Page 73 of 74 FirstFirst ... 236368697071727374 LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,460 of 1472
Like Tree4Likes
    F100 works but reinstalling any other kernel fails - except for recovery which immediately brings about the end of my wifi.

Any ideas are welcome. In the meantime I will use F100. Some downsides to F100 - limited to 600mhz; no charger downscale to reduce heating; no support for compcache? (Or is this Govnah based); No Screenstate; No ScreenstateV2; No VDemand; etc. But on the plus side Wifi and CPU Temp is better than none of these and a stock kernel.

Sigh... I hope there is a way to recover without the doc - I really hate punting - I want to know what is broken and how it can be fixed...

Let me know if you have ideas or logs that I need to submit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    F100 works but reinstalling any other kernel fails - except for recovery which immediately brings about the end of my wifi.

Any ideas are welcome. In the meantime I will use F100. Some downsides to F100 - limited to 600mhz; no charger downscale to reduce heating; no support for compcache? (Or is this Govnah based); No Screenstate; No ScreenstateV2; No VDemand; etc. But on the plus side Wifi and CPU Temp is better than none of these and a stock kernel.

Sigh... I hope there is a way to recover without the doc - I really hate punting - I want to know what is broken and how it can be fixed...

Can you identify by URL exactly which packages from which feeds with which precise versions you are installing in which order to reproduce this problem?

Assume I haven't read any previous messages and give me the steps I can use to reproduce it on a device here.

Thanks,

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  3.    #1443  

oh my. F100 is older than dinosours. that was from before Preware packages.

If that works but installing the recovery kernel doesnt, than you have a hosed wifi driver. sd8xxx i think it was. you can copy that from the Doctor. I'm not sure why a Doctor wouldnt fix it tho. The recovery kernel wouldnt replace that I dont think, i could be wrong.
    Live free or DIE!

I have split the old 1.4.5 feeds into separate 1.4.5 and 1.4.5.1 feeds. Until we go and update all the testing kernels to build for 1.4.5.1 as well, they will be missing from the feed, but you can get them manually from the 1.4.5 feed.

Please try the recovery kernel from the specific 1.4.5.1 feed and let me know if that works.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    I have split the old 1.4.5 feeds into separate 1.4.5 and 1.4.5.1 feeds. Until we go and update all the testing kernels to build for 1.4.5.1 as well, they will be missing from the feed, but you can get them manually from the 1.4.5 feed.

Please try the recovery kernel from the specific 1.4.5.1 feed and let me know if that works.
    That worked! Thank you!

I first installed the recovery kernel for 1.4.5.1 and then when wifi did not vanish on reboot I installed UK and everything looks to be working normally.

BTW - Those were the only two kernels I saw so I assume the others in the testing feeds and stable feeds are not 1.4.5.1 specific.

Thanks for sticking with me through this. A doctor was not out of the question and I would have been doing that eventually.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Can you identify by URL exactly which packages from which feeds with which precise versions you are installing in which order to reproduce this problem?

Assume I haven't read any previous messages and give me the steps I can use to reproduce it on a device here.

Thanks,

-- Rod
    Rod - Thanks for figuring this out without this info. I hadn't had a chance to reply to this yet but I wanted to even though this is resolved.

The reality is that this phone it isn't a test phone and I'm not using test kernels or test packages and so I haven't been carefully monitoring the ebb and flow of packages on and off the phone and the order they were applied. I just tinker with patches and packages as I see fit to tailor the phone to fit my needs and that's that.

I wonder if this is an area where Preware might be able to have an option to track this sort of thing - perhaps in a file on the usb and backed up by Save/Restore? Another idea would be a cloud service like the profile but Preware specific - something like the saved package list but with order dependencies and more info. This would allow people to supply this information even if the configuration had taken months of small changes to arrive at specific configuration.

Just an idea - one that might help future diagnostics.

Thanks again for the help you and everyone at webOSInternals provide.
    So far the only Kernels I see that are 1.4.5.1 updated are Recovery and UberKernel. I'm not ungrateful for the fix - but I would like to know if the other stable kernels are expected to be updated to 1.4.5.1 or if UK and Recovery are the only choices for 1.4.5.1 for the forseeable future?
  8.    #1448  
    So far the only Kernels I see that are 1.4.5.1 updated are Recovery and UberKernel. I'm not ungrateful for the fix - but I would like to know if the other stable kernels are expected to be updated to 1.4.5.1 or if UK and Recovery are the only choices for 1.4.5.1 for the forseeable future?
    hmm. i might have forgotten to put out builds for 1.4.5.1. i'll work on that. There should be AV8B and F102 as well.
    Live free or DIE!
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpsycho View Post
    hmm. i might have forgotten to put out builds for 1.4.5.1. i'll work on that. There should be AV8B and F102 as well.
    I can confirm that they are showing up now. I also upgraded to Preware 1.8.3 before checking since my last post on the topic but i think you nailed it.
    Just curious, i saw the update to enable ondemand-ng and didn't understand the point.

How are the SSV2 gov and SSV3 with ondemand disabled different? Is it that SSV3 has "more aggressive voltage scaling" as the Govnah help says?

As always, thanks for the hard work!
  11.    #1451  
    Quote Originally Posted by NickVTPre View Post
    Just curious, i saw the update to enable ondemand-ng and didn't understand the point.

How are the SSV2 gov and SSV3 with ondemand disabled different? Is it that SSV3 has "more aggressive voltage scaling" as the Govnah help says?

As always, thanks for the hard work!
    ondemand-ng is a mod for ondemand governor, not screenstate v2 or v3. No voltage scaling at all.

SSv3 adds an ondemand type feature with voltage scaling while screen on/off, it does some more idle voltage scaling then SSv2. SSv2 does not dynamically scale freq.
    Live free or DIE!
    ondemand-ng is a mod for ondemand governor, not screenstate v2 or v3. No voltage scaling at all.

SSv3 adds an ondemand type feature with voltage scaling while screen on/off, it does some more idle voltage scaling then SSv2. SSv2 does not dynamically scale freq.
    Got it. thanks, Unix. For some reason i was thinking ondemand-ng was used by SSv3.
    Unless I'm missing something, I don't see any updated kernels on my Pre2 for 2.2.4. I was using F104 on it before I meta-doctored and it was great. Any chance we can get it updated? If so, thanks so much in advance.

Update: Just found a thread that said the 2.2.4 kernel has not been released. If so, that explains it and I'm sure when it is, we will see the kernels.
    Last edited by gapost; 12/25/2011 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Update
    Long life for SR71!!!
    I hope that it's release for webOS 2.2.4 come quickly!!!

Regards comrades!!!
    El Sendero del Samurai: Lealtad, Paz Interna, Paciencia y Meditar a los pies de Buda

Samsung Galaxy S4 + Root / HP TouchPad 4G + CM10 / iPod Touch 5 + Jailbreak 6.1.3
  15.    #1455  
    I have kernels ready, but some roadblocks in the new github repo preventing a complete build.

I may just use the old build system....
    Live free or DIE!
    Just found the F104 kernel ready to install on Pre2 running 2.2.4. Thanks! Looking forward to trying out SS ver. 3 w/ 1.2!

EDIT/UPDATE: I'll just add to this post since no new posts since. I've had several go-rounds with 2.2.4 on the Pre 2 and there were some heat/lag issues that I've seen noted in other upgrade threads. Some have commented that those issues seem to go away 'on their own' so I don't know if that is true in my case or not but at least the heat issues seem to be resolved.

What I've noticed with f104 is that Screenstate V3 seems to be the way to go. (All settings were with Noop/Westwood set) When trying to use the OnDemand state, I've gotten consistent screen flickers. The F104 Default state setting in Govanah is OnDemand and also set at 1.2ghz and didn't work well at all in my case. There's a great deal of lagging and occasional screen flickering. Changing to the Screenstate v3 1.2ghz setting resolved the screen flicker but the lag remained. However, the Screenstate v3 1.1 ghz setting had virtually no lag, no flicker. I couldn't find any combination of settings @ 1.2 ghz that didn't significantly increase the lag on my system. I never had any lockups, just stalls.

I should also note that I tried these settings with and without the "System Control Optimization" and "Disk Cache Mod" patches but I was not honestly able to discern much if any difference.

All of that said, @ the SS3 1.1 setting, things seem very smooth, very stable, very snappy.
    Last edited by kayphoonstar; 01/10/2012 at 06:06 PM. Reason: Update after use
    So on a different phone - a Pre + upgraded to 2.2.4 - the F105 is wonderfully stable, even running @ 1005, but I still seem to have an occasional overnight lockup while it's on the touchstone. I don't find that it locks up while using it so I'm suspecting that it perhaps gets too warm on the touchstone and created a scale back profile of SSv3 500/700 with the voltage dropped a couple of points on the system and the CPU @ 500mhz. I'll see if that keeps me from getting any overnight lockup. . .

SSv3 generally scales the CPU to 500mhz while charging, isn't that right?
  18.    #1458  
    Quote Originally Posted by kayphoonstar View Post
    So on a different phone - a Pre + upgraded to 2.2.4 - the F105 is wonderfully stable, even running @ 1005, but I still seem to have an occasional overnight lockup while it's on the touchstone. I don't find that it locks up while using it so I'm suspecting that it perhaps gets too warm on the touchstone and created a scale back profile of SSv3 500/700 with the voltage dropped a couple of points on the system and the CPU @ 500mhz. I'll see if that keeps me from getting any overnight lockup. . .

SSv3 generally scales the CPU to 500mhz while charging, isn't that right?
    with SSv3, the lockups usually happen with the voltage is set too low and the phone goes into suspend. typically only with the OMG setting. try raising your 500MHz voltage setting a bit.
    Live free or DIE!
    with SSv3, the lockups usually happen with the voltage is set too low and the phone goes into suspend. typically only with the OMG setting. try raising your 500MHz voltage setting a bit.
    Yup - didn't take long for a lockup w/voltage lowered. Trying the other direction. Thanks!
    Just noticed the "lagfree" governor in F105. Is this something new, or i just never noticed it? I'll post over in the Govnah thread, but there is no description of that governor in the Govnah help. What does it do exactly?