08/01/2010, 07:05 PM
This Thread is for feedback on F105 Thunderchief and SR71 Blackbird kernels This is not a "How-To thread", this is for serious testers only. Spamming the thread with irrelevance will most likely get you flamed by someone.
Both kernels are available. Check your local neighborhood testing feed.
When posting problems or bugs please specify kernel name and version.
Basic guidelines for install:
- You know how to doctor
- You have some kind of idea how to do a memboot (well, not really, but would be nice).
- You know something about Linux, not necessarily a guru.
- You can do basic debugging in case of crash or hang.
- You have a strong command of how to use a Pre.
Those with "weak" Pre's: DO NOT INSTALL! If you do, have the Doctor ready.
Features in common codebase:
- 1.2GHz (SR71) or 1.005GHz (F105)
- Temp monitoring and scaling
- Voltage selection
- Memory tweaks in kernel (no more TMC errors)
- Compcache disabled by default (unlike previous F10x kernels)
- Temp monitoring. Over 55C it scales down to 500MHz. This is now selectable via /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/override/
- Wall charging (1000mA) and Touchstone will scale to 500MHz, USB charging stays at max speed.
- LCD off: scale to policy->min, LCD on: scale to policy->max
- Voltage selection for each frequency. Via /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/override/
- Govnah is recommended for tweaking, esp voltage and temp settings.
New features added during lifecycle:
- Screenstate charger override
- Battery scaling
- Ondemand Tickle Governor
- Screenstate v2 w/ vdemand
- Screenstate v3 w/ ondemand & vdemand
Info on my kernels: Application:PsychoKernel - WebOS Internals
Recovery: How To Recover - WebOS Internals
How to memboot after finding out your Pre wears pink underwear:
Put your Pre into recovery mode.
/opt/Palm/novacom/novacom boot mem:// < uImage-2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430
or (for Pre2)
/opt/Palm/novacom/novacom boot mem:// < uImage-2.0.1-pre2
cd \program files\palm\sdk\bin
novacom boot mem:// < uImage-2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430
or (for Pre2)
novacom boot mem:// < uImage-2.0.1-pre2
Mac: (Contributed by sd_matto)
1. Install PalmSDK (and novacom drives therein). This will install the necessary novacom binary (under /opt/nova/bin) and add that to your program path.
2. Download the stock kernel (from links above)
3. Open Terminal window (under /Applications/Utilities)
4. Type "cd ~/Downloads" (or other path to your downloaded kernel)
5. Type "novacom boot mem:// < uImage-2.0.1-pre2"
If all else fails: Palm Support : 6Ts: Six ways to get your Palm webOS phone working again
You warranty will be voided!
This assumes you have a firm grip on reality. Overclocking can damage a phone. I take no responsibility for melted Pre's or screwed up installs. Overclocking works for me and countless others. If you aren't sure then DON'T DO IT! If it doesn't work for you and are looking for someone to blame send flames to /dev/null. You have been warned!