Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I know there's no native file explorer/.ipk installer...is there ANYWAY at all??
    If you are comfortable with Linux commands, see

Installing Preware from the Commandline on this page

Application:Preware - WebOS Internals
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    If you are comfortable with Linux commands, see

Installing Preware from the Commandline on this page
    that's perfect...but is there an app in the market to let me run a terminal like that? Android had terminal emulator where I could do commands like that...vut a search for "terminal" "novaterm" and "linux commandline" in the app cata brought back nothing.

tia
    Quote Originally Posted by sirenwails View Post
    that's perfect...but is there an app in the market to let me run a terminal like that? Android had terminal emulator where I could do commands like that...vut a search for "terminal" "novaterm" and "linux commandline" in the app cata brought back nothing.

tia
    Yes but Terminal is a homebrew app. You need Preware or WebOS Quick Install to get it.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by vza33 View Post
    Yes but Terminal is a homebrew app. You need Preware or WebOS Quick Install to get it.
    my goal is to install preware without pc acess at all. I've downloaded the .ipk, so I know it's in my storage...but I don't know how to install it without internalz or webosQI. I used an app called download manager, which is cool for dling mp3s, but didn't know what to do with an ipk. Is there any app in the cata that will let me install an ipk, or run the correct linux commands?

tia
  6.    #6  
    does palm not let us post a file manager in the cata? I find it hard to believe that wouldn't let us, it seems such a basic need unfulfilled!
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Wasn't the early webOS versions able to install ipk's from a email link? I think that got patched somewhere along the way and can no longer be done, but if you were to do a factory reset so that it goes back to original webOS and then look up how to setup the link properly, you might be able to install Terminal. Just need to search the forum here to see what the link protocol would be. I don't know really what I'm talking about but thought I'd toss that out.
    You would save yourself a lot of trouble by installing WEBOSQI on a friend's PC and installing Preware using it. From then on, you can be independent of a PC.
    Quote Originally Posted by sirenwails View Post
    my goal is to install preware without pc acess at all. I've downloaded the .ipk, so I know it's in my storage...but I don't know how to install it without internalz or webosQI. I used an app called download manager, which is cool for dling mp3s, but didn't know what to do with an ipk. Is there any app in the cata that will let me install an ipk, or run the correct linux commands?

tia
    Bonekeep is correct. The ability to sideload apps via emailing the ipk's was disabled in an early update.
    Do you mind my asking why you would want to install without pc access? Are you just trying to see if it is possible, or do you not have access to a computer?
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
  10.    #10  
    I got my new pre in the mail and have no acess to a computer. I suppose poc is cool too, it might help others!

so with no available file manager, app installer, or terminal...what are my options?

why hasn't anyone submitted such an app to palm? I can't bring myself to believe they would deny it.
    Palm doesn't allow any app in the app catalog that uses restricted APIs. At the moment, this includes the package manger and the filesystem API. PDK apps, can access file system, but only in their little sandbox, not system-wide.
    danNielson.com - Slalom - twitter - facebook
    A posted thanks dies with the thread. Clicking the button lasts until the admins get bored with this site and throw it in the recycling bin.
  12.    #12  
    that's nuts. I guess it's time like these opensource seems very attractive.
    webos should release their source, it would give them the leap they need.

so, kinda just looking for a final answer: nothing I can do?

tia
    the palm pre source code is open source.
  14.    #14  
    so, kinda just looking for a final answer; nothing I can do?

tia
    Nope, without preware on your phone, then I would say - No.

Even with the preware standalone installer, unfortunately, you still need a PC. This process doesn't need webosQI for installation.
    Last edited by rush; 08/17/2010 at 01:30 PM.
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    So why cannot someone put the PreWare installer into Palm's web catalog??
    Quote Originally Posted by Brawler View Post
    Not entirely.

@rposa, Just because we can view and edit many of the inner workings of our phones, that doesn't mean Palm is just going to let us run willy-nilly over the app-catalog. That is a separate system designed to ensure a certain quality over the platform as a whole. And the reason they restrict certain APIs is that they aren't finalized yet and are potentially subject to major changes at any time.
    danNielson.com - Slalom - twitter - facebook
    A posted thanks dies with the thread. Clicking the button lasts until the admins get bored with this site and throw it in the recycling bin.
    Quote Originally Posted by rposa View Post
    Because it allows access to things Palm hasn't approved.

Palm would never allow it into their catalog.
    Quote Originally Posted by rposa View Post
    Probably because you can install Preware via Terminal. Once you have Terminal and or Internalz, you can be pretty much independent of a PC.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Quote Originally Posted by Brawler View Post
    No, none of the actual code is open source. The only OS stuff in webOS would be:

1) The few packages listed at Welcome to opensource.palm.com - Palm
    2) The various patches they've implemented

None of the underlying C/C++ code is OS (except what they use based off of OpenEmbedded), and none of the UI is OS (except what they make OS, or what patches they implement).

While we can view the UI's source code, it is NOT open source.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast