Page 8 of 34 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast
Like Tree20Likes
    I decided to slap together a skin for more comfortable RPG use. I wanted to keep all fingers off the viewable screen while still giving me a landscape view. This puts your D-pad controls on your right thumb (on the slideout keyboard) and the ABXY buttons on the left hand side of the touchscreen.

You'll need to reconfigure your keyboard because this will be used in landscape with the slider out. I recommend you reconfigure the bottom of your keyboard into movement controls (F=up, S=down, X=right, E-left, and so on).

Hope someone gets some use out of it, make sure you extract the zip file into your SNES/SKINS directory (if it doesnt exist, make it).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by ncinerate; 09/04/2010 at 09:46 PM.
    I'm just throwing this out there but is it possible to make a skin that only has the D-Pad and use the keys on the keyboard for buttons?...That way the D-Pad can be far enough away from the screen and your right hand isn't half covering up the screen... Just an idea
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    I'm just throwing this out there but is it possible to make a skin that only has the D-Pad and use the keys on the keyboard for buttons?...That way the D-Pad can be far enough away from the screen and your right hand isn't half covering up the screen... Just an idea
    It's possible - skins only take a little bit to put together, you could even make it...

Look at my skin just above, that puts the D-pad on my keyboard and the ABXY buttons on the left of the touchscreen (off the image, so you have the full viewable screen). That might work for you.
    lol I read your post and I dunno...gapped out...that's a good one i think I'll try it out later
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Here, I knocked you one together - the D-pad is very transparent, and everything else is invisible (the buttons are still there on the touchscreen, just completely transparent). You'll need to remap your keyboard to give you a good position on your ABXY buttons.

I prefer the previous one I posted though, it is in my opinion perfect for what I am going to use it for. If you put a D-pad on your touchscreen it's -going- to cover up some of the viewable screen, and can interfere with seeing whats going on in a game.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Ok thanks for that...I pretty much drained my battery playing Zelda this afternoon ( I wanted to recalibrate my battery anyway ) I'll try them both out and let you know what I think later.
  7.    #147  
    Quote Originally Posted by rdethree View Post
    loving the skin support! And I look forward to updates at any time. Any chance of releasing this to the Palm Catalog? I would love to support you further.
    Glad you like it!

I do hope to submit it to the catalog, but the my quality threshold for that is a bit higher than testing feed release.. I'll submit it when it's ready .

It will be for free, and I would love it if everyone who uses this switched to the app catalog version (or at least downloaded it once) to help support it in the pdk contest.

If you're looking to financially support this project directly, consider purchasing VBA in the catalog (if that sounds useful) or simply use the paypal link in my sig.

Anyway, thanks, and very glad you enjoy it!
    Quake
    thread
    VisualBoyAdvance
    thread App Cat
    X11/XServer/Xterm
    thread
    SuperNES
    thread App Cat

If you like my work, please consider donating or buying VBA!
    Quote Originally Posted by dtzWill View Post
    Glad you like it!

I do hope to submit it to the catalog, but the my quality threshold for that is a bit higher than testing feed release.. I'll submit it when it's ready .

It will be for free, and I would love it if everyone who uses this switched to the app catalog version (or at least downloaded it once) to help support it in the pdk contest.

If you're looking to financially support this project directly, consider purchasing VBA in the catalog (if that sounds useful) or simply use the paypal link in my sig.

Anyway, thanks, and very glad you enjoy it!

When do you expect the App Store version to be released. I will download it to help you win the contest.

Carrier: Sprint
    Device: Palm Pre
    Favorite App: NesEm
    Favorite Modification: UberKernel

9.    #149  
    Quote Originally Posted by VenpaCasa View Post
    this is awesome i find this way more playable than the VBA for sm reason.... but still pretty hard for me cuz im cursed with sweaty palms so even the simplest tasks even just using the launcher makes it hard for me on bad days.... so touch screen gaming is only enjoyable for me on good days... (dry hands....) anyone else with this prob? anyone have a solution?
    When I took speech class back in high school, they suggested antiperspirant (normal kind you would use) on your hands. Unscented probably, but if I remember correctly it did the trick... Shrug, ymmv .
    Quake
    thread
    VisualBoyAdvance
    thread App Cat
    X11/XServer/Xterm
    thread
    SuperNES
    thread App Cat

When I took speech class back in high school, they suggested antiperspirant (normal kind you would use) on your hands. Unscented probably, but if I remember correctly it did the trick... Shrug, ymmv .
    Yeah it's called Certain Dri with Aluminum. Put it on your hands at night and sleep with socks over your hands. After a week of that the sweating will stop on your hands. Then just use it a few times per-week to keep the sweating from coming back.

Carrier: Sprint
    Device: Palm Pre
    Favorite App: NesEm
    Favorite Modification: UberKernel

11.    #151  
    Quote Originally Posted by jjcitron View Post
    theres no other reason for arbitrary angles, my idea was you throw it an angle as a variable like touch_screen_rotation=90 touch_screen_rotation=45 and it would render the screen at than angle. if doing something like touch_screen_rotation=P and touch_screen_rotation=L would be easier.

is there a link floating around for the source? i cant find one, and i would love to have a peek at its workings to satisfy the programmer inside.
    Source:

git.webos-internals.org Git - games/snes9x.git/summary

The main dev branch is 'drnoksnes_webos', I haven't merged into master since master is based elsewhere and the git doesn't let me rebase and it wasn't worth it drag the admin into it to make that right .

EDIT: Feel free to bug me on IRC or email if you want some help getting used to the code or coordinate some development.

The serialization of the orientation/angle to the cfg file isn't my concern (although while we're on it the parameter will probably be something like 'touch_is_portrait={0,1}'), but rather implementing the CODE to render all of the elements at a particular angle requires working out the right matrix transform in the GL code, and also requires transforming the input coordinates. All of that so you can ..hold your device at a weird angle (and get awesome aliasing/pixel inconsistencies)? As I said before I don't see the justification particularly compared to the other things on the todo list. I'm not trying to be stubborn or refuse your idea, but I don't understand at all why one would want that, and since it's nontrivial to implement am reluctant to tackle it anytime soon. Sorry
    Last edited by dtzWill; 09/04/2010 at 10:45 PM.
    Quake
    thread
    VisualBoyAdvance
    thread App Cat
    X11/XServer/Xterm
    thread
    SuperNES
    thread App Cat

12.    #152  
    Totally agree with above poster with regards to playability as compared to the vba. I had a heck of a time with ZELDA LINK TO THE PASTon vba, but just spent the last 30 min playing (UK-92 screenstate 500/1000 full brightness max volume) Zelda Link to the Past...pretty much ran at 58-60 for most of the time. Took a look at my cpu temp and was around 50-51C...red lining for sure but again, not sure why easier to play as well as a lot smoother as compared to the vba version. Thanks again. Also BUST-A-MOVE worked quite well, same scenario as above. Tried ARKANOID DOH and it was super fast @ 1GHz but didn't try at 500.
    Are you the same person that reported ARKANOID DOH running fast earlier? That's strange, the code SHOULD scale down emulation as appropriate automagically. I test on 500 as well as 500/800 screenstate, I haven't ever actually run 1Ghz on my device yet O. Anyway let me know, because that shouldn't happen and is something I should fix then.

As for why this is better--simply put the SNES hardware is a /lot/ easier to emulate.
    Quake
    thread
    VisualBoyAdvance
    thread App Cat
    X11/XServer/Xterm
    thread
    SuperNES
    thread App Cat

13.    #153  
    Also just a quick THANK YOU to you all helping create great skins and discussing them. Really appreciate it, it makes a big difference.

Also, for VBA people found it useful to create a special SKINs thread, but I'm fine either way. Whatever you guys think is best .

Thanks again!
    Quake
    thread
    VisualBoyAdvance
    thread App Cat
    X11/XServer/Xterm
    thread
    SuperNES
    thread App Cat

Beta feed for now?
    Also just a quick THANK YOU to you all helping create great skins and discussing them. Really appreciate it, it makes a big difference.

Also, for VBA people found it useful to create a special SKINs thread, but I'm fine either way. Whatever you guys think is best .

Thanks again!
    No prob, you're the one who did the hard stuff! I gave up on trying to port SNES9x after a rediculous amount of trouble even getting it to a black-screen broken situation. Hell, now I can't even try porting (tried to reinstall ubuntu to dink around but for some reason I'm having a polling error when I try to "make stage" and can't seem to get past it).

If someone ends up making a skin specific thread I'll toss mine into the fray.

Thanks again for all the work dtzWill.

Ncinerate
    Here's a knockup screenshot of my fullscreen RPG skin I posted a few up in the thread (cant seem to take a real screenshot - they come out black). Works well and I think it looks good. If anyone has any suggestions for improvement let me know... Was going for a bit more of a hand-drawn look that was easy on the eyes, some of the skins just come off a bit too bright for me...
    Attached Images Attached Images
  17.    #157  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Beta feed for now?
    After the (perhaps not super public, but stressful) situation with the beta feed previously I think I'm scared of using it :P. Anyway beta doesn't count for the pdk contest (it was a bug that VBA got through that we had to work to resolve), so that doesn't particularly help although it does help reach more people (which is definitely an important goal).
    Quake
    thread
    VisualBoyAdvance
    thread App Cat
    X11/XServer/Xterm
    thread
    SuperNES
    thread App Cat

18.    #158  
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
    Here's a knockup screenshot of my fullscreen RPG skin I posted a few up in the thread (cant seem to take a real screenshot - they come out black). Works well and I think it looks good. If anyone has any suggestions for improvement let me know... Was going for a bit more of a hand-drawn look that was easy on the eyes, some of the skins just come off a bit too bright for me...
    This looks fantastic!!! Do you mind if I include it in the next release?

Also, do you have a preferred name for it (as shown in the skin selection, etc)?
    Quake
    thread
    VisualBoyAdvance
    thread App Cat
    X11/XServer/Xterm
    thread
    SuperNES
    thread App Cat

By all means use it dtz, I had no real preferred name for it.... How about RPG? That's the type of game I'm using it on.
  20.    #160  
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
    Here, I knocked you one together - the D-pad is very transparent, and everything else is invisible (the buttons are still there on the touchscreen, just completely transparent). You'll need to remap your keyboard to give you a good position on your ABXY buttons.

I prefer the previous one I posted though, it is in my opinion perfect for what I am going to use it for. If you put a D-pad on your touchscreen it's -going- to cover up some of the viewable screen, and can interfere with seeing whats going on in a game.
    Just /saying/ every skin transparent or otherwise has complete control of where and how large the viewing area is. Not sure if this was clear, and want to make sure that's not a limitation .
    Quake
    thread
    VisualBoyAdvance
    thread App Cat
    X11/XServer/Xterm
    thread
    SuperNES
    thread App Cat

Page 8 of 34 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast