Page 44 of 74 FirstFirst ... 34394041424344454647484954 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
    I've been running F105 and screenstate-v2 since you first released it. The F105-162 build has been rock solid for me. It looks like I've taken a different approach for configuring my voltages than most people. It seems most people want to run the High or OMG for vdemand factor. IMHO, that probably means they have the cpu voltage set higher than needed. The approach I took was to take my lowest stable cpu voltage settings and slowly turn up the vdemand factor to maximize battery life. Needless to say currently my vdemand factor is set to low. Here's the settings I've been running. I haven't had a crash or any freezing with these settings. Also, I got a new refurb replacement Pre+ last weekend and these settings worked great on my old Pre+ and new one.

ssv2
    500-1.005Ghz
    vdemand factor = low
    vdemand enable = true
    charger override = true
    charger poll rate = 1000
    vdemand poll rate = 200
    cpu voltage = 1000 (32), 1125 (42), 1175 (46), 1250 (52), 1350 (60)
    sys voltage = 1100
    Quote Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
    I've been running F105 and screenstate-v2 since you first released it. The F105-162 build has been rock solid for me. It looks like I've taken a different approach for configuring my voltages than most people. It seems most people want to run the High or OMG for vdemand factor. IMHO, that probably means they have the cpu voltage set higher than needed. The approach I took was to take my lowest stable cpu voltage settings and slowly turn up the vdemand factor to maximize battery life. Needless to say currently my vdemand factor is set to low. Here's the settings I've been running. I haven't had a crash or any freezing with these settings. Also, I got a new refurb replacement Pre+ last weekend and these settings worked great on my old Pre+ and new one.

ssv2
    500-1.005Ghz
    vdemand factor = low
    vdemand enable = true
    charger override = true
    charger poll rate = 1000
    vdemand poll rate = 200
    sys voltage = 1100
    Interesting approach, I may have to give that a go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazirker View Post
    Interesting approach, I may have to give that a go.
    FWIW,

What I've experienced is there's very little tolerance for voltage scaling at the lowest stable voltages no matter the load. Especially at higher clock speeds. I can turn the voltage up and run a higher vdemand factor but all that will do is increase battery usage without any benefits.

So if anyone is running OMG or High for a vdemand factor you might try lowering your voltages and playing with the vdemand factor. The trick is finding the sweet spot between the voltage and vdemand factor for your device's tolerance. My Pre+: lowest stable voltage + low vdemand = best battery life.
    Last edited by peterlemonjello; 01/27/2011 at 12:34 PM.
    can anyone tell me how sr71 feels on the pre 2?
    What I've experienced is there's very little tolerance for voltage scaling at the lowest stable voltages no matter the load.
    Uhhh...

Read this and then ask yourself why that could be.

http://forums.precentral.net/2822145-post774.html

M.
    sys voltage = 1100
    Where exactly do you get these figures?

Under cpu voltage I have 1000.5ghz then 900, 800, 700, and finally 500mhz with selectable voltages for each. System voltage says 200mhz with selectable volages. How do these correspond to the numbers you posted?

Is this the correct place to discuss settings and what works best/observations (individual basis) on the F105 Kernel, or is it only for error/bug repotring?
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    Uhhh...

Read this and then ask yourself why that could be.

http://forums.precentral.net/2822145-post774.html

M.
    Yep, I already read that post and took the formula into account while testing the new screenstate governor. It's a formula everyone should be familiar with. Race to idle is another huge variable. Race to idle doesn't affect me as much as some people because I use Gtalk and Yahoo IM a bunch. From what I can tell the IM app prevents the device from going to sleep.
    Quote Originally Posted by OLD_HATCH View Post
    Where exactly do you get these figures?

Under cpu voltage I have 1000.5ghz then 900, 800, 700, and finally 500mhz with selectable voltages for each. System voltage says 200mhz with selectable volages. How do these correspond to the numbers you posted?

Is this the correct place to discuss settings and what works best/observations (individual basis) on the F105 Kernel, or is it only for error/bug repotring?
    I believe you are referring to the cpu frequency not the cpu voltage in the override parameters section in Govnah.
    ah yes. I needed to turn on manual entry in Govnah to see the VDD1 and VDD2 values that you posted.

where can I learn what the difference is and how it compares to say the non editable mv lists for cpu frequency.
    Global Posts
    190 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpsycho View Post
    SR71 seems more stable than F14, so I consider it beta.

I have updated the OP with the Pre2 webOS 2.0.1 stock kernel to do a memboot in case of bootloop.

If you can do a memboot then give it a try.
    Thanks for this post; very helpful.

For those who have macintosh computers, the instructions for how to memboot new kernel are as follows:

1. Install PalmSDK (and novacom drives therein). This will install the necessary novacom binary (under /opt/nova/bin) and add that to your program path.
    2. Download the stock kernel (from links above)
    3. Open Terminal window (under /Applications/Utilities)
    4. Type "cd ~/Downloads" (or other path to your downloaded kernel)
    5. Type "novacom boot mem:// < uImage-2.0.1-pre2" (that is for Pre2 kernel; change kernel name to right uImage per instructions above)
    6. Wait for phone to reboot.

Unixpsycho - Feel free to take this info and update your instructions on your first post.

Please thank me if the instructions were helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by OLD_HATCH View Post
    ah yes. I needed to turn on manual entry in Govnah to see the VDD1 and VDD2 values that you posted.

where can I learn what the difference is and how it compares to say the non editable mv lists for cpu frequency.
    I'm not sure how they compare to the non editable mv lists. The vdd1 is basically cpu voltage and the vdd2 is system voltage (memory to be specific I think). If you search this thread you should be able to find a better more detailed explanation.
  12.    #872  
    Quote Originally Posted by sd_matto View Post
    Thanks for this post; very helpful.

For those who have macintosh computers, the instructions for how to memboot new kernel are as follows:

1. Install PalmSDK (and novacom drives therein). This will install the necessary novacom binary (under /opt/nova/bin) and add that to your program path.
    2. Download the stock kernel (from links above)
    3. Open Terminal window (under /Applications/Utilities)
    4. Type "cd ~/Downloads" (or other path to your downloaded kernel)
    5. Type "novacom boot mem:// < uImage-2.0.1-pre2" (that is for Pre2 kernel; change kernel name to right uImage per instructions above)
    6. Wait for phone to reboot.

Unixpsycho - Feel free to take this info and update your instructions on your first post.

Please thank me if the instructions were helpful.
    Thanx, updated OP.
    Live free or DIE!
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpsycho View Post
    Um...

Speechless. There's just so much that can be said.

That was very helpful.
    Lol, sorry I probably should have been more specific
    installed on my pre2 and bricked my phone, phone restarted and came up as a blank screen, wouldnt turn off or restart so had to battery pull, and now it just stays on as the palm screen.

Any way to force my pre2 into usb mode so I can access the usb drive? thought the volume up and power button would do that..but it didnt :/
    Quote Originally Posted by kel101 View Post
    installed on my pre2 and bricked my phone, phone restarted and came up as a blank screen, wouldnt turn off or restart so had to battery pull, and now it just stays on as the palm screen.

Any way to force my pre2 into usb mode so I can access the usb drive? thought the volume up and power button would do that..but it didnt :/
    Folks, the testing feed rules specifically state that you must be prepared to have your phone wiped at any time without warning.

If you are not prepared for that then you should disable and remove the testing feeds now.

After a problem happens is not the right time to research your recovery options (which are all spelled out in the recovery Wiki page).

The testing feed rules also state a clear obligation to fully read the alpha testing thread, including the first post which also outlines recovery options.

Basically, if you ask how to recover in an alpha testing thread, you have violated the testing feed rules and should not continue as an alpha tester.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Folks, the testing feed rules specifically state that you must be prepared to have your phone wiped at any time without warning.

If you are not prepared for that then you should disable and remove the testing feeds now.

After a problem happens is not the right time to research your recovery options (which are all spelled out in the recovery Wiki page).

The testing feed rules also state a clear obligation to fully read the alpha testing thread, including the first post which also outlines recovery options.

Basically, if you ask how to recover in an alpha testing thread, you have violated the testing feed rules and should not continue as an alpha tester.

-- Rod
    I asked if the phones usb drive could be accessed, or if there was a way to force the phone into usb mode (since before doctoring theres a big usb sign on the phone) I was just asking the question in case there was that possibility as it would make the process easier.

Though it may surprise you I do have the mental capacity to read what is on the first post, and about the risks of using these kernels. Sheesh

oh and for what its worth no data got lost after I doctored the phone.
    I asked if the phones usb drive could be accessed, or if there was a way to force the phone into usb mode (since before doctoring theres a big usb sign on the phone).
    The big USB sign is not USB mode, it's recovery mode. And the steps for forcing the phone into recovery mode are also on the recovery wiki page.

The real USB mode requires the phone to have a running kernel (a real kernel and normal filesystem, not a recovery kernel initramfs) - there is no way to access the real USB mode without a working kernel installed. Hence the testing feed rules that are intended to ensure you have already taken a backup of your USB contents before testing a new kernel.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    The big USB sign is not USB mode, it's recovery mode. And the steps for forcing the phone into recovery mode are also on the recovery wiki page.

The real USB mode requires the phone to have a running kernel (a real kernel and normal filesystem, not a recovery kernel initramfs) - there is no way to access the real USB mode without a working kernel installed. Hence the testing feed rules that are intended to ensure you have already taken a backup of your USB contents before testing a new kernel.

-- Rod
    back up was done already, I just wasnt sure on that one thing.

ssv2
    500-1.005Ghz
    vdemand factor = low
    vdemand enable = true
    charger override = true
    charger poll rate = 1000
    vdemand poll rate = 200
    sys voltage = 1100

I've tried both methods (high factoring w/slightly higher voltages, and lowest possible voltages with lower factoring). I agree with your logic, although I haven't done the nitty gritty testing to see if I obtained any improvements to bat life. I think the nice part with the v2 governor is we can have a slight buffer of "voltage margin" at max load without suffering the penalty of running the highest voltage at all times.

I did find a weird side effect in Pandora if the voltage was slightly too low... there would be weird audio artifacts (i.e. pops, clicks, digital distortion) that went away soon as I either lowered the factor or raised the max voltage.
  20.    #880  

You should disable the testing feed and read the OP in order to boot the phone.

You can't brick a Pre or a Pre2.
    Live free or DIE!