Page 14 of 34 FirstFirst ... 491011121314151617181924 ... LastLast
Like Tree20Likes
    Excellent! Thanks for your work!
    Sprint Pre - Starfighter Kernel
    Quote Originally Posted by dtzWill View Post
    Confirmed that Mystic Quest doesn't work.

Lucky for you I was able to track down why it wasn't working and just committed the fix.

It will work in the next release.

As for constant button presses--there *should* be a spot between the two on-screen buttons that holds them both down (their 'activated' areas are intentionally designed to overlap). It can be slightly tricky, but works fine for me in SMW. Or use two fingers I guess .

If you're so inclined you might consider editing a skin to make the overlap something you find more usable... and if you do so please share back with the rest of us, there are probably others that feel as you do.
    I'm just kinda brainstorming here but what if you had the ability to lock a button by holding the gesture area and tapping the button or something like that?

Then in SMW for example you would run full speed if Y was locked down and only have to worry about making your jumps.
    Confirmed that Mystic Quest doesn't work.

Lucky for you I was able to track down why it wasn't working and just committed the fix.

It will work in the next release.

As for constant button presses--there *should* be a spot between the two on-screen buttons that holds them both down (their 'activated' areas are intentionally designed to overlap). It can be slightly tricky, but works fine for me in SMW. Or use two fingers I guess .

If you're so inclined you might consider editing a skin to make the overlap something you find more usable... and if you do so please share back with the rest of us, there are probably others that feel as you do.
    thanks for the heads up and I don't think I'm skilled enough to make a skin or have the proper tools for it
    Quote Originally Posted by morcus View Post
    I'm just kinda brainstorming here but what if you had the ability to lock a button by holding the gesture area and tapping the button or something like that?

Then in SMW for example you would run full speed if Y was locked down and only have to worry about making your jumps.
    I love this idea!
    The newest version of SuperNES now has a game reset option. I'm so mega glad that this feature was added!!!

Carrier: Sprint
    Device: Palm Pre
    Favorite App: NesEm
    Favorite Modification: UberKernel

Quote Originally Posted by morcus View Post

And I also like this idea. It wouldn't work well with all games, but it would still be a nice feature to call upon when needed in a specific game.

Any chance of maybe a turbo buttons feature (aka, press the button repeatedly, not speed up emulation)? I know of at least one required spot in Chrono Trigger where you have to tap A repeatedly that was made very difficult by the touchscreen controls (and the keyboard buttons didn't work much better).
    I love the fullscreen stretched landscape view - awesome work!

One thing I noticed that's pretty spiffy is that if you pick the landscape fullscreen, and turn OFF the skin, it will still utilize the skin's button positions on the screen even though it isnt visibly showing them. So with my RPG2 skin selected I'm still able to use my ABXY buttons just by tapping somewhere on the left hand side of the screen with great accuracy even though the skin is invisible (A on top, B below, X below that, then Y near the bottom).

-That- is my new favorite way to play RPG's, great screen real estate and full functionality. (EDIT: it also works with my RPGJOY skin posted below, if you want an onscreen joystick - although that skin is so transparent it's really not obtrusive to have it on and visible).

Now I might try including a tiny joystick in the bottom right and see if I can still make it usable with minimal screen intrusion... EDIT: Done, see a few posts down for RPGJOY - my new favorite skin!
    Last edited by ncinerate; 09/10/2010 at 08:09 PM.
    Been looking through several pages and still haven't found a direct link for the ipk download.

Is there a direct link? I haven't gotten the feed to update right. I've added many feeds to Preware, but the one required never seems to work.
    You can find it here: Index of /feeds/webos-internals/testing/armv7/

But I don't recommend you do that. Just add that url properly to your feeds and it -will- work.
    Ok, here's my newest skin. I call it RPGJOY... Once again, feel free to use this in any upcoming updates!

This skin is meant for use with the stretched fullscreen landscape mode (so make sure you put stretch = on in your options).

I've made this skin extra-transparent, the buttons are BARELY visible. There is the ABXY buttons down the left side, and on the bottom right hand side of the screen is a circle with a 4 way dpad symbol in it. Put your right thumb inside the circle and slide it the direction you'd like to move, I've fiddled with deadzones etc and it seems to be -very- nicely accurate and comfortable. On the left hand side of the screen is the ABXY buttons. I haven't added an onscreen L/R button as they are seldom used in RPG's, and I similarly haven't added an onscreen start/select button. My goal here is for the cleanest possible fullscreen experience without distracting buttons etc.

Playing chrono trigger with it as I type this and it's wonderful. Here is the zip file with the config file and the skin (place these into your SNES/SKINS/RPGJOY directory - if it doesn't exist, you'll have to make it - or you can extract the file into the /snes/skins directory and it should automatically make the /RPGJOY folder for you). I've also included a .png file if you want to get a preview of what the skin looks like....

Give it a try, I think it's great! If you guys have any suggestions that might improve it let me know and I'll be happy to play around with it a bit. I'm not convinced I need to put start/select on the main screen, but perhaps someone can come up with a reason I should have L/R on there.... I could also swap the ABXY/D-pad if anyone prefers that (I dont know why, but I prefer right-hand d-pad joystick nowadays, probably habit from more modern dual-joystick controllers).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by ncinerate; 09/10/2010 at 08:06 PM.
    Hey DTZ, just wanted to note a bug in the most recent superNES.

In the stretched landscape view (fullscreen with improper aspect ratio), the screen isnt actually taking up the -full- screen.

There is a bar of black roughly 15-20 pixels tall on the bottom of the screen... It's a really minor nitpick but I imagine a pretty simple fix to stretch the screen out just a hair wider (I'd do it myself, but I see no way to make edits to the stretched screen size from a skin cfg file - the stretched landscape screen seems to override any settings I put into place).

A minor fix and I think everything is -perfect-.
  13.    #273  
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
    Hey DTZ, just wanted to note a bug in the most recent superNES.

In the stretched landscape view (fullscreen with improper aspect ratio), the screen isnt actually taking up the -full- screen.

There is a bar of black roughly 15-20 pixels tall on the bottom of the screen... It's a really minor nitpick but I imagine a pretty simple fix to stretch the screen out just a hair wider (I'd do it myself, but I see no way to make edits to the stretched screen size from a skin cfg file - the stretched landscape screen seems to override any settings I put into place).

A minor fix and I think everything is -perfect-.
    Thanks for the report!

Yes stretch just fills the screen completely regardless of any skin settings.

What game(s) exhibit this behavior? I'm unable to reproduce in the testing I've done so far... So seems limited to certain games.

Anyway let me know an example where this happens and I'll look into it
    Quake
    thread
    VisualBoyAdvance
    thread App Cat
    X11/XServer/Xterm
    thread
    SuperNES
    thread App Cat

If you like my work, please consider donating or buying VBA!
    Does anyone know if this emulator could handle Game Genie support? Not like the NesEm with it's server holding onto the codes, but more like some PC emulators where you just type in the codes.

Thanks for the report!

Yes stretch just fills the screen completely regardless of any skin settings.

What game(s) exhibit this behavior? I'm unable to reproduce in the testing I've done so far... So seems limited to certain games.

Anyway let me know an example where this happens and I'll look into it
    You're absolutely right, it appears to be game-specific (I apologize for not realizing this in advance). I'm noticing it specifically in chrono trigger, but when I switch to final fantasy 3 it's full-screen in use with absolutely no problems. Weird!

If you're not seeing this issue in chrono trigger it might be my pre/superNES install....
    Thats because some games have other resolutions... not every snes games runs at the same.
  17.    #277  
    It does not happen on my copy of Chrono Trigger.

I believe it happens on my copy of final fantasy V, but only happens in certain parts.

Anyway, I don't think it's your install. I'm on the road and can't easily review the related code now but I'll take a look when I get home, or tomorrow.

Would you mind keeping a save where you see this behavior? I would very much appreciate being able to confirm the issue fixed before declaring it so and pushing it .
    ..Despite this being the testing feed. heh .
    Quake
    thread
    VisualBoyAdvance
    thread App Cat
    X11/XServer/Xterm
    thread
    SuperNES
    thread App Cat

If you like my work, please consider donating or buying VBA!
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    It could be a PAL version of Chrono Trigger? Not sure if that'd cause it, or if region has any affect on the emulator at all.
    ---
    dtzWill, if there was one thing I had to ask for, it's absolutely trivial and non-essential, but would be insanely sick if implemented. Support for Snes9X movie files, .smv. I'm not sure if you're familiar with them, but movie playback capabilities, to put it another way. Recording would be insane to implement, but I'm talking about a recording of button inputs to be played back in the form of a file. There are builds of Snes9x (with source) I could point you to, but I'm not sure how feasible or possible it is.

It's mostly inspired from tasvideos.org ... Loading up a movie file inside SuperSNES on a Pre would be an incredible thing. A game that plays itself on Touchstone. Nerdgasm. LOL... Like I said, totally trivial and non-essential, but would be really really cool.
    This is going to sound really weird DTZ, but in trying to figure out *** was going on I learned something odd about chrono trigger.

Namely, as I watch the opening sequence (if you just let it sit and play it's movie showing various places in the game) - several places have the proper aspect ratio, and several places do not.

So what I'm saying is, I think it's just a fluke related to chrono trigger and has -nothing- to do with emulation. Since several parts of the intro video are taking up the complete screen, I can only assume it's part of the actual game and cannot be fixed by screen size adjustment. I just happened to be in an area where this behavior is present (the millennium fair), so it was glaringly noticeable.

It's not an issue on other roms and so I don't think it's a bug in superNES. Thanks for the concern DTZ!
    Hello all,

I'm new to the Palm Pre, but just updated it to 1.4.5 (WebOS). I have followed the directions on the wiki for SuperNes, but I do not find SuperNes in Preware. I have updated and uninstalled and re-installed Preware. Is there another way to install SuperNes on the Palm Pre Plus? Is there another place I can go to get it? Any help/direction would be great. I appreciate the help.

Thank you.