Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rposa View Post
    So why cannot someone put the PreWare installer into Palm's web catalog??
    If you were able to install Preware from the app catalogue, or some other means without requiring developer mode and a host USB novacom connection, that would indicate a serious security vulnerability that Palm would need to fix asap.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 08/17/2010 at 04:26 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by sirenwails View Post
    I know there's no native file explorer/.ipk installer...is there ANYWAY at all??
    Why do you want to do this? The only reason I can think of would be so I can run around and overclock all the phones on display at Verizon and AT&T stores.

Other than that... its not that big of a deal to use a PC, unless I'm missing something...
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    Why do you want to do this? The only reason I can think of would be so I can run around and overclock all the phones on display at Verizon and AT&T stores.

Other than that... its not that big of a deal to use a PC, unless I'm missing something...
    I was able to root and install a custom rom all from my hero. Is that a serious flaw in androids security.

I'm not trying to compare android vs webos.

it just seems that if palm is failing,and their last remaining hope is merging with hp...they need to come at 2.0 and nextgen hardware HARD. I only switched from android for hardware performance (oc to 1ghz...its a cheapnotandroid snapdragon solution) and I see the possibilities in palm and webos but after a year of development, they seem below par and I expect them to have their afairs in order for nextgen. Their lacking in what seems to be the simple things in what's expected of a smartphone today. No file manager? A stock android device doesn't come with one installed (actually the sams moment DOES) but it's easily available in the market.

I'll admit alot of android apps are useless but in the big picture, a stock g1 comes more equipped than a palm pre.

I love webos an amd excited to see the future of palm.
    Were you able to get preware on your phone?
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by rush View Post
    Were you able to get preware on your phone?
    I will be home in 6 weeks and able to do it then.
    what about using dropbox & dropboxify and put the preware ipk in and then install with internalz, would you be able to install preware with those tools?

or downloading the ipk directly to your phone ad then using internalz..

EDIT: the reason why I suggest this method is I just tested with another app and it worked perfectly. If you have already had preware installed, then the ipk is already downloaded to your phone. The media/internal directory has downloaded ipk files, as well as a .developer folder (in the media/internal dir)

when you open the ipk files in internalz, you are prompted to install.

and my test was with an app that I had installed in the past, but has since been uninstalled. I simply found the ipk files and reinstalled, tested and the app works flawlessly.

the test app was mobile hotspot (the ryanhope1014 & freetetherD003 files..

sj
    Last edited by sjsharksfan; 08/18/2010 at 12:10 AM.
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by sjsharksfan View Post
    what about using bropbox & dropboxify and put the preware ipk in and then install with internalz, would you be able to install preware with those tools?

or downloading the ipk directly to your phone ad then using internalz..

sj
    internalz requires preware/webosQI
    I was just about to say that... Well you'll have preware in six weeks then.

Life move fast... Don't be left behind. :-)
    I was able to root and install a custom rom all from my hero. Is that a serious flaw in androids security.
    So you can take a Hero out of the box from the manufacturer, and install a custom ROM on it without ever hooking it up to a computer?

I am skeptical of that being the case, unless it is using an exploit of a security vulnerability. But please educate me if it is indeed the case

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    So you can take a Hero out of the box from the manufacturer, and install a custom ROM on it without ever hooking it up to a computer?

I am skeptical of that being the case, unless it is using an exploit of a security vulnerability. But please educate me if it is indeed the case

-- Rod
    I don't follow this forum very much at all, but from what I gather, you are a founding member of internals. For this reason, I'll continue in assumption that you know what the root exploit is.

before installing a custom rom (i used darchdroid, aosp cyn ported over to the hero) you must first gain root and install a custom img and recovery partition. In most cases, this is carried out by a strings of commands committed through adb(android debug bridge) but with future releases of the software a third party apk is all that's really needed. I used an app called flashrec, which rooted, unlocked nandroid, and flashed the recovery of my choice.

that's the gist of it. I dled the rom over wifi in about 8 minutes, and flashed it via recovery. I hadn't even plugged my phone into the WALL for the first time, let alone to my pc.

I guess from a business pov it's a security flaw, but I don't mind, and the rest of the aosp community doesn't seem to either.

also check out the wireless root for the evo, "unrevoked".
  11.    #31  
    quick add-on... I downloaded flashrec from some thread on xda, and used estrong file manager to locate, and install the app. Estrong is available in the market for free. If estrong didn't have the capability to explore the storage on your phone, AND a package installer in one, another app called "linda application manager" scans your sd ard for .apk's and allows you to install and uninstall with a sortable list and friendly ui.
    I don't follow this forum very much at all, but from what I gather, you are a founding member of internals. For this reason, I'll continue in assumption that you know what the root exploit is.

before installing a custom rom (i used darchdroid, aosp cyn ported over to the hero) you must first gain root and install a custom img and recovery partition. In most cases, this is carried out by a strings of commands committed through adb(android debug bridge) but with future releases of the software a third party apk is all that's really needed. I used an app called flashrec, which rooted, unlocked nandroid, and flashed the recovery of my choice.

that's the gist of it. I dled the rom over wifi in about 8 minutes, and flashed it via recovery. I hadn't even plugged my phone into the WALL for the first time, let alone to my pc.

I guess from a business pov it's a security flaw, but I don't mind, and the rest of the aosp community doesn't seem to either.

also check out the wireless root for the evo, "unrevoked".
    OK, so it is either something you install from a connected computer via adb, or an exploit of some sort. That's what I expected.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    I am totally not qualified to talk about security - but Rod is. I was just genuinely interested in why this is so important to you - like if you don't have access to a pc, etc.

but, your response makes me wonder... You know that Preware (and this forum) are not affiliated with Palm, right? So Rod's team and the magic they produce is no reflection on Palm other than how brilliant Palm is for an architecture that makes Preware possible... Just checking.
  14.    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    I am totally not qualified to talk about security - but Rod is. I was just genuinely interested in why this is so important to you - like if you don't have access to a pc, etc.

but, your response makes me wonder... You know that Preware (and this forum) are not affiliated with Palm, right? So Rod's team and the magic they produce is no reflection on Palm other than how brilliant Palm is for an architecture that makes Preware possible... Just checking.
    lol I am aware internals is not affiliated with palm. Bringing palm up was just to make a point of observation: package installer aside, a file explorer of some sort seems like a huge missing link in the chain. My other point was directed more towards palm themselves: get your **** together! Iphone aside, android is taking over, man, and palm could easily give them a run for their money. Giving developers more "sand" for their sandbox might be their only way of making it.

I thought I read an article about android ditching sense and blurr and actually hiring someone from webos to give android a universal ui. A touch of webos! In android!

fwiw
    internalz requires preware/webosQI
    what if you already have internalz installed? Would it be able to install preware ipk then?
  16.    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by sjsharksfan View Post
    what if you already have internalz installed? Would it be able to install preware ipk then?
    absolutely! Internalz is a great app...palm should tidy it up and make it their first file manager release! Compensating the author, of course,,,or let the dev post it...you get the idea.

but interals can only be installed from preware/wqi. Catch 22
    absolutely! Internalz is a great app...palm should tidy it up and make it their first file manager release! Compensating the author, of course,,,or let the dev post it...you get the idea.

Yup! That's what I was saying.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    there is a facebook group you can join to twll Palm to draft the internalz dev to join Palm...

Yep, it's a bright line of security. You can't install advanced homebrew that runs install scripts as the root user until you have installed an advanced homebrew installer, and advanced homebrew installers that run install scripts as root are not allowed in the app catalog, nor does webOS as distributed by Palm have any known vulnerabilities to install such an application over the air.

Put simply, it means that people who have never crossed that line cannot be caught out by malware distributed via social engineering.

-- Rod
  20.    #40  
    so webos is open source, but the appcata is reviewed by palm? If internalz can explore the phone, install a package, and use the slide to delete unique to webos, that kind of functionality would need direct chunks of code right from webos source code. palm won't let an app that can do that too the official appcata? How do we install a kernel without root/superuser permission/administrator rights? That seems like a flaw in security, and installing one would void the warranty like rooting an android device. My head is spinning! I'll rape google right now and figure it out

I'm generally tech savvy, but the laws behind os is escaping me.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast