Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1.    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Yep, it's a bright line of security. You can't install advanced homebrew that runs install scripts as the root user until you have installed and advanced homebrew installer, and advanced homebrew installers that run install scripts as root are not allowed in the app catalog, nor does webOS as distributed by Palm have any known vulnerabilities to install such an application over the air.

Put simply, it means that people who have never crossed that line cannot be caught out by malware distributed via social engineering.

-- Rod
    you typed the answer to my question as I typed that question.

we would make good friends in real life.
    Quote Originally Posted by sirenwails View Post
    so webos is open source
    webOS is not open source. It is a proprietary product with a very specific license which is not OSI compatible.

Some of the webOS javascript code is accessible and readable, but that does not make it open source.

The Linux kernel upon which webOS runs, and some of the userland applications, are open source. You can find those at opensource.palm.com

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  3.    #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    webOS is not open source. It is a proprietary product with a very specific license which is not OSI compatible.

Some of the webOS javascript code is accessible and readable, but that does not make it open source.

The Linux kernel upon which webOS runs, and some of the userland applications, are open source. You can find those at opensource.palm.com

-- Rod
    been following android since the launch of the g1. Coming from linux, so webos sppealed more than...obviously the iphone, or wm or whatever you know.

I know ever since I bought the phone, google gave us everything they worked on and kinda asked the open community to spruce it up, then we released it. They even gave the kernel tree to us! How did you guys oc without the kernel code? Compile your own? That takes devotion.

I love the work you guys do. I'll stick around for nextgen, see what you got. I know open source would change palm, and probably for the better. Internals is practically their lifeline, w.o you guys, why would anyone actually buy the phone? Open source would bring over a few great linux developers, android or otherwise, and make palm what could be.
    Quote Originally Posted by sirenwails View Post
    absolutely! Internalz is a great app...palm should tidy it up and make it their first file manager release! Compensating the author, of course,,,or let the dev post it...you get the idea.

but interals can only be installed from preware/wqi. Catch 22
    right on, thats what i figured, just hadn't tested that ipk since I have my preware already installed right now.

Also, when the lastest webOS update came through, I still had preware on and internalz following the installation, so in most cases, wont at least one of these apps be on your device still?

sj
  5.    #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by sjsharksfan View Post
    right on, thats what i figured, just hadn't tested that ipk since I have my preware already installed right now.

Also, when the lastest webOS update came through, I still had preware on and internalz following the installation, so in most cases, wont at least one of these apps be on your device still?

sj
    when I did the update I used the doctor for a clean install (sprint pre) but I thot I read somewhere preware/kernels are able to get their way through an update...some patches cannot? Not 100 percent... But either way, I'm talking about a brand new phone.

|and no pc for almost 2 months|
    Last edited by sirenwails; 08/18/2010 at 04:14 PM.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123