1.    #1  
    Hi there,

I've been around here a while and have a number of patches etc installed on my Pre and a few weeks ago I thought I'd give overclocking a try. I installed Uberkernal and Govner and set it to screenstate 500/800 but I'm going to be honest - I don't really see a great deal/any difference in the speed that the phone runs.

Is this something that others have noticed or is it just me? And could it be due to the fact that I don't often have more that a few cards open at a time and so even when not overclocked there isn't much for the processor to do so that when overclocked it doesn't really affect anything?

I'm not disputing the fact that for most if not all, overclocking does improve the speed and performance of the Pre I'm just wondering why it doesn't for me!

~ Icklepriest
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    I agree with your assessment. I, too, followed the same procedure and see what appears to be only a minor increase in speed on my Pre Plus... But it's not "blazing fast," as I thought it might be from the other posts I've seen here.

Any others' thoughts on this....?

Mike
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Try your Pre at 1ghz. It is noticeably faster.
    The difference I see is mostly in launch times for apps, load times for web pages, and smoother scrolling. You can find some side by side comparisons on youtube that show the difference. While some people may not describe it as "blazing" it does make a noticeable difference.
    I guess the result of overclocking vary on each individual phone. Compare to stock I personally see a significant difference. (i.e. Smoother scrolling.. Better overall performance.. Speed. Etc.) Are you following the installation process correctly? Remember overclocking is not like adding turbo to an old car. These are electronic devices were dealing with. :-)

Ps. Maybe you should try something with a lot more kick. (Blackbird 1.2GHz in the testing feeds.
    I use it on my Sprint Pre and it has almost totally eliminated the TMC error. (too many cards).

However, I do see speed increases as I have done a battle (speed/app loading) with the Sprint Pre vs. Verizon Pre, both without overclock, and once with Sprint ovrclkd and Verizon's again stock.

The Sprint faired much better and won in many instances over Verizon, simply because it was 'uberized'.

I wouldn't care if it slowed my Pre down as long as the TMC stays away!
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    I have noted a significant improvement going from 500 to 800, including the elimination of re-starts. I keep it at performance 800/800, get good battery life and clearly faster loading of apps. I am currently downloading the update with 1gh now.
    when I first used uber a few months ago I noticed a big differnce between 500 and 800. So much so that when I put it back to 500 just for a test I could not stand to keep it there. Now today I up it to 1g and it is awsome.
    This is out of left field but one thing I want to mention - If you set screenstate 500/800 and have brightness on your phone set too low, it will stay at 500. Not sure why but there is a lower limit for what the screen state governor will register as ON and OFF.

I run my pre at 25% brightness as a result. If you're not already there give it a shot!

800 mhz for me was night and day better than 500 mhz (and I'm currently running the 1005 and loving it).
    well when is use the pre on the touchsone while it is scaled back to 500 I can tell the difference.
    make sure you close the govna app before testing. If you keave it open it will absorbe any speed increase with it's polling tasks...
    Quote Originally Posted by icklepriest View Post
    Hi there,

I've been around here a while and have a number of patches etc installed on my Pre and a few weeks ago I thought I'd give overclocking a try. I installed Uberkernal and Govner and set it to screenstate 500/800 but I'm going to be honest - I don't really see a great deal/any difference in the speed that the phone runs.

Is this something that others have noticed or is it just me? And could it be due to the fact that I don't often have more that a few cards open at a time and so even when not overclocked there isn't much for the processor to do so that when overclocked it doesn't really affect anything?

I'm not disputing the fact that for most if not all, overclocking does improve the speed and performance of the Pre I'm just wondering why it doesn't for me!

~ Icklepriest
    I can echo you're sentiment and have a similar post in one of the other OC threads. I think several things are a play here:

1) There are "known" issues with TI chip batches used in the Pre's. Some of the "under performing" chips may not actually be at 500mhz at stated due to internal issues. UK is giving these a much needed boost that is noticeable.

2) Other TI chips may be a bit stronger and run better (possibly slightly over 500) and these Pre's work great.

The kicker is all in the apps, I've posted numerous times before that poor 3rd party apps can bring down your Pre's performance faster than a car with watered down gasoline. Again the app launcher card pulses have been timed at 1.06s (avg) and with the 800 the average was only .98s to 1.01s which is effectively 1 second.

The constant battery pulls for lockups were not worth the negligible difference in speed. We run clean apps and non-dynamic patches and 98% of our apps launch in 1 "pulse" (i.e 1 sec).

When I game, I restart Java and don't get the TMC. When I want to play CoD on my home PC, I have to reboot for it to run well there too so why should I expect my 'handheld computer' to do any less. Besides java restart is like what 15-20 secs?

-CK
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
    This is out of left field but one thing I want to mention - If you set screenstate 500/800 and have brightness on your phone set too low, it will stay at 500. Not sure why but there is a lower limit for what the screen state governor will register as ON and OFF.

I run my pre at 25% brightness as a result. If you're not already there give it a shot!

800 mhz for me was night and day better than 500 mhz (and I'm currently running the 1005 and loving it).
    you must be using an old version--the screenstate was 'fixed' a while ago for proper touchstone behavior. it should scale back to 500 when charging or on the touchstone charging, and run at 800 (or whatever upper limit you set the cpu) at all other times when the screen is on. my screen is at the lowest setting and it runs fine at the selected overclocking level.
    Quote Originally Posted by icklepriest View Post
    Hi there,

~ Icklepriest
    Do you have a Pre+ on Verizon or Pre- on sprint? You won't discern as much of a difference on the Pre+ as you would on the Pre- afaikafaikafaik...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaurav View Post
    Do you have a Pre+ on Verizon or Pre- on sprint? You won't discern as much of a difference on the Pre+ as you would on the Pre- afaikafaikafaik...
    Thank you all for your help, I am currently running a Pre- on O2 (in the UK). (At the moment it is currently being fixed due to the screen 'touching itself' but that's a different matter!) So when I get it back I'll give it another go at being overclocked and see what happens!

Just out of interest, how many cards do people normally have open? Could it be that keeping only one or two open at any time has something to do with not seeing much difference between stock and overclocked?

~ Icklepriest
    Quote Originally Posted by RL View Post
    Ps. Maybe you should try something with a lot more kick. (Blackbird 1.2GHz in the testing feeds.
    ....perhaps, not....the multitude of testing kernels are NOT really for mass public consumption....
    -- VZW Pre+ -- Uberk/Gov fixed @ 1ghz -- QPST gps mod -- stock battery (?mugen 3800?) --