Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 39 of 39
  1. lsvteg11's Avatar
    Posts
    44 Posts
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    lots of differences
    good input buddy..
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by sq5 View Post
    Besides Pip, be careful when making assumptions about what anyone has or hasn't already done before they've asked a question. Dov may have already read everything he could find and was just seeking some clarification or direction. There are plenty of lazy leeches that post needless questions and deserve a blunt response, but I don't feel this was one of those situations.

    The other thing not to assume is that someone is even knowledgeable about those those guidelines (more a disclaimer than hardened rules btw)...that's part of where they need to be directed the first place. We don't want to start down the recursive slope of saying "Shame on you for not reading the rules about reading the rules!" If they don't understand and heed the risks anyway, they sure will soon enough.

    Note my low post count...the result of searching and reading A LOT. So we're not exactly in total disagreement here.

    You realise that those rules (and rules is what they are) are posted above the testing feed information on the wiki right.
    See Rules that you must agree to before using these feeds for reference.
    So if people have found the testing feed information then they should also have seen those rules, unless someone is posting those instructions elsewhere against the inherent wishes of webos-internals.

    My only aim is to encourage users, but to encourage and help in the correct way. I do enjoy all this testing myself.

    Something else you should bold for obvious consumption:


    So remember that for all of us, attitude is key
    If I have contradicted the attitude over skill philosophy then please alert me to it so that I can apologise and rectify my post.

    Pip
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post

    (and rules is what they are)
    Non-binding and non-enforceable...but if you say so...

    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post

    So IF people have found the testing feed information then they should also have seen those rules...
    ...which also means you can't assume they didn't make an effort to follow them before asking a question. And if they haven't? A friendly link to help them do so is ok, no?


    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post

    If I have contradicted the attitude over skill philosophy then please alert me to it so that I can apologise and rectify my post.
    *ALERT*: Contradicting the attitude over skill philosophy requires rectifying one's attitude, not necessarily one's posts.
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    Gosh I must be feeling generous
    Here is the Uberkernel thread and this is the F105 thread
    You should be able to find differences by reading the first post of each, and I also recommend skimming the whole threads.
    Also check the wiki's so you know where everything is.

    Pip
    In point of fact, you did exactly what I'm describing right here, which was actually the right thing to do as opposed to jhodnettejr's first response, at least in this instance. If you know the answer to a valid question, it takes just as much time to post a helpful directed response like yours as a spiteful useless one.
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by sq5 View Post
    Non-binding and non-enforceable...but if you say so...
    Did you look at the link I gave for reference, what does the first word in big letters say? And you will find that they are somewhat binding, as if you do not follow them then you won't get the help you need if a problem arises.



    ...which also means you can't assume they didn't make an effort to follow them before asking a question. And if they haven't? A friendly link to help them do so is ok, no?
    The title is in big obvious letters, you can't miss it. But people will choose to ignore it. A link to those instructions would suffice, but I feel it not neccessary. They have been ignored once, what is to say they won't be ignored again.




    *ALERT*: Contradicting the attitude over skill philosophy requires rectifying one's attitude, not necessarily one's posts.
    Way to misunderstood and give a twisted response. I was not on about my own attitude, I was saying to show me somewhere where I have suggested that a user needs skill over attitude.

    In point of fact, you did exactly what I'm describing right here, which was actually the right thing to do as opposed to jhodnettejr's first response, at least in this instance. If you know the answer to a valid question, it takes just as much time to post a helpful directed response like yours as a spiteful useless one.
    I still disagree. I went above what was expected, it was obvious that dov was now willing to read and get knowledgable. I also don't see where jhod's response is spiteful. And saying that it takes just as long is totally inaccurate.

    Pip
  6. #26  
    So what's the difference between UK and Warthog?
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
  7. thornev's Avatar
    Posts
    326 Posts
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    #27  
    This thread is a perfect example of what happens when you throw highly technical and not-so technical people in a room. a few highly technical people have little patience with the not-so technical because they don't want to share what they know and instead want the not-so technical to learn the hard way... the way they did. And all the not-so technical people are asking for is a little help to get them started on their way to the next level when reading hundreds of posts in multiple threads can take days. Let's loosen up a little. If you don't have the patience to help out the not-so technical, it would be better not to respond at all than to respond with a snide post which is not at all helpful. And let me add an apology for posting off-topic from the original question. thorne
    Last edited by thornev; 08/10/2010 at 07:38 PM.
  8. #28  
    How about this go to PM's? It doesn't seem to serve any constructive purpose.

    I will say this: Testing feed kernels are for experienced testers.
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by chowd View Post
    In my mind, the biggest difference between UberKernel and F105 is how each handles memory and the "too many cards" error.

    UberKernel uses compcache to try to delay getting the "too many cards" error, but it will still happen. F105 also makes use of compcache, but also completely disables memnotify so the "too many cards" error will never appear. However, once the phone runs out of memory, it will just lock up and will need to be rebooted.

    There are other differences, but this is a significant one, in my opinion.
    Note that the TMC corrections, and compcache, are two very separate things. It is the TMC corrections (different between PsychoKernels and UberKernel) which fix the TMC errors. Compcache just smooths out the speed differential a bit when you start to hit swap space as a result of no longer getting TMC errors.

    -- Rod
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post

    I was not on about my own attitude....

    I still disagree. I went above what was expected.
    Without having to even address them, your nit-picking arguments further prove my point. This IS all about attitude...YOUR attitude.

    Your tone towards me also gives a good indication how quickly you judge other users. The android and iphone communities will gladly absorb the refugees you cast away.


    Quote Originally Posted by thornev;

    ...technical people have little patience with the not-so technical because they don't want to share what they know and instead want the not-so technical to learn the hard way... the way they did. And all the not-so technical people are asking for is a little help to get them started on their way to the next level when reading hundreds of posts in multiple threads can take days.
    This comment defines the root of your issue. You've lost sight that we are all on the same side here. By clinging so desperately to your rules, your standards for yourself are low. Obviously, we all strongly encourage users to be fully informed and self-reliant, ESPECIALLY in alpha testing, but still without being elitist and militant about it. If it was over and above for you just to copy/paste a link or two, then save your charity next time. Someone else will gladly help if it's appropriate.

    P|C is a forum community (that includes alpha testing *gasp*), not just a wiki with a sacred set of rules.


    Quote Originally Posted by thornev;

    Let's loosen up a little.
    Indeed. Seriously. Even Rod Whitby himself was benevolent enough to take a moment and add some clarification to this thread.
    Last edited by sq5; 08/11/2010 at 09:28 AM.
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob600 View Post

    I will say this: Testing feed kernels are for experienced testers.
    Of course.
  12. #32  
    Here's a better example of handling inquiries. I'm glad to see a forum mod also has the right idea in mind:

    http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...st-kernel.html
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by sq5 View Post
    Without having to even address them, your nit-picking arguments further prove my point. This IS all about attitude...YOUR attitude.

    Your tone towards me also gives a good indication how quickly you judge other users. The android and iphone communities will gladly absorb the refugees you cast away.
    If you are going to reply to my post then please corretcly quote my post without construing it for your own benefit.
    If you find something wrong with my attitude then please inform me and show me where my attitude is wrong?
    I am not judging you and I find nothing wrong with my tone. My responses to you have been factual and to the point, I see no point in sugar coating them, is there something so wrong with that? I am clearly not belittling anyone in this instance.
    Would you also like to show me somebody I have casted away? You question my tone, yet take a sly dig at me and accuse me of hurting this community.




    This comment defines the root of your issue. You've lost sight that we are all on the same side here. By clinging so desperately to your rules, your standards for yourself are low. Obviously, we all strongly encourage users to be fully informed and self-reliant, ESPECIALLY in alpha testing, but still without being elitist and militant about it. If it was over and above for you just to copy/paste a link or two, then save your charity next time. Someone else will gladly help if it's appropriate.

    P|C is a forum community (that includes alpha testing *gasp*), not just a wiki with a sacred set of rules.




    Indeed. Seriously. Even Rod Whitby himself was benevolent enough to take a moment and add some clarification to this thread.
    I'd like to add that I am far from technical, I am the other side of the scale. All I know has come from this forum, by having a little patience and reading through the necessary info.
    It is nice to know that you think I am elitist and militant, but I fail to see where I have held any user higher than any other.
    I think you misinterpreted the intent of my post where I posted those links, I clearly was not suggesting that I was above it.
    I also don't believe there is a hard way to learn, I certainly didn't, I just spent some time on these forums and you learn pretty much all you need to know. It is just about patience and discipline (Yes that is a light hearted joke about the militist reference)

    I understand that it is a forum community and I participate in that community quite actively, and hope I don't have a negative effect on said community, yet I do make mistakes. All I ever ask is that people have a little patience before jumping into things. And if I do ever provide advice, I try to be accurate in that advice.

    Oh I try to be calm, but I don't like people, as I see, unfairly attacking me.


    Pip
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by sq5 View Post
    Here's a better example of handling inquiries. I'm glad to see a forum mod also has the right idea in mind:

    http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...st-kernel.html
    I will keep that link handy, but then the next time someone skips over the kernel threads and posts a new thread asking a similar question and I post a reply saying:

    Quote Originally Posted by pip
    Please see this thread for your answer. It will allow you a full and correct answer.

    Pip
    I believe then that in most cases I would receive a response close to

    Quote Originally Posted by anon
    Why link me somewhere, why dont you just post the answer.
    Now I think that speaks more about attitude

    Pip
  15. #35  
    Having issues... Since Thunderchief f105 isnt re installing on my pre i removed it and put uberkernel on. when it restarted the luna, the phone has been rebooting for 7 min now, i pulled the battery and tried turning on and it is starting . All i see is the white palm words but it has been like that for 10 min now
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerNamedfTony07 View Post
    Having issues... Since Thunderchief f105 isnt re installing on my pre i removed it and put uberkernel on. when it restarted the luna, the phone has been rebooting for 7 min now, i pulled the battery and tried turning on and it is starting . All i see is the white palm words but it has been like that for 10 min now

    Use the f105 thread if you feel it is a f105 problem, the link to the thread is on page one in one of my posts.
    You also should include a more detailed bug report in order to help the devs and your problem.

    Edit: Disregard this and see the thread you started.

    Pip
    Last edited by pip smith; 08/11/2010 at 10:37 AM.
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post

    ...construing it for your own benefit.
    mmm hmm...

    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post

    If you find something wrong with my attitude then please inform me and show me where my attitude is wrong?
    (Already discussed.)

    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post

    I am not judging you and I find nothing wrong with my tone. My responses to you have been factual and to the point, I see no point in sugar coating them, is there something so wrong with that? I am clearly not belittling anyone in this instance.
    Not in every situation, but I'll take you at your word on this.


    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post

    Would you also like to show me somebody I have casted away?
    I can see how my remark could be construed that way, but I didn't necessarily say you had yet, and I certainly hope that isn't the case.


    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post

    It is just about patience and discipline (Yes that is a light hearted joke about the militist reference)
    Good one, that's the spirit! Now I'm feeling some "community" again.


    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post

    I understand that it is a forum community and I participate in that community quite actively, and hope I don't have a negative effect on said community, yet I do make mistakes. All I ever ask is that people have a little patience before jumping into things. And if I do ever provide advice, I try to be accurate in that advice.

    Oh I try to be calm, but I don't like people, as I see, unfairly attacking me.
    Fair enough. I can appreciate what you mean and I think it sums things up nicely.
    Last edited by sq5; 08/11/2010 at 10:36 AM.
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    I will keep that link handy, but then the next time someone skips over the kernel threads and posts a new thread asking a similar question and I post a reply saying:



    I believe then that in most cases I would receive a response close to

    " Originally Posted by anon
    Why link me somewhere, why dont you just post the answer."


    Now I think that speaks more about attitude

    Pip
    Yeah thats another story altogether, hehe.
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by sq5 View Post
    Good one, that's the spirit! Now I'm feeling some "community" again.

    Fair enough. I can appreciate what you mean and I think it sums things up nicely.
    Glad we reached a natural conclusion

    I can go back to being my cold heartless self now

    Pip
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions