.
    Probably because you have email, facebook, or whatever network activity running in the background. If the CDMA/GSM radio is turned on, the battery will go down quicker (GSM having somewhat less drain)

    There are alot of people that would kill for 1% battery drain.

    There are numerous posts about the problems with scaling below 500MHz also posts detailing how to save battery life.
    Live free or DIE!
  16. #36  
    yeah I just remembered I live in an area with half a bar of service.

    Thats probably it.

    Do you think that having 125mhz on could actually drain the battery faster? Or is it just possibly useless, but wouldn't be any worse than 500mhz?
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    yeah I just remembered I live in an area with half a bar of service.

    Thats probably it.

    Do you think that having 125mhz on could actually drain the battery faster? Or is it just possibly useless, but wouldn't be any worse than 500mhz?
    Having the phone run at 125MHz will make any operation that it has to do run slower and take longer preventing the phone from going to sleep quicker. If you dont have any background polling for data or apps running then running under 500MHz *might* save more battery.

    The engineering of most smartphones these days is to run at full speed while doing a mixture of voltage scaling and educated software programming to make sure the OS can race into idle more often than not. If the phone is idle the CPU clock doesnt tick which will make it sleep longer... even if its just for a few seconds.
    Live free or DIE!
  18. #38  
    I have tons of polling: facebook, gps fix, foursuqare, tweet me, facebook chat.

    So do you think that 500mhz would be better than 125mhz for screenstate off?
  19. #39  
    Yes. Especially since you have alot of background data. But unfortunately the more data you send/recv the more power you will use and the less the phone will sleep. The cell & GPS radios are battery hogs... esp in low signal areas.

    Give it a try.
    Live free or DIE!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions