webOS Nation Forums >  Homebrew >  WebOS Internals > SuperNES -- SNES emulator!
SuperNES -- SNES emulator!
Like Tree20Likes

Old 08/27/2010, 06:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Hi all!

dtzWill of WebOS Internals here!

Announcing......*drumroll*

SuperNES!

The first SNES emulator for the Palm Pre!

As you'd expect from WebOS Internals this is app is FREE! and OPEN-SOURCE! and AWESOME!

Already having spent so much time on VBA, I was able to get this up to speed more quickly...which brings me to the

Current feature list:
  • Good app compatibility, works fullspeed on stock pre on many games!
  • Rom selector
  • Rendering done via OpenGL ES
  • In-game menu
  • Save states
  • Customizable keybindings
  • Autosave
  • "Transparency" toggle for speed (see in-game help)
  • Turbo (toggle only)
  • Limited SA-1 Support (so games like Super Mario RPG, Kirby Super Stars, etc., work!)
  • Onscreen controls, complete with TRANSPARENT skins!

Things NOT implemented:
  • Pixi support. One day I might buy one for testing, but for now I don't have one so I can't support it. Sorry guys!

Here's what I'm asking:
  • Help me flesh out the wiki! Compatibility list in particular needs your help!
  • Report to me any bugs or suggestions! The more you do so, the more we can make this emulator amazing and something everyone enjoys! No promises I can fix everything, or will implement all your ideas--but I'm open to being convinced and want to make this as great as it can be!
  • Have FUN! This one is not optional.

UPDATE:

NOW AVAILABLE IN THE APP CATALOG! *FREE!*

ENJOY!

Happy gaming!

~Will
thread App Cat
X11/XServer/Xterm
thread
SuperNES
thread App Cat

If you like my work, please consider donating or buying VBA!

Last edited by dtzWill; 09/14/2010 at 07:11 PM. Reason: app cat!
dtzWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by docnas and sshaka like this.
Old 08/27/2010, 07:01 PM   #2 (permalink)

WOOT can't wait!
Symbiontsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/27/2010, 07:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

This is very cool! I have been wanting a SNES emulator to come out for the WebOS for a long time now. I didn't think anyone was working on it. So I'm glad you have now started offering this!

Carrier: Sprint
Device: Palm Pre
Favorite App: NesEm
Favorite Modification: UberKernel

the2ndflood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/27/2010, 07:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

Sometimes the term "God Among Men' gets thrown around too easily...
alex.dobeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/27/2010, 07:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

Nice, this is one emulator I've been waiting for. Top Gear and Chrono Trigger, here I come!
relic419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/27/2010, 07:37 PM   #6 (permalink)

Yessss! That's the best news today! I have all these SNES roms and need some good use for them!! w00t!
GoNinjaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/27/2010, 07:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

YES can't wait and I thought today was gonna be a slow smoke day
gangland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/27/2010, 09:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

It's in the testing feeds.

You want 'SuperNES', should be version 0.0.2 .

(There's a 'Snes9x', but that will be removed shortly).

Enjoy!
thread App Cat
X11/XServer/Xterm
thread
SuperNES
thread App Cat

Old 08/27/2010, 09:39 PM   #9 (permalink)

Ahhhh hopefully Verizon gets off their duffs and releases 1.4.5 for the Pre+ soon! I feel I'm missing out on a lot of cool new stuff...
TheDrizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: RoLLEmUp
Old 08/27/2010, 10:29 PM   #10 (permalink)

Chrono Trigger seems to be working very well (after a half hour of using it that is) on my 1GHz Pre... so that's all I care about, honestly.
jhoff80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/27/2010, 10:35 PM   #11 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
Chrono Trigger seems to be working very well (after a half hour of using it that is) on my 1GHz Pre... so that's all I care about, honestly.
Thanks for the report, and glad it's working!

For what it's worth Chrono Trigger works here (40-60fps on average) on a stock (500mhz, 600mhz when playing) Pre.

Just so people don't get the wrong idea that 1Ghz is needed .
thread App Cat
X11/XServer/Xterm
thread
SuperNES
thread App Cat

Old 08/27/2010, 11:38 PM   #12 (permalink)

Im also using 1ghz, played about 30 roms, but it works great so far. I'll try it on 500 mhz later to see how sound and if theres any lag.
gotword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/28/2010, 12:29 AM   #13 (permalink)

It runs good so far, but there's the occassional hiccup (very short freeze). This is evident in playing something slow paced like Super Mario World. F-zero, MK3/SF2:Turbo, Top Gear, Donkey Kong Country 2 all run fine (the hiccups happen in SF2 more often I think, plus it's hard to play with the physical keyboard).

Btw, I'm overclocked running F105 default.

PS: On screen control would be cool. Have you considered a paid version with such an enhancement (to justify your time)?
relic419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/28/2010, 12:37 AM   #14 (permalink)

Wow, this works amazingly well for a 0.02 release! It's so cool having those good old JRPGs (Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger, Breath of Fire) on the Pre! I don't suppose you'd be willing to support NES roms also? (I haven't finished up FF3 yet!)

Last edited by zParticle; 08/28/2010 at 12:43 AM.
zParticle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/28/2010, 12:58 AM   #15 (permalink)

Awesome work, I gave up on trying to port an SDL snes emulator months back (it just wasn't working out, even though I did have some success porting another app). Hadn't bothered to give it another shot now that the pdk is floating around....

So, was it a difficult port? Pretty easy now with 1.4.5? Is this a port of SNES9x SDL? Did you use the new pdk or were you using the home-grown porting hodge-podge?

Ahh, I'll stop with all the questions! It's just that seeing all these fast-ported apps hitting webos is making my head spin with possibilities. Maybe I need to look into porting again and see if it isn't a bit more friendly to my decade old coding skills. I'm starting to wonder if perhaps my beloved ur-quan masters (star control 2) can be ported over now with reasonable ease (I had -some- success before with the SDL version several months ago but couldn't get it working properly, and it's been ported to a maemo, so it should work)..... I think i need to read up about how people are porting things now that 1.4.5 is out and perhaps give it another shot.

Thanks again for the awesome apps.

Ncinerate
ncinerate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/28/2010, 01:25 AM   #16 (permalink)

This is incredible.
Rudementry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/28/2010, 01:31 AM   #17 (permalink)

Another amazing emulator port, well done! I look forward to purchasing it. I was thinking of making a quick video to showcase some commercial ROMs on it. And yes, as it was said, very feature-rich for a 0.0.2 release. Ran games on par or even better (Kirby Super Star) than my GP2x Wiz. Awesome stuff! Oh, and I love that pressing a letter jumps to that in the list, nice touch.

Although, I did find an odd, and reproducible bug! It's been so long I'm a little stoked about it lol, sorry! xD On 2 games now, first with Super Mario RPG, the back gesture will cause it to load state 3, while saying it saved state 3. Very odd. It also gave odd results when saving/loading states in SMRPG, but only that. Like saving state one would show up in all 3 when loaded after the back swipe. Star Fox gave a slightly different behavior, back gesture would go to menu as normal, but returning to Star Fox loaded state 3 like before. Only happened on these 2 out of 15+ games. Also, a card-view swipe up still goes to menu just fine without causing an automatic state-load. Sprint Pre, OTA to 1.4.5 with FStab fix, 1ghz through F105, if ya need any more info, lemme know!

I'm shocked Star Fox and Stunt Race FX even loaded, the framerates were great despite having no vehicle/enemies, lol! No surprise there, I really couldn't care less. What does surprise me though, is that SMW2: Yoshi's Island is playing perfectly so far! Wow! I wasn't expecting that one.
azumak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/28/2010, 01:32 AM   #18 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic419 View Post
It runs good so far, but there's the occassional hiccup (very short freeze). This is evident in playing something slow paced like Super Mario World. F-zero, MK3/SF2:Turbo, Top Gear, Donkey Kong Country 2 all run fine (the hiccups happen in SF2 more often I think, plus it's hard to play with the physical keyboard).

Btw, I'm overclocked running F105 default.
Interesting. Another user reported this, I thought at the time it was due to background processes. I'll look into it. If it's not background processes (our wonderful WebOS devices are fantastic at multitasking doncha know), then I suspect it might be the writing the SRAM to disk. At this point however it's all speculation, I'll give it a look when I get a chance .

Re: sf2 --yeah the Pre keyboard likes to drop adjacent key presses and that's what I think makes trying to do things like qcf so difficult. Checking lumberjack logs after playing you can see a bunch of messages from the kernel saying that it's dropping keypresses because of that. Not sure of best solution here.

Quote:
PS: On screen control would be cool. Have you considered a paid version with such an enhancement (to justify your time)?
I'll definitely support this *eventually* and when I do it will be free. As I said above really the biggest barrier presently is getting artwork .

Finally, FYI there probably won't ever be a paid version of this--it's based on Snes9x which has clear licensing saying you cannot sell things based on their code.
thread App Cat
X11/XServer/Xterm
thread
SuperNES
thread App Cat

Old 08/28/2010, 01:35 AM   #19 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zParticle View Post
Wow, this works amazingly well for a 0.02 release! It's so cool having those good old JRPGs (Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger, Breath of Fire) on the Pre! I don't suppose you'd be willing to support NES roms also? (I haven't finished up FF3 yet!)
NES roms probably not, although perhaps in another emulator (your princess is in another castle).

Maybe I should/could pull an LJP and merge them .

But to more directly answer your question I presently have no NES emulator plans, sorry. One thing at a time .
thread App Cat
X11/XServer/Xterm
thread
SuperNES
thread App Cat

Old 08/28/2010, 01:42 AM   #20 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
Awesome work, I gave up on trying to port an SDL snes emulator months back (it just wasn't working out, even though I did have some success porting another app). Hadn't bothered to give it another shot now that the pdk is floating around....
Actually I started this port months ago, just forgot about it until recently.

Quote:
So, was it a difficult port? Pretty easy now with 1.4.5? Is this a port of SNES9x SDL? Did you use the new pdk or were you using the home-grown porting hodge-podge
Does it matter? I used the home-grown but honestly all you need is a toolchain, the headers, and some libs to link against. Both have these, and the WIDK supports linux so that works for me .

As for difficulty.. I was able to reuse a lot of my code from VBA in terms of menus and user experience--and I didn't have to rewrite any emulation code in ARM assembly this time . So I'd say it was a much easier port, but that has nothing to do with PDK or 1.4.5. But having a opengles blit/multiple orientation/autoscaling/autocentering bit of code, having the rom selector/options menu all set..... made things a lot easier . That and once you know the guts of one emulator, understanding another is a heck of a lot easier .

Quote:
Ahh, I'll stop with all the questions! It's just that seeing all these fast-ported apps hitting webos is making my head spin with possibilities. Maybe I need to look into porting again and see if it isn't a bit more friendly to my decade old coding skills. I'm starting to wonder if perhaps my beloved ur-quan masters (star control 2) can be ported over now with reasonable ease (I had -some- success before with the SDL version several months ago but couldn't get it working properly, and it's been ported to a maemo, so it should work)..... I think i need to read up about how people are porting things now that 1.4.5 is out and perhaps give it another shot.

Thanks again for the awesome apps.

Ncinerate
You're very welcome --and no reason to stop any questions, keep them coming if you'd like. As you might notice I enjoy porting things, so it's all good .

I hope you do look at porting those things and I'd be happy to help in any way I can when you do so. Feel free to email me or contact me on IRC if you'd like.

Good luck
thread App Cat
X11/XServer/Xterm
thread
SuperNES
thread App Cat

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0