Page 43 of 74 FirstFirst ... 33383940414243444546474853 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1.    #841  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    I suspect the voltage was too low for 500. That happened to me last night. It's been so long since I used anything other than a straight 1GHz, I had no idea what the safe range was and made it too low and it fell dead after your clock down grace period.

I could be wrong, though.

M.
    After a while the phone will go into deep sleep so if the voltage is too low it may do that. I tried to program around that deep sleep problem and in my tests it never dropped dead overnight. Unfortunately there really is no static range since every Pre is not made equally. All I can recommend is not setting it too low.

Also you can try lowering the polling factor from 200 to 100. So any quick jumps in CPU load will increase voltage quicker.
    Live free or DIE!
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpsycho View Post
    After a while the phone will go into deep sleep so if the voltage is too low it may do that. I tried to program around that deep sleep problem and in my tests it never dropped dead overnight. Unfortunately there really is no static range since every Pre is not made equally. All I can recommend is not setting it too low.

Also you can try lowering the polling factor from 200 to 100. So any quick jumps in CPU load will increase voltage quicker.
    And I think you did a fantastic job with predicting the unpredictable. I just had it too low. I deleted my profile I had, let your defualts load and put it on OMG. Your defaults are kinda high for my phone (but that's *not* saying they should be lowered!), so I felt OMG with your defaults is OK. So far, it's been rock solid and battery life has been pretty good. I'll give it another day or so and drop the voltages a couple notches, but set the wobble factor a bit kinder.

M.
    i have been testing F105 kernel (161) since its release. with these settings: Vdemand factor 4(OMG), screenstate 1000/500, 1000 @ 1400mv, 500 @ 1100, System Voltage @ 1075, poll rate 100.

Works great!! i just noticed two things, sometimes i feel there is a rapid battery drain even when its in sleep (i even confirmed this using battery monitor and Govnah) however this is rare and its resolved after restart..

the other thing, when i am playing Angry Birds, sometimes loading a new mission takes some seconds (not frequent, but time to time and it feels thats its halting or something..) compacache is disabled btw. in general i think F105 is just great my fav kernel till now.. i just wish to understand the function of system voltage little more.. and why its set to 200mhz in this particular kernel.
    Psycho,

I'm over here now for the time being.

I had a RSOD last night. This is a true kernel oops, though, which is why I'm making a point to report it. It doesn't *seem* to be a too low voltage thing because I had been running the same thing for a few days now with zero issue, and it's really not much different than your stock settings. I'm attaching the klog (cleaned only of iptables chatter). The activity was fairly light, and nothing I don't do a few times a day; playing a (large) mp3 file and refreshing Preware. I think I had a browser open too. Nothing heavy by any means. The meat of the klog is at the end, of course, where there's a true kernel oops.

klog-1_cleaned.txt

Sprint Pre Minus (newer, silver button)

Quote Originally Posted by org.webosinternals.govnah-settings
    screenstate-v2 > scaling_governor
    500000 > scaling_min_freq
    1005000 > scaling_max_freq
    4 > vdemand_factor
    1 > vdemand_enable
    1 > charger_override
    1000 > charger_poll_rate
    200 > vdemand_poll_rate
    67 65 63 61 45 > vdd1_vsel
    46 > vdd2_vsel
    55 > cpu_hightemp_alarm
    50 > cpu_hightemp_reset
    25 > override/battery_scaleback_percent
    500000 > battery_scaleback_speed

M.
  5.    #845  
    Psycho,

I'm over here now for the time being.

I had a RSOD last night. This is a true kernel oops, though, which is why I'm making a point to report it. It doesn't *seem* to be a too low voltage thing because I had been running the same thing for a few days now with zero issue, and it's really not much different than your stock settings. I'm attaching the klog (cleaned only of iptables chatter). The activity was fairly light, and nothing I don't do a few times a day; playing a (large) mp3 file and refreshing Preware. I think I had a browser open too. Nothing heavy by any means. The meat of the klog is at the end, of course, where there's a true kernel oops.

klog-1_cleaned.txt

Sprint Pre Minus (newer, silver button)

M.
    You're running in OMG? mode and you have a crash?

From the crash dump it was doing a data transfer to the touchscreen. It crashed after the polling for voltage happened but didnt seem to change voltage. Cant tell what the load was at time of crash.

Try setting the vdemand polling to 100 and see how that does.

You settings are slightly lower than default. Depending on if it crashed with the screen on of off, increase that voltage slot up one tick... or poll faster.
    Live free or DIE!
    You're running in OMG? mode and you have a crash?
    I know, I know. My Pre runs solid down to 59 at 1GHz, so I didn't think it'd be an issue since your "formula" ( http://forums.precentral.net/2822145-post774.html ) says I should be OK with my V at 67. (Unless I'm reading it wrong, of course... )

Cant tell what the load was at time of crash.
    It was probably kinda high since it dumped a second or so just after Preware pulled in all the feed .gz and started the "extracting them and parsing them" (or just parsing - I don't know at what point it actually decompresses them) stage.

Try setting the vdemand polling to 100 and see how that does.

You settings are slightly lower than default. Depending on if it crashed with the screen on of off, increase that voltage slot up one tick... or poll faster.
    The screen was on.

I'll run it at the faster poll speed and see what happens. It was only one dump in three or so days of solid uptime with the above settings, so it may be a while till it happens again, if ever!

Thank you very much!

M.
  7.    #847  
    I know, I know. My Pre runs solid down to 59 at 1GHz, so I didn't think it'd be an issue since your "formula" ( http://forums.precentral.net/2822145-post774.html ) says I should be OK with my V at 67. (Unless I'm reading it wrong, of course... )
    There are 3 load sectors. for the low value it uses vsel=vsel-(2*sfactor), vsel=(vsel-sfactor), high load uses default vsel. OMG? uses sfactor=4.
    Live free or DIE!
    There are 3 load sectors. for the low value it uses vsel=vsel-(2*sfactor), vsel=(vsel-sfactor), high load uses default vsel. OMG? uses sfactor=4.
    OK, so I was reading it right (for the most part).

So (at most) 67-(2*4)=59 when load is <30% (and >30% load doesn't use the multiplier). It's on the cusp, I agree. I'll run it at 100ms poll still and bump it up the one rung if it RSOD's again.

Again, thank you!

M.
    I'll run it at 100ms poll still and bump it up the one rung if it RSOD's again.

I just thougt I'd quick check in. I decided to put the poll back at 200ms and drop the wobble down to High (from OMG!). It's been soild and battery has been pretty good. I've been running it a little hard the past few days and this crappy Seidio (why the hell does PreCentral still sell these things?!?) still has needed half a tank of electrons in the afternoon so I can make it through a full evening.

The GF's Pre is still running Harrier and she told me on her lunch break (at noon) that it was on 90% - she unplugs it around 5am. So that's pretty darn good.

Anyway, it's been quiet so I just wanted to say your kernels are out there running strong and your efforts are not being taken for granted.

M.
    Last edited by Xanadu73; 01/25/2011 at 09:54 PM.
  10.    #850  
    I just thougt I'd quick check in. I decided to put the poll back at 200ms and drop the wobble down to High (from OMG!). It's been sold and battery has been pretty good. I've been running it a littke hard the past few days ad this crappy Seidio (why the hell does PreCentral still sell these things?!?) still has needed half a tank of electrons in the afternoon so I can make it through a full evening.

The GF's Pre is still running Harrier and she told me on her lunch break (at noon) that it was on 90% - she unplugs it around 5am. So that's pretty darn good.

Anyway, it's been quiet so I just wanted to say your kernels are out there running strong and your efforts are not being taken for granted.

M.
    Thanx

rwhitby is salivating to add this stuff into UberKernel.
    Live free or DIE!
    I've had SR71 on for about 30 minutes and has been plugged into my pc the entire time and about 10% battery has drained, I think I will stick with Uberkernel
  12.    #852  
    Quote Originally Posted by manordwall View Post
    I've had SR71 on for about 30 minutes and has been plugged into my pc the entire time and about 10% battery has drained, I think I will stick with Uberkernel
    Um...

Speechless. There's just so much that can be said.

That was very helpful.
    Live free or DIE!
    Haven't had time to post in a while, but I've been running F105-162 since it was released. Performance of F105 feels really snappy for me. The 200MHz VDD2 seems to help my system feel snappier overall. Tried dropping voltages & raising the vdemand factor slowly to improve battery life, as battery life doesn't seem to be improved much from it. Went all the way to OMG with good results for the most part, but the phone shut off when asleep on 2 occasions so I returned the factor to HIGH. I have voltages set to: 1412, 1337, 1262, 1187, 1050 VDD1, & 1125 VDD2, polling 200. It's rock stable with these settings and I'm going to drop them 1-2 more steps tomorrow.

BTW Unix, so far for my phone & usage, the current Warthog seems to have the best battery life of all the kernels. I tried running it at 250/1050 screenstate & that seems to give my phone best bat life, but it's slower to wake & doesn't feel as snappy to user input. Seems like it puts it in more of a coma, but something J did helps bat life.
  14.    #854  
    Quote Originally Posted by 4wheels View Post
    Haven't had time to post in a while, but I've been running F105-162 since it was released. Performance of F105 feels really snappy for me. The 200MHz VDD2 seems to help my system feel snappier overall. Tried dropping voltages & raising the vdemand factor slowly to improve battery life, as battery life doesn't seem to be improved much from it. Went all the way to OMG with good results for the most part, but the phone shut off when asleep on 2 occasions so I returned the factor to HIGH. I have voltages set to: 1412, 1337, 1262, 1187, 1050 VDD1, & 1125 VDD2, polling 200. It's rock stable with these settings and I'm going to drop them 1-2 more steps tomorrow.

BTW Unix, so far for my phone & usage, the current Warthog seems to have the best battery life of all the kernels. I tried running it at 250/1050 screenstate & that seems to give my phone best bat life, but it's slower to wake & doesn't feel as snappy to user input. Seems like it puts it in more of a coma, but something J did helps bat life.
    Like I tell everyone, use the kernel that makes you happy.

Just the fact you are scaling to 250MHz might have something to do with it. I'm not supporting low end freqs due to users complaining about hanging even tho they know not to complain about it. And of course more voltage for the overclocked VDD2.

warthog uses SmartReflex i think, i chose not to use it since it's unstable. That's a flame war I dont want to get into again. SR is stable on the Pre2.

Without an exact test - performed exactly at the same time - each time, then I render any mention of good vs. bad a placebo. I sit and watch flame wars about battery life with such and such kernel and custom ROM... 2 users have the same exact custom ROM, same exact kernel; user1 says battery life sux *** with moderate usage, user2 says he gets 3 days of moderate usage on single charge. who's wrong? who's lying? answer: no one. too many factors involved.
    Live free or DIE!
    I think this would be great to add into Uberkernel, I'm getting substantial battery life improvements with screenstate-v2 running on OMG mode without any decrease in stability. I've been testing this on a range of clock speeds with no problems. My Pre is certainly not girly Pre but it also ain't no Jack Bauer either, so I imagine the F105 default params ought to be fine for general public/Uberkernel purposes.
    UNIX:
    Just wanted to chime in as well. Have tried each kernel (well...trying SR71 is not accurate as it would not boot! LOL) and have been satisfied with 'default' parameters each time without any lingering issues or problems. With the current F105-162 and screenstate-v2, I have had a few (less than 5) instances where my Sprint Pre (-) would not wake. I have had a similar experience with the Harrier kernel too. I don't consider this a problem for me; I do not mind the reboot et al. especially when weighed against the more numerous advantages for me.

While others may be able to lower their voltages for possible increased battery life; I also believe that the majority of Pre phones out there could run the default parameters.

As always, thanks for the work!

- Thomas
    This space for rent or lease. Inquire within.
    Relax Unix, I'm not complaining about F105, just offering another data point. I thought you guys wanted to hear feedback from Alpha Testers? It's a great kernel and I like it a lot.

Interesting to hear that Warthog might use SR. I didn't know that, but it could explain some things. The performance & feel of F105 is great so I'm happily using it. I just wanted to let you know the settings that are working for me. My PrePlus seems to work fine at fairly low voltages & speeds, so I'm lowering them to see if I can improve bat life a bit. I'm not saying bat life is bad with F105, so maybe you misunderstood me. It was just a bit better once I optimized Warthog. When I'm checking the bat life I log bat stats when I remove it from Touchstone in the morning, then what it is when I return home. Avg the drain per hour, throw out the high & low, then average over a week or two. Doing this I found there was a small difference per hour, but it adds up over a 12 hour day if not charged in between. This can be good & bad, as Warthog seemed to render my gps unresponsive or slow more often, after being asleep for long periods. F105 doesn't do this & gps remains responsive.
  18.    #858  
    Quote Originally Posted by 4wheels View Post
    Relax Unix, I'm not complaining about F105, just offering another data point. I thought you guys wanted to hear feedback from Alpha Testers? It's a great kernel and I like it a lot.

Interesting to hear that Warthog might use SR. I didn't know that, but it could explain some things. The performance & feel of F105 is great so I'm happily using it. I just wanted to let you know the settings that are working for me. My PrePlus seems to work fine at fairly low voltages & speeds, so I'm lowering them to see if I can improve bat life a bit. I'm not saying bat life is bad with F105, so maybe you misunderstood me. It was just a bit better once I optimized Warthog. When I'm checking the bat life I log bat stats when I remove it from Touchstone in the morning, then what it is when I return home. Avg the drain per hour, throw out the high & low, then average over a week or two. Doing this I found there was a small difference per hour, but it adds up over a 12 hour day if not charged in between. This can be good & bad, as Warthog seemed to render my gps unresponsive or slow more often, after being asleep for long periods. F105 doesn't do this & gps remains responsive.
    You misunderstood my tone.

I'm just saying I can't possibly respond to every statement of why someone's battery life is better than someone else's. And when I do respond it turns into a flame war.

Each kernel is better at some workloads than others.
    Live free or DIE!
    just got your tweet about sr71 on the pre 2. Is that for alpha testers or beta? Is it pretty stable? Look forward to trying it out!
    thanks for your hard work
  20.    #860  
    Quote Originally Posted by stu5797 View Post
    just got your tweet about sr71 on the pre 2. Is that for alpha testers or beta? Is it pretty stable? Look forward to trying it out!
    thanks for your hard work
    SR71 seems more stable than F14, so I consider it beta.

I have updated the OP with the Pre2 webOS 2.0.1 stock kernel to do a memboot in case of bootloop.

If you can do a memboot then give it a try.
    Live free or DIE!