Page 6 of 74 FirstFirst 12345678910111656 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by evertec View Post
    Sweet, thanks for this idea... I kept thinking I was unstable at 1.2ghz because I had too little voltage but I must have had too much, because now I'm stable with only 74 (1.524V) at 1.2ghz!

I initially thought this solved the problem but I was wrong, it was only a temporary placebo. I noticed a trend, regardless of voltage, once I heavily use the phone I start to get Luna reboots and hard reboots when the phone starts getting between like 44 degrees celcius and 52 degress celcius. Very low 30's to low 40's do not seem to give me issues.

I can't seem to watch more than a few youtube videos at a time, im assuming its heating the processor to those high 40's and causing reboots.
    Last edited by PaulB007; 08/04/2010 at 08:55 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpsycho View Post
    That is bogus. Chips are solid-state, not vacuum tubes.

What would help tho is pulling the battery and starting fresh. Sometimes a simple "restart" doesnt reset all the components.
    This is exactly what i did when i installed F105. I fully charged pre. shut it down. Pulled battery.
    I powered up and installed the latest F105 on Sunday... it has honestly been very stable. I have not had a single random reboot / hang.

The only thing i encountered was not being able to set a profile...frequency was stuck showing at 500. This only happened to me one time in since sunday. I shutdown.... pulled the battery.. powerd up... has not replicated issue again.
    For voltages, how are valid voltage values determined? Is there a method for how used voltages calculated, or is this arbitrarily assigned by the user with best values determined via testing?
    With the new update I am able to get my 1.2ghz down to 69Voltage. What was the 1.2 Voltage in the -78 update
    My f105 pre currently seems to be running stable 1ghz at 60 and 500mhz at 30. I'll try to go lower after a few days of usage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightburn View Post
    My f105 pre currently seems to be running stable 1ghz at 60 and 500mhz at 30. I'll try to go lower after a few days of usage.
    I have mine running stable using 58 for 1 ghz and 30 for 500 mhz. I tried lower on the 1 ghz and got significant artifacting on the screen, and eventually it crashed and rebooted. Anything lower than 30 for 500 mhz is an instant reboot when the screen shuts off. I doubt there is much difference between using 58 and 60 though.
    back with more feedback. Started browsing the forums here with 98% battery and the same settings as my post on the previous page here.
    It has been roughly an hour and my battery is now at 68%

I am not digging that kind of battery life.

I don't exactly know where to begin in terms of voltage tweaking. For a light to medium user,what is a good middle ground?

I am also testing this along with warlord's animated background theme and animated patches, which also contribute to some extra battery life sacrifices.
    Pre|central Peacekeepers

"Keeping the smart phone world at peace one PALM at a time"

Me and Dropbox, sitting in a tree. S-Y-N-C-I-N-G. http://db.tt/qetBsiR
  8.    #108  
    Quote Originally Posted by evertec View Post
    Sweet, thanks for this idea... I kept thinking I was unstable at 1.2ghz because I had too little voltage but I must have had too much, because now I'm stable with only 74 (1.524V) at 1.2ghz!
    I tried to ramp up the voltage for the pink panty-waist Pre's but it seems nothing can help them... I might drop the voltage in next release so everyone doesnt have crappy battery life.
    Live free or DIE!
  9.    #109  
    Quote Originally Posted by ihooten View Post
    For voltages, how are valid voltage values determined? Is there a method for how used voltages calculated, or is this arbitrarily assigned by the user with best values determined via testing?
    Read back a few pages to see formula.
    Live free or DIE!
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    The missing pages is cause by the Palm preferences database not being saved properly.

Other than when you are forced to do a unclean battery pull, there is nothing about kernels that touches this area.

And if you can reproduce it on the stock kernel, then it definitely isn't kernel related.

What version of what tool are you using to install these kernels?

-- Rod
    Is the only way to correct this problem to Dr. the phone?
  11.    #111  
    Quote Originally Posted by 4wheels View Post
    unixpsycho, what voltage settings did you use with F105 prior to -76 (when you bumped the V). I had no problems at the lower V and would like to try that again on your newer kernel.

I believe the new values you show are stock Palm for the 3 lowest OPP's, correct?
    I believe it was 66. The 3 lowest are stock but the last 2 arent used.
    Live free or DIE!
    Quote Originally Posted by RoLLEmUp View Post
    back with more feedback. Started browsing the forums here with 98% battery and the same settings as my post on the previous page here.
    It has been roughly an hour and my battery is now at 68%

I am not digging that kind of battery life.

I don't exactly know where to begin in terms of voltage tweaking. For a light to medium user,what is a good middle ground?

I am also testing this along with warlord's animated background theme and animated patches, which also contribute to some extra battery life sacrifices.
    If you have animated backgrounds & automation scripts that run in the background, those really hurt battery life as the processor doesn't go to sleep nearly as often. With one of unix's early F105 kernels where he was on lower voltages and I didn't have many items in the background I was able to get around 1% drain per hour in standby mode, and 4-5% with minimal to normal usage.

Also, if you look at the voltage settings, anything 800 and over uses a good bit higher voltage to try & keep things stable, and that will drain the battery if applications are kept running. I use Govnah to set profiles to cap the max speed on F105 and have 2 slow settings that cap to 500 and 700, when I'm more concerned with bat life. Then I use the faster 1G setting when I'm not worried.
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpsycho View Post
    I believe it was 66. The 3 lowest are stock but the last 2 arent used.
    Thanks, got it on the lowest 3...

Yesterday I started gradually lowering all the Vsel for the OPP's that are used, increments of -2, and am currently running at -6 from your standard F105-92 settings. Sounds like that gets me almost back to where you were at with -74 at 1G, since I'm at 68 now.

I'll try lower and report back later, no problems so far.
    Last edited by 4wheels; 08/04/2010 at 04:14 PM.
    I know this is semi-random, but is there anyway to set custom titles on our forum logins. When I read the parent post about sending flames to /dev/null, I thought that having /dev/null would be amusing. (ive used quite a few *nix flavors so I know what it is lol)
    Monday night I finally loaded Thunderchief. Everything is much smoother and faster. Thank you Marco for all your amazing work!

I did notice that when I originally installed 105-88 I had decent battery drain but when it updated to 105-91 the battery started draining a lot faster. I have a seido double capacity battery and it normally lasts me from 8 am - 10 pm no problem but today was off the charger at 9:30 am but only lasted until 7 pm.

Temps are usually in high 30s. Running videos or multi tasking goes into very low 40s sometimes but sometimes cooler. I see that it runs hotter when plugged into the charger (I do not use touchstone).

Not clear on all this voltage talk. Each time I think I have things figured out some new terms/concepts come along, which is great and has been a great learning experience for me. But if there is someone willing to post here or message me and explain why and how voltage makes a difference, how you can change voltage, and what each of those numbers in those strings of numbers you all post mean I would be grateful. Others may appreciate posts here too but if it is off topic maybe someone can reply to me privately.

Again, Marco, thanks! F105 is amazing. What a difference it makes to not have lag!
    I'm running SR-71. Today I tried tweaking the voltage and found a way to get stable voltages for my phone. The first number is the 1.2GHz voltage. I opened a few apps including Pandora and a 3D game and played for a little bit to make sure I didn't get a reboot. Every 10 minutes of game play I would check the temperature and drop the voltage by 2. I repeated this until I reached 70 and my phone froze when I switched back to the game. I pulled the battery and restarted the phone. After the phone booted I set the voltage back 2 to 72. (you can try going up just one but I'm OCD about even numbers.

After that was settled, I went after the 500MHz. I set the max and min frequency to 500MHz. Since the phone is only going to be in this frequency when the screen is off I used Mobile Hotspot (streaming youtube videos) and Pandora to do the testing. Same procedure as before, but you are going to be using the fifth number. Down till it froze, reboot, and go back up by two. Changed the max frequency back then saved the Profile.

I was able to get it down to 72 for 1.2GHz and 28 for 500MHz. I am very pleased with the battery life, temperature, and performance. I haven't had a reboot since changing my settings. Good work.
    Testing settings at 900mhz-500mhz
    70 66 62 50 44 32 26

unixpsycho- I believe it was 66. The 3 lowest are stock but the last 2 arent used.
    So in essence me changing the last two original settings in the VDD1 VSEL from 36 and 30 to 32 and 26 will not change or do anything?
    Pre|central Peacekeepers

"Keeping the smart phone world at peace one PALM at a time"

Me and Dropbox, sitting in a tree. S-Y-N-C-I-N-G. http://db.tt/qetBsiR
  18.    #118  
    Quote Originally Posted by RoLLEmUp View Post
    Testing settings at 900mhz-500mhz
    70 66 62 50 44 32 26

So in essence me changing the last two original settings in the VDD1 VSEL from 36 and 30 to 32 and 26 will not change or do anything?
    The last 2 wont do anything.

I will fix that soon.
    Live free or DIE!
    I appologize for the newbishness, but is the very first number in the override parameters the voltage? I'm guessing that it is..
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulB007 View Post
    I appologize for the newbishness, but is the very first number in the override parameters the voltage? I'm guessing that it is..
    It's a list of integers, each of which represent a voltage, each of which corresponds to a frequency. It's currently seven items, but is likely to reduce to 5 for SR71, cause Marco removes the 125 and 250 MHz values from user accessibility.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals