Page 9 of 34 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast
Like Tree20Likes
  1.    #161  
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
    By all means use it dtz, I had no real preferred name for it.... How about RPG? That's the type of game I'm using it on.
    Okay I tried it, and I love it as my new RPG skin . Although I *am* rather attached to the keyboard, this is pretty sweet. Thanks!
    Quake
    thread
    VisualBoyAdvance
    thread App Cat
    X11/XServer/Xterm
    thread
    SuperNES
    thread App Cat

If you like my work, please consider donating or buying VBA!
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    Totally agree with above poster with regards to playability as compared to the vba. I had a heck of a time with ZELDA LINK TO THE PASTon vba, but just spent the last 30 min playing (UK-92 screenstate 500/1000 full brightness max volume) Zelda Link to the Past...pretty much ran at 58-60 for most of the time. Took a look at my cpu temp and was around 50-51C...red lining for sure but again, not sure why easier to play as well as a lot smoother as compared to the vba version. Thanks again. Also BUST-A-MOVE worked quite well, same scenario as above. Tried ARKANOID DOH and it was super fast @ 1GHz but didn't try at 500.
    I think that some of it is the way it was ported over to the GBA. I had a few games that did not run perfect on the GBA in comparison to the original system. Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis for example does not play well at all on the GBA in comparison to the original on the Sega Genesis.
  3.    #163  
    Just pushed 0.0.6 of SuperNES to the testing feeds.

Changelog (I really ought to make a dang template for these kinds of posts...)

• Added skins from this thread, namely "RPG", "dpad" (thanks ncinerate!) and Sonic-NKT's more transparent versions of land_trans.
    • Removed 'default_snes' for now since it's messed up (screen overlaps weird, etc). Due to way things upgrade I think it actually will remain installed, but at least no one NEW will have it, until it's fixed.
    • Fixed color issues on skins displayed in both options and in-game.

Enjoy!

Any big feature updates you guys thank are important before, say, pushing to App Catalog, etc? Any bugs? Let me know if you guys have any thoughts, oh amazing beta testers .

Only thing on my TODO is to update the in-game documentation for skins, but that's about it. Then again it's late and I'm tired so I'm probably forgetting something, like how it crashes all the time or something

Anyway, Happy Gaming, and enjoy the small update
    Quake
    thread
    VisualBoyAdvance
    thread App Cat
    X11/XServer/Xterm
    thread
    SuperNES
    thread App Cat

Hey Will,

Would it ever be possible for your SuperNES emulator to have built-in Game Genie support? Either like the NesEm where the codes are stored on a server, or maybe like some of the other emulators that allow the user to input the Game Genie codes manually. That would be a really, really cool feature!!!

Carrier: Sprint
    Device: Palm Pre
    Favorite App: NesEm
    Favorite Modification: UberKernel

Quote Originally Posted by dtzWill View Post
    Just /saying/ every skin transparent or otherwise has complete control of where and how large the viewing area is. Not sure if this was clear, and want to make sure that's not a limitation .
    I was saying that it's tough to make a D-pad without taking up undue real estate (either making the viewing screen tiny or covering some of it)...

I'm going to play with it a bit and see if I can make it playable with a Dpad on the left and the screen moved over.....

EDIT- I'm looking over things now, what settings will adjust the actual size of the viewing screen? Perhaps I'm missing it in the config file, but I dont see a way to resize it... I see touchscreen size, but it's set to 480/320 (which is the viewing size of the pre's screen, right?). I see how to move the emulation screen around but I see no way to resize it.....
    Last edited by ncinerate; 09/05/2010 at 02:38 AM.
    Okay I tried it, and I love it as my new RPG skin . Although I *am* rather attached to the keyboard, this is pretty sweet. Thanks!
    Yeah, I like the keyboard too, but I think the RPG skin is a bit better . It works well because rpg's dont need alot of quick swapping between paired ABXY buttons.

Been playing with my keybinds for it. I really like the way you diagonally set up the d-pad on the keyboard. I find most comfortable setup for the RPG skin to be D=up, Z=down, S=left, X=right, F-L, C-R. Your mileage may vary.

--oh, by the way, if you haven't already had the chance, you should check out the homebrew translated jap rpg's - Tales of Phantasia, Seiken Densetsu 3 ( AKA Secret of mana 2), Final Fantasy V, Dragon Quest VI, Star Ocean. Great games all, and most people never played them (well, excepting for the japanese, and the people who played a few of these when they were later translated and released on the PS1). Beats playing through chrono trigger for the umpteenth time .
    Are you the same person that reported ARKANOID DOH running fast earlier? That's strange, the code SHOULD scale down emulation as appropriate automagically. I test on 500 as well as 500/800 screenstate, I haven't ever actually run 1Ghz on my device yet O. Anyway let me know, because that shouldn't happen and is something I should fix then.

As for why this is better--simply put the SNES hardware is a /lot/ easier to emulate.
    Hey there. That's funny, not sure why it was before but it WAS super fast(2 days ago) and now it's a playable speed(ARKANOID DOH)
    So again here's my list of playable games:
    ARKANOID DOH
    BUST-A-MOVE
    DRAGON'S LAIR
    DUNGEON MASTER(a little hard to play because of mouse pointer style)
    LEMMINGS 2 (a little hard to play because of mouse pointer style)
    SPACE ACE
    SUPER MARIO ALL-STARS
    TAZ-MANIA
    ZELDA-A LINK TO THE PAST
    and I've tried out both skins ncinerate made and do like the original one they made with the buttons on the left side (not even necessary to re-map the dpad on the left side, nice work )

Haven't had ANY crashes at all, btw(ref. post #163)

EDIT -- MORE COMPATIBLE GAMES LIST:
    --Arcade's Greatest Hits(Defender, Defender2, Joust, Robotron, Sinistar)
    --Arc. Great. Hits-ATARI YEARS(Asteroids,Battlezone,Centipede,Missle Command, Super Breakout, Tempest)
    --B.O.B
    --Choplifter III
    --(FYI) Donkey Kong Country loads but stops with error message"This product will not operate when connected to a device which makes unauthorized copies...Please refer to your instruction booklet for furthur information"
    --Pitfall - The Mayan Adventure
    --Super 11 in 1 (doesn't seem to work)
    --Mr.Do!
    --Ninja Gaiden Trilogy
    --Populous
    --Super Castlevania 4
    --Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts
    --Super Mario World
    --Super Star Wars - Empire Strikes Back
    --Super Star Wars - Return of the Jedi
    --Uncharted Waters
    --Uncharted Waters - New Horizon
    Last edited by sledge007; 09/05/2010 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Updated compatible games list
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  8.    #168  
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
    I was saying that it's tough to make a D-pad without taking up undue real estate (either making the viewing screen tiny or covering some of it)...

I'm going to play with it a bit and see if I can make it playable with a Dpad on the left and the screen moved over.....

EDIT- I'm looking over things now, what settings will adjust the actual size of the viewing screen? Perhaps I'm missing it in the config file, but I dont see a way to resize it... I see touchscreen size, but it's set to 480/320 (which is the viewing size of the pre's screen, right?). I see how to move the emulation screen around but I see no way to resize it.....
    You're absolutely right that taking up screen space for dpad is going to either /cover/ the screen or require shrinking it or whatnot.

The skin config values you want to move things are
    touch_screen_x_offset, touch_screen y_offset. The screen will be drawn at these coordinates. The skins I made (and looks like the ones your based on) have these set to (69,0) because that allows for the largest screen possible while keeping the aspect ratio.

touchscreen_screen_width, touch_screen_height . This is tricky. In an effort to prevent people from mutzing with aspect ratio (particularly on VBA where GB/GBA have /different/ ones) what this does is define the maximum size of the viewing area. The application will then scale the screen UP to these dimensions, preserving aspect ratio as appropriate.

Hopefully that clarifies the skin-cfg side of that, and seems like the other bit was a just a tad miscommunication or similar .
    Quake
    thread
    VisualBoyAdvance
    thread App Cat
    X11/XServer/Xterm
    thread
    SuperNES
    thread App Cat

9.    #169  
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    Hey there. That's funny, not sure why it was before but it WAS super fast(2 days ago) and now it's a playable speed(ARKANOID DOH)
    So again here's my list of playable games:
    ARKANOID DOH
    BUST-A-MOVE
    DRAGON'S LAIR
    DUNGEON MASTER(a little hard to play because of mouse pointer style)
    LEMMINGS 2 (a little hard to play because of mouse pointer style)
    SPACE ACE
    SUPER MARIO ALL-STARS
    TAZ-MANIA
    ZELDA-A LINK TO THE PAST
    and I've tried out both skins ncinerate made and do like the original one they made with the buttons on the left side (not even necessary to re-map the dpad on the left side, nice work )

Haven't had ANY crashes at all, btw(ref. post #163)
    Thanks for the report! Also I was kidding about it crashing, at least I hope so.... .
    Quake
    thread
    VisualBoyAdvance
    thread App Cat
    X11/XServer/Xterm
    thread
    SuperNES
    thread App Cat

You're absolutely right that taking up screen space for dpad is going to either /cover/ the screen or require shrinking it or whatnot.

The skin config values you want to move things are
    touch_screen_x_offset, touch_screen y_offset. The screen will be drawn at these coordinates. The skins I made (and looks like the ones your based on) have these set to (69,0) because that allows for the largest screen possible while keeping the aspect ratio.

touchscreen_screen_width, touch_screen_height . This is tricky. In an effort to prevent people from mutzing with aspect ratio (particularly on VBA where GB/GBA have /different/ ones) what this does is define the maximum size of the viewing area. The application will then scale the screen UP to these dimensions, preserving aspect ratio as appropriate.

Hopefully that clarifies the skin-cfg side of that, and seems like the other bit was a just a tad miscommunication or similar .
    EDIT: Wait, I figured it out, thanks for the explanation. I didnt realize I needed to make the height/width larger then the current pre screen in order to resize the emulation window a bit larger. I get it now!
    Last edited by ncinerate; 09/05/2010 at 10:32 AM.
    I can't find the place to download the SuperNES anywhere on my pre...help! please
    ummm....go to Preware and click on SuperNES in the application section and then it downloads....not sure what you're getting at sorry, please be more specific....do you mean can't find the place on your Pre to put the ROMS or ?
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Quote Originally Posted by sneekzlojik View Post
    I can't find the place to download the SuperNES anywhere on my pre...help! please
    I believe it's in the testing feeds, so you need to -add- the testing feed to preware, then reload preware, then search "list of everything" for super.

You could also find it here:

http://ipkg.preware.org/feeds/webos-....0.5_armv7.ipk

Just download it, dump it into your pre, then open it with internalz. .6 seems to be broken though (for me anyway), I'd suggest .5 as of this morning.
    Last edited by ncinerate; 09/05/2010 at 12:33 PM.
    EDIT:::: DO NOT DOWNLOAD THIS SKIN - IT WAS HODGEPODGED TOGETHER TO FIX A BUG THAT NO LONGER EXISTS IN SUPERNES, USE THE PREINSTALLED RPG2 SKIN IN SUPERNES!!

Ok, I put together a new version of my RPG skin. I removed the L/R and select/start buttons from the screen, expanded the screen to the maximum possible size while maintaining aspect ratio, and changed the position of the ABXY buttons.

Most rpg's don't use the L/R buttons anyway (and those that do you can simply remap them to the physical keyboard above your D-pad), and select-start don't get utilized that often either. It didn't make much sense to have these on-screen in the original RPG skin anyway (the slider was open, so using them was annoying).

Anyway, this gives you the maximum amount of physical screen size without fingers getting in the way of your screen. I'm a -lot- happier with this. I know it's just a small change but it's like the fullscreen browser patch - it made my browsing experience a LOT better.

Feel free to add it to the next release DTZ, thanks again! I included a knockup picture of what it looks like, for anyone wondering. Just extract the zip file into your snes/skins folder on the pre (if it doesn't exist, make it).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by ncinerate; 09/16/2010 at 02:35 PM.
    ACK, something broke...

I installed your newest update to superNES and now the icon has turned into a crescent moon and it wont run.

Tried uninstalling and reinstalling but nothing, tried rebooting, nothing.

Any ideas DTZ?

I went back to the previous version (snatched it from the testing feed) and things are working again. Is the new version broken?
    Last edited by ncinerate; 09/05/2010 at 11:44 AM.
    Checking now to see if it works...We'll see if it works...but I meant I can't find the download for the SuperNES in the Preware anywhere.
    I'm getting a big list of something telling me about things that are wrong after I reloaded preware after setting my listings to have TESTING apps on....sighs *No!!!* dramatically screams*
    Is it possible to have a skin with a somewhat larger d-pad? I find myself 'missing' too many times to make games truly playable. Wondering if I'm alone in this?
    My shiny new TouchPad apps: Scientific RPN Calculator HD - Screamager HD
    On another note, I think playability would be increased even more if one could drag/swipe in a certain designated area (where the d-pad is now). So 'drag up' in the area is the same as pressing up, 'drag left' is the same as pressing left etc.

Thing is, when playing the game one tends to subtly move the finger and therefore 'miss'.

Like this it would almost be like a joystick and (at least for me) accuracy would be increased enormously.
    My shiny new TouchPad apps: Scientific RPN Calculator HD - Screamager HD
    Still can't find the SNES emulator at all....someone please help..which feed do I enable to find the emulator? Everything I'm doing ...is not working
Page 9 of 34 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast