Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    as the title says...now that UK has a 1GHz scaling...any difference between it and Thunderchief? Besides for testing purposes?
    Last edited by dovwollner; 08/10/2010 at 01:39 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by dovwollner View Post
    as the title says...now that UK has a 1GHz scaling...any difference between it and Thunderchief? Besides for testing purposes?
    You could check the compile code on the webos-internals git to see if there are any differences in the code used.
    But taking the purpose of alpha testing into account, I should imagine it is the same code that has been extensively tested through the development of F105 But don't take my word for it as I haven't checked into the uber code.

You might also want to request your thread title be rephrased as the kernels are not in competition, they are trying to get stable features into the public release uberkernel.

Edit: Where I refer to the compile code and my assumption, I refer specifically to the code related to the 1ghz scaling. Not the differences in other general features of the two kernels, I should imagine you know those already.

Pip
    Last edited by pip smith; 08/10/2010 at 12:42 PM.
    lots of differences
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
    The UberKernel methodically integrates the best features from the testing kernels into the most stable package available for public release. The new 1GHz option on the Uberkernal is still an alpha release and is being tested. The F105 kernel is much different.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    ...reading is fundamental...f105 and uberk serve different functions...
    -- VZW Pre+ -- Uberk/Gov fixed @ 1ghz -- QPST gps mod -- stock battery (?mugen 3800?) --
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhodnettejr View Post
    ...reading is fundamental...f105 and uberk serve different functions...
    could you point me in the right direction to figure out that difference?

p.s. did someone drop a loaf in your coffee this morning? "reading is fundamental" comes off like a pompous jerk

i am part of several online communities. imagine you were trying to become larger part of that community and need some guidance, and you get responses like yours...

i am a PC tech for 10 years. everything of mine is modded...THAT IS WHY I LOVE WEBos and this community, ad am trying to become a bigger part of it and contribute.

i can see that UK is a compilation of the best additions from other Kernels that are stable, but I wasnt sure if any more benefit would be added from running F105, once UK was out. i can start to understand a little better at this point but could use some clarification.
    Last edited by dovwollner; 08/10/2010 at 01:36 PM.
    i am part of several online communities. imagine you were trying to become larger part of that community and need some guidance
    It is the reason why their respective threads exist and the webos-internals wiki exist.
    I know you can get the link to the psycho kernel page from the F105 thread, not sure about uber.

As for the rest of your comments, I think they are a little misplaced, the user was only stating a key principle of webos-internals alpha testing. And I believe it is quite conceivable to assume that if you have located how to install these kernels then you have also come across their respective precentral threads.

Pip
    What I've learned along the way of counteracting with the public are: You have to get use to sarcastic remarks, and responses. Jokes and gestures. I'm learning to deal with these issues all the time.

We are all about fun on here. So don't take everything with a grain of salt. (Looks who is talking... Right!
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    It is the reason why their respective threads exist and the webos-internals wiki exist.
    I know you can get the link to the psycho kernel page from the F105 thread, not sure about uber.

As for the rest of your comments, I think they are a little misplaced, the user was only stating a key principle of webos-internals alpha testing. And I believe it is quite conceivable to assume that if you have located how to install these kernels then you have also come across their respective precentral threads.

Pip
    you are correct, i should have gone to those threads, im not sure which one of them,. nevertheless , the other member's comment is unwarranted.
    you are correct, i should have gone to those threads, im not sure which one of them,. nevertheless , the other member's comment is unwarranted.
    ...my comment was indeed warranted...you admit that you did not do your research...i read several hundred pages of kernel discussipn and wiki before I even thhought about installing the stable uberk...let alone starting a thread about kernels or installing an alpha kernel...

I stand by my words...pompous or not
    -- VZW Pre+ -- Uberk/Gov fixed @ 1ghz -- QPST gps mod -- stock battery (?mugen 3800?) --
    Gosh I must be feeling generous
    Here is the Uberkernel thread and this is the F105 thread
    You should be able to find differences by reading the first post of each, and I also recommend skimming the whole threads.
    Also check the wiki's so you know where everything is.

Pip
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhodnettejr View Post
    ...my comment was indeed warranted...you admit that you did not do your research...i read several hundred pages of kernel discussipn and wiki before I even thhought about installing the stable uberk...let alone starting a thread about kernels or installing an alpha kernel...

I stand by my words...pompous or not
    Gosh I must be feeling generous
    Here is the Uberkernel thread and this is the F105 thread
    You should be able to find differences by reading the first post of each, and I also recommend skimming the whole threads.
    Also check the wiki's so you know where everything is.

Pip
    thanks PIP, you didnt need to do that. i was already browsing those threads now. also ur links have something wrong.

alright jhod, no hard feelings. i just juxtaposed your reply with pips, . look at the difference. thats all..

i tend to take pip's approach when people, foolishly or not, dont know, or absentmindedly ask questions in a forum. thts why it rubbed me the wrong way.

As for the rest of your comments, I think they are a little misplaced, the user was only stating a key principle of webos-internals alpha testing.
    In fairness to the OP, I have to agree that jhodnettejr's comment could come across a bit snarky and dismissive. I'm not so sure it was said in the context of conveying best practices for alpha testing as much as to bluntly say "RTFM".

I, like many, been testing kernels since the old .sh scripts were out, and with the rapid pace of development on parallel projects, it can understandably get confusing even to some knowledgeable testers what the nuances between newer versions of different kernels are if they're not checking the threads constantly.

A link to the appropriate release notes for the two kernels in question at least guides a lot of other users in the right directing who might come across this thread later using the search function. I'm just as against spoon feeding as everyone else, but a nudge in the right direction usually wont hurt, especially for a user who appears to want to learn.

Lets remember that we want to keep P|C a welcoming and helpful community.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by sq5 View Post
    In fairness to the OP, I have to agree that jhodnettejr's comment could come across a bit snarky and dismissive. I'm not so sure it was said in the context of conveying best practices for alpha testing as much as to bluntly say "RTFM".

I, like many, been testing kernels since the old .sh scripts were out, and with the rapid pace of development on parallel projects, it can understandably get confusing even to some knowledgeable testers what the nuances between newer versions of different kernels are if they're not checking the threads constantly.

A link to the appropriate release notes for the two kernels in question at least guides a lot of other users in the right directing who might come across this thread later using the search function. I'm just as against spoon feeding as everyone else, but a nudge in the right direction usually wont hurt, especially for a user who appears to want to learn.

exactly what i was looking for.

BTW, i think i will need to skim most of the thread, as the OP just gives some info on the kernel, but not in depth,
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    In my mind, the biggest difference between UberKernel and F105 is how each handles memory and the "too many cards" error.

UberKernel uses compcache to try to delay getting the "too many cards" error, but it will still happen. F105 also makes use of compcache, but also completely disables memnotify so the "too many cards" error will never appear. However, once the phone runs out of memory, it will just lock up and will need to be rebooted.

There are other differences, but this is a significant one, in my opinion.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by chowd View Post
    In my mind, the biggest difference between UberKernel and F105 is how each handles memory and the "too many cards" error.

UberKernel uses compcache to try to delay getting the "too many cards" error, but it will still happen. F105 also makes use of compcache, but also completely disables memnotify so the "too many cards" error will never appear. However, once the phone runs out of memory, it will just lock up and will need to be rebooted.

There are other differences, but this is a significant one, in my opinion.
    great info. thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by sq5 View Post

I have to disagree, here is what is asked and expected of alpha testers by webos-internals and this is what is agreed to by users when they add the testing feeds.

Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Anyone participating in WebOS Internals alpha testing of any kind must be prepared to fully erase and webOS Doctor their phone at a moment's notice without warning and without any regrets or complaints.

They must be prepared to and able to log into the command line on the device and type Linux commands when instructed to do so. Knowing Linux commands ahead of time is preferred, but not required if you are willing to learn them when necessary or can follow instructions without making mistakes.

They must be prepared to go to great and extraordinary lengths to try and reliably reproduce any problems they encounter.

They must give full and detailed bug reports, leaving out no piece of information which could possibly be remotely connected to the problem.

They must read any and all documentation and forums threads (in their entirety) before asking a question.

They must fastidiously follow the forum threads where the alpha testing is being discussed by the authors, and follow precisely any instructions given there.

If you're not prepared to do *all* the above, and do it all in good spirit, then please wait for the public release of the item.

If you are prepared to do *all* the above, then by all means please participate in the alpha testing.

Note that everything above is a function of attitude, not of skill.

-- Rod

If you noticed the part I have put in bold then I think that should make it obvious.

As a friendly heads up to everyone, rwhitby has been reiterating since last week that if you are not prepared to have your phone unexpectedly wiped then you should disable the kernel testing feeds. The amount of times he has reposted this, makes me believe that there is a serious threat of this, so please heed this warning.

I also believe this to be a friendly and helpful forum and myself try to be helpful. However I also believe a bit of bluntless is sometimes useful.

Pip
  18.    #18  
    I have to disagree, here is what is asked and expected of alpha testers by webos-internals and this is what is agreed to by users when they add the testing feeds.

If you noticed the part I have put in bold then I think that should make it obvious.

As a friendly heads up to everyone, rwhitby has been reiterating since last week that if you are not prepared to have your phone unexpectedly wiped then you should disable the kernel testing feeds. The amount of times he has reposted this, makes me believe that there is a serious threat of this, so please heed this warning.

I also believe this to be a friendly and helpful forum and myself try to be helpful. However I also believe a bit of bluntless is sometimes useful.

Pip
    no need to reiterate, Pip. i already agreed about it.
    Sorry I should have been a little more clear, it wasn't directed at you, you had already shown the correct attitude by finding those threads
    I was just clarifying for everyone so that we could stop the debate and have a clear answer

Pip
    Besides Pip, be careful when making assumptions about what anyone has or hasn't already done before they've asked a question. Dov may have already read everything he could find and was just seeking some clarification or direction. There are plenty of lazy leeches that post needless questions and deserve a blunt response, but I don't feel this was one of those situations.

The other thing not to assume is that someone is even knowledgeable about those those guidelines (more a disclaimer than hardened rules btw)...that's part of where they need to be directed the first place. We don't want to start down the recursive slope of saying "Shame on you for not reading the rules about reading the rules!" If they don't understand and heed the risks anyway, they sure will soon enough.

Note my low post count...the result of searching and reading A LOT. So we're not exactly in total disagreement here.

Something else you should bold for obvious consumption:
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby;

Note that everything above is a function of attitude, not of skill.

-- Rod
    So remember that for all of us, attitude is key on P|C! (Did I just rhyme?, oh boy...)
    Last edited by sq5; 08/10/2010 at 02:34 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast