Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast
Like Tree20Likes
  1.    #81  
    Quote Originally Posted by jjcitron View Post
    i actually prefer using the keyboard, but i thought i could pitch in a mock up a quick skin based off the classic controller.

photoshop tif and png are attached.

one thing i would love to see is a skin for portrait mode both for VBA as well as snes..

enjoy.
    As i requested a portrait skin, I figured I should mock one up as well.

photoshop tif and png are attached
    Thanks for the mockups! Look good to me, I'll see what I can do. I already pretty much implemented touchscreen controls, but they're a tad wonky so I'm working out those bugs. Mostly it's a pain because people expect the 4 buttons in that diamond shape, and it seems to pretty much always create situations where we're /wasting/ a lot of screen space. Another way of saying that is that it results in particularly small buttons that are kind of close together (on a relatively small amount of the screen), making playing difficult, or making the viewing area tiny. Bah!

Anyway once I get these issues worked out to my satisfaction I'll ship it, and your skins look good so hopefully I'll use them as part of the package .

We'll see about portrait skins, it really shouldn't be hard given everything else that's already implemented but just another thing to add and make sure works well .

Thanks for the art! Particularly like the Palm/WebOS branding .
    Quake
    thread
    VisualBoyAdvance
    thread App Cat
    X11/XServer/Xterm
    thread
    SuperNES
    thread App Cat

If you like my work, please consider donating or buying VBA!
    Awesome app cant wait for the On-screen controls. The roms vork very well i played Drabgon Ball Z and Super Mario thanks for the hard work !!
    Quote Originally Posted by dtzWill View Post
    I periodically add and remove it from the feeds so I can get some laughs.
    LOL
    My only real question is finding roms.
    I am sure my friend google can help me there though...
    Last edited by MudShark22; 08/31/2010 at 09:42 AM.
    As i requested a portrait skin, I figured I should mock one up as well.

photoshop tif and png are attached
    You know what I wonder if this would work better for all virtual controls on all the emulators. Might actually provide more screen real estate to the game screen. And if you need to use the KB during play in addition to it then it would be easier to do so. 320x240 would give the 4:3 ratio. Which I assume there are no games using an HD ratio and if they do would appear in the proper aspect ratio within the 320x240 area. This gives the bottom vertical 240px in portrait mode for virtual controls. Question is would this be larger, smaller, or same dimensions as the currently largest game screen in the landscape virtual control themes for VBA? Obviously on the pre with virtual controls we will want as much as possible screen real estate for the game screen due to the small form factor. But at the same time not distort aspect ratio or trim the edges of what one would see if they were playing the game on a TV or the actual game device as the case may be.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    Do we need the rainbow colored buttons on the skin? How about the real (original) SNES purple buttons?

Sorry, the rainbow one just looks really weird to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Do we need the rainbow colored buttons on the skin? How about the real (original) SNES purple buttons?

Sorry, the rainbow one just looks really weird to me.
    Rainbow? Are the buttons Super Famicom colored?

Answering myself: Yes, the buttons are colored on the Super Famicom!! ... and on the PAL Super NES

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_nintendo
    Last edited by NuttyBunny; 08/30/2010 at 09:17 PM.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Well my reason for wanting portrait controls is to be able to use both because while i prefer the physical keyboard, in some instances, (multiple button presses) the onscreen may be easier.
    Having the on-screen joystick be an actual joystick(ala quake) and rather than just an image map may help as well for doing those all important SFII moves..
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    I can't find it in preware and I've updated my feeds
    Here's an idea for touchscreen controls:

Why not add a touchscreen D-pad overlaid a fullscreen landscape SNES screen, and simply put the buttons on the physical keyboard.

So to play you'd slide the phone open, hold it sideways, and the left hand could D-pad and the right hand could handle buttons without taking up undue screen real estate.

Maximum amount of screen possible and only the thumb crowding things a bit. Plus you eliminate issues with small onscreen button wonky-ness.

Or you could make the screen slightly smaller (still in landscape) making space on the left side for a D pad and a start/select button, while again using the physical keyboard for the other buttons... Slightly less screen real estate but none of it obscured by onscreen controls.

Out of left field, but maybe you could even make the D-pad completely transparent (as in, invisible) as it should still be usable as long as you know where it is.... No skin required. Or perhaps utilize a sort of transparent joystick like the one on the quake port.....
    Last edited by ncinerate; 08/31/2010 at 10:49 AM.
    Skins like that are allready available for VBA and its quite a good way to control games which need precise button tabbing and so on

anyway i would also like to see portrait touchscreen control.

@dtzWill:
    how hard is it to implement screenroation into the current skin config? shouldnt be to hard i hope. then you could just add a switch to the skin config like "orientation=port/land" or something like that and the skin creaters can create some first skins to try it out.
    as you are using opengl es for rendering in both emulators you could add this to both without much hassle?

btw, what do you think about the 2.0 updates? do you plan to mix your emus with basic webos standards? i like the idea of having a webos Romlauncher, Options and Info/Help.
    Last edited by Sonic-NKT; 08/31/2010 at 04:18 PM.
    ncinerate's idea of a semi-transparent directional control overlayed on the game display would be a perfect compromise for maximizing screen real-estate. You'd compromise obscuring a small part of the game with your thumb in exchange for the largest possible image, and of course this could just be one of the user-selectable layouts. So many 3D games already get away with onscreen controls partially obscuring the action that people will be used to how this works.
    Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    I have the testing feed and can't find it either. Unless it's not in the testing feed i have. I even tried the feed url on my PC and looked through it and can't find it there either. Any help? It is the webos-internals one right?
    @zParticle:
    if i recall it correctly dtzWill had huge Problems with overlay controls (atleast with VBA) thats why the never were implemented in a official release. Maybe this is the same with SuperNES (as they both use OpenGL ES for rendering).
    added my short vid to to the wiki hope i did it right
    THE CHAMP IS HERE!!
    This is awesome! One of the only things I've been missing from the old days was an snes emulator, and now I have one that's better than any other one I've had for a handheld device!

I have one suggestion, though: can you add a reset button? Especially with autosave on, it would be nice to have an option to just start back at the start screen instead of having to turn the feature off and go back to the ROM menu.
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    I've done a little reading but, is there a reason the VBA and SNES do not work on the Pixi? I mean hardware reason like its CPU being different ARM versions or something that's beyond just software coding?

I love my Pixi's form factor and keyboard over the Pre but I keep regretting when new things like this come out Pre only, which is often!
  17.    #97  
    Quote Originally Posted by saves View Post
    I've done a little reading but, is there a reason the VBA and SNES do not work on the Pixi? I mean hardware reason like its CPU being different ARM versions or something that's beyond just software coding?

I love my Pixi's form factor and keyboard over the Pre but I keep regretting when new things like this come out Pre only, which is often!
    I'm very sorry about this. In VBA's case it's because of some of the ASM I wrote only works on the Pre CPU--but it's easy enough to use C equivalents there (at a performance hit). The other issue is the resolution change--if nothing else means that even the places in my code that are robust to resolution changes need to be retested on a pixi to make sure things look right.... sometimes completely redone--for example the Help screen text often completely fills the pre's screen.

And I'm sorry to say the biggest reason is that I don't own a pixi so it's hard to test/I forget how important it is . Sorry.

I do hope to support the pixi eventually and if someone with a pixi who knows how to code wants to tackle it I'd be more than happy to advise/guide/help the process.

Or maybe I'll just write a few lines that takes the 320x480 output of VBA and scales it to 320x400 and displays that
    Quake
    thread
    VisualBoyAdvance
    thread App Cat
    X11/XServer/Xterm
    thread
    SuperNES
    thread App Cat

18.    #98  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic-NKT View Post
    @zParticle:
    if i recall it correctly dtzWill had huge Problems with overlay controls (atleast with VBA) thats why the never were implemented in a official release. Maybe this is the same with SuperNES (as they both use OpenGL ES for rendering).
    Yep. Couldn't get alpha transparency to be anything but TERRIBLY slow. The invisible controller would work, but I'm not sure it would work as well as you'd hope. VBA ships with an 'invisible' skin presently, feel free to give that a try to see if works well for you (and you can play with the controller.cfg values to tweak it too).

That said I'm thinking that I must have been doing something silly, since I refuse to believe that alpha blending is really that slow. Worth another shot--and anyway lots of games do it so apparently it's possible .
    Quake
    thread
    VisualBoyAdvance
    thread App Cat
    X11/XServer/Xterm
    thread
    SuperNES
    thread App Cat

19.    #99  
    Skins like that are allready available for VBA and its quite a good way to control games which need precise button tabbing and so on

anyway i would also like to see portrait touchscreen control.

@dtzWill:
    how hard is it to implement screenroation into the current skin config? shouldnt be to hard i hope. then you could just add a switch to the skin config like "orientation=port/land" or something like that and the skin creaters can create some first skins to try it out.
    as you are using opengl es for rendering in both emulators you could add this to both without much hassle?
    This was actually the game plan, a port/land setting in each skin (existing skins (in VBA's case) would default to landscape, etc).

Yes, if I added this to one you can expect it in the other shortly thereafter

btw, what do you think about the 2.0 updates? do you plan to mix your emus with basic webos standards? i like the idea of having a webos Romlauncher, Options and Info/Help.
    I don't know what you mean, but I've been flying all day and haven't had a chance to read all the details of the updates. What do you mean? Make it a hybrid app?
    Quake
    thread
    VisualBoyAdvance
    thread App Cat
    X11/XServer/Xterm
    thread
    SuperNES
    thread App Cat

Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    Cool enough thanks for the reply! This was just an example but you are not alone, there are many cool new apps coming out that are going Pre only. The Pixi runs the new PDK games fine so knew it had to be more than just hardware alone. I understand not having the device and feeling the call for it. I would recommend though if time permits to look into updating the paid versions of VBA in the app cat, just for more sales if anything =D the foursquare dev that posted his Metrix logs when there was the 2.0 leak running on roadrunner, and it showed 16,000 something Pre users and 10,000 something Pixi users, during the period reported on. So there is a large number of users out there. I most often hear that "there are not as many" as one reason most devs give.

Anyway keep up the good work! I am going to pass this along to some friends running the Pre!!
Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast