Page 37 of 74 FirstFirst ... 27323334353637383940414247 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    I do have to agree with others that the interface Feels Snappier. I don't think anything is actually "faster", meaning, apps still take roughly the same amount of time to actually load and stuff. I mean, a gig is a gig, but cards seem to pop up faster, Preware seems to chug though the feed lists faster and that kind of thing. Maybe it's just the that when the device yells "Feed me, Seymour!", this kernel actually does give it food with your vDemand Governor.
    I also noticed that it's a bit snappier loading up from the screen being off - which would make a lot of sense, seeing as there's no screenstate code to execute. I was having some stability issues a few days ago (odd behavior in apps and stuff) but was never able to reproduce them, so it may have just been my pre throwing a tantrum from all of the stress of running SR71 for a couple months.

Unix: Have you played with overclocking the ram with a similar voltage scaler? Might not give the same battery benefits, but could minimize battery tradeoff for the performance benefits. Also - I saw your tweet about the Pre 2 being capable of 1.6GHz. That's amazing. Do you think that this kind of voltage scaling would interfere with the automatic frequency scaling in the Pre 2, or would it just give little gain?

Incredibly excited to see this in a packaged format.
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A.Stice View Post
    I also noticed that it's a bit snappier loading up from the screen being off - which would make a lot of sense, seeing as there's no screenstate code to execute. I was having some stability issues a few days ago (odd behavior in apps and stuff) but was never able to reproduce them, so it may have just been my pre throwing a tantrum from all of the stress of running SR71 for a couple months.

Unix: Have you played with overclocking the ram with a similar voltage scaler? Might not give the same battery benefits, but could minimize battery tradeoff for the performance benefits. Also - I saw your tweet about the Pre 2 being capable of 1.6GHz. That's amazing. Do you think that this kind of voltage scaling would interfere with the automatic frequency scaling in the Pre 2, or would it just give little gain?

This is for anyone who has used both SR71 and the new AV8B kernels. How would you compare the two? I know kernels behave differently on different phones but I am just curious to know how those who have used both feel about them. I currently have SR71 and originally i thought "Why would I go back to 1gig when I have 1.2 working pretty stable" BUT now im going to try it out! Mostly because Battery life is important and people have said its the snappiest one they have used (however I dont know if they have used SR71). But now I am kind of excited haha.

Anyone face the TMC with this kernel?

Will report back when something significant happens! Meanwhile I would like to know what other people have felt making this switch. Thanks!
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts

This is for anyone who has used both SR71 and the new AV8B kernels. How would you compare the two? I know kernels behave differently on different phones but I am just curious to know how those who have used both feel about them. I currently have SR71 and originally i thought "Why would I go back to 1gig when I have 1.2 working pretty stable" BUT now im going to try it out! Mostly because Battery life is important and people have said its the snappiest one they have used. So now I am kind of excited haha.

Will report back when something significant happens! Meanwhile I would like to know what other people have felt making this switch. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaikh View Post
    Marco usually completely expurgates the TMC functionality from his experimental kernels, so I doubt that anyone will see a TMC error.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Marco usually completely expurgates the TMC functionality from his experimental kernels, so I doubt that anyone will see a TMC error.

-- Rod
    Thats excellent!
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post

-- Rod

Running Harrier - got TMC last night with only 5 cards open (4 browser and Music Remix).

M.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    Running Harrier - got TMC last night with only 5 cards open (4 browser and Music Remix).

M.

P.S.
    Yes, I'm sure I'm running Harrier:

Code:
    /# date
    Sat Dec  4 10:39:13 EST 2010
    /# uptime
     10:39:15 up 1 day, 20:31,  1 user,  load average: 0.69, 2.19, 3.21
    /# uname -a
    Linux palm-webos-device 2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430 #unixpsycho-AV8B Wed Nov 17 15:30:57 EST 2010 armv7l unknown
    EDIT:

Attached a couple days of logs, if that helps any.

messages.zip
    Last edited by Xanadu73; 12/04/2010 at 11:19 AM.
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    Any word on when the AV8B package will be released into the preware testing feeds? Or am I better off membooting it?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
    As far as I'm aware the AV8B kernel does nothing except the vdemand scaling at 1GHz. I've gotten the TMC error a number of times, but it doesn't really bother me.

Compared to 1.2GHz, I'm going to say that overall the 1.2GHz is snapper, but not by much. I'd put AV8B somewhere between F-105 and SR-71.

I'd wait until the kernel gets packaged in the testing feed, unless you're dying to test it out.
  10.    #730  
    AV8B is missing alot of my extra features...compcache, etc... so don't be alarmed.

Adding all this stuff back in takes a bit of time since i'm patching all over the place...then there's the day job... and trolling other forums.
    Live free or DIE!
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    As far as I'm aware the AV8B kernel does nothing except the vdemand scaling at 1GHz. I've gotten the TMC error a number of times, but it doesn't really bother me.

Compared to 1.2GHz, I'm going to say that overall the 1.2GHz is snapper, but not by much. I'd put AV8B somewhere between F-105 and SR-71.

I'd wait until the kernel gets packaged in the testing feed, unless you're dying to test it out.
    Thanks! Yeah, ill wait for the package. Its just less work haha.
    I am still excited to try it out though, 1.2 on my phone runs very stable *most* of the time. Once in a while (especially when I do really well in angry birds) it restarts my phone (before angry birds can save my progress ). So this maybe a tab less snappier but if it never ever fails than awesome!

Also, how would you compare AV8B this to the 1.1Ghz Starfighter? I used it for a while, just didn't sit well with my phone for some reason.
    I've not tested the 1.1GHz kernel, so I can't give you any feedback there. This kernel is more stable then SR-71 on my Pre.
    Just wanted to give a thanks to Marco for packaging up the AV-8B and throwing it out on the testing feeds. As others have already stated, the battery life with this kernel is superior to any other OC'ing option out there. Now i can restart my phone again without having to be near a PC to memboot....THX!
    I see a placeholder instead of the actual kernel. What version of webos are you on?
    I've been though all the testing kernel feeds and it's just placeholders for now. The changelog shows revision 134, though.
    I stand corrected.....sorry for causing chaos. :redface
    No problem. No problem. Honest mistake.
    Just like me to be premature!
  19.    #739  
    AV8B isnt building right... ignore -136 and others.

EDIT: nevermind, -136 is ok.
    Last edited by unixpsycho; 12/05/2010 at 11:28 PM.
    Live free or DIE!
    How bout now? Thanks again Unix! This time for real!