Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by sjamie View Post
    What does compcache actually do? How do you pick the right amount (24mb, 32mb, etc.)?
    Yes, can someone enlighten us? I too wonder how to choose the right amount.

BTW, I have been running the above settings for a week and zero resetting/freezing/any problems. Almost ready to set my husband up with overclocking.
    i'm still confused what "Conservative" mode is. anyone have a simple answer?
    thanks.
    ***I Twitter***

Stop complaining & start doing ---> Leave feedback/suggestions for Palm here
    Quote Originally Posted by RanGT View Post
    i'm still confused what "Conservative" mode is. anyone have a simple answer?
    thanks.
    Consevative mode allows the kernel to delegate the CPU frequency according to the task at hand.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Quote Originally Posted by sjamie View Post
    What does compcache actually do? How do you pick the right amount (24mb, 32mb, etc.)?
    Quote Originally Posted by thomsens View Post
    Yes, can someone enlighten us? I too wonder how to choose the right amount.

BTW, I have been running the above settings for a week and zero resetting/freezing/any problems. Almost ready to set my husband up with overclocking.
    Thanks to errade:

How it works:
    The Sprint Pre has 256MB RAM in total - a certain proportion of this is dedicated to actually running the system, which is why the compache memlimit only lets you choose up to 128MB.

Now let's say you choose a 16MB memlimit - this reserves and locks 16MB of RAM and then converts it into virtual space that accepts compressed data - effectively meaning that your 16MB has just (theoretically) transformed into 32MB (or more, or less) - so you've just increased the number of apps you can open (or the quantity of RAM that they have available to them).

The problem is that this 16MB is now reserved for your apps. The danger comes when you reserve so much RAM for compache that you use all of your physical RAM up - if the RAM is full, then the system uses what's called a swap area which behaves like RAM but is actually flash which is MUCH slower.

Now, imagine you'd reserved 128MB for compache and you're running several 3D games - well you'll definitely run out of physical RAM, and the system will begin to use swap - if somebody then phones you, or your device tries to do a backup, or you get an email, or a calendar alert comes through, the swap area will have to deal with it - as a result you might miss your notification or the process might fail altogether.

So, in other words:

1) The Light User
    If you are the sort of person who only ever runs 2-3 light apps at a time such as Messaging, Calendar and maybe a twitter client - then you'd be safe to choose 128MB compache (but you really wouldn't need to because you already have enough RAM to do that).
    Result: Choose a low memlimit like 16MB for a small but hopefully noticeable boost.

2) The extreme user
    If you're the sort of person who likes to run two 3D games at once as well as a browser window and some other cards, setting the memlimit to 128MB would definitely be advantageous, but you are much more at risk to the dangers described above.
    Result: If you want to run loads of cards and you're not worried about missing any calls or notifications etc, choose a high memlimit of 96MB or 128MB this will give you the best performance to be able to do that.

3) The average user
    If you like to mix it up - a bit of light usage but sometimes a 3D game or three heavy websites at a time - you might like to set your memlimit halfway, perhaps between 32MB-64MB.
    Result: Choose a modest memlimit like 32MB or 48MB - good for the average user who occasionally makes heavy use of their phone.

So you see, the higher the memlimit, the more performance you can squeeze out of your phone, but the more you risk drowning out other processes which may (or may not) be important to you. Therefore, you can choose how much or how little RAM to dedicate to compache based on how much risk you are willing to take and how much performance you wish to gain.

Originaly posted by errade in the Govnah thread.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Screenstate / 500/1000
    Compressed Swap Enabled / 64MB
    I/O Scheduler / CFQ
    TCP Congestion / Cubic

TEMPS
    Idle / 25-30
    Normal / 30 -35
    Heavy / 40-50

Battery Lasts about 24hours with Normal Use

Works good for me.

Does anyone suggest using different setting for I/O Scheduler or TCP Congestion?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12