Page 36 of 74 FirstFirst ... 26313233343536373839404146 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
    hey unixpsycho can u post other link so i can read about that new kernel loks like when im cliking the link i have a hash code on the page. im talking about AV8B.
    Quote Originally Posted by Patalach View Post
    hey unixpsycho can u post other link so i can read about that new kernel loks like when im cliking the link i have a hash code on the page. im talking about AV8B.

man wget

M.
    wget what ?? is that a file i can download ?? i wana read some more about this kernel fires !!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Patalach View Post
    wget what ?? is that a file i can download ?? i wana read some more about this kernel fires !!!
    Sorry, missunderstood. 'Psycho loosly explains what this kernel does and how it decides what it does a few posts back. If you need more then I guess you'll have to wait for 'Psycho to make the patch source public. I just checked and it does NOT *seem* to be in the git repo.

M.
    Last edited by Xanadu73; 11/24/2010 at 05:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpsycho View Post
    You can test going lower on the voltage for the "low" scale. Those 3 numbers worked stable for me with good battery life, i'm sure it can go lower.

CPU util: 0-30%=low, 31-70%=med, 71-100%=high.
    Ok, I'm trying setting 60 60 58, and going down from there, as 60 was the minimum I could get it working stable with Thunderbird.

The CPU util is the one I get with top, right?

Seems stable at 58, I'm going to try 56

--- Nevermind, it didn't get to 58, that Govnah didn't set it... going manually

Also, how much time passes until the cpu load goes down until the Pre explodes? Because I was going down, and stopped at 50. At that moment I was still running top. I stopped top, did the gesture to move to Govnah, and it froze there, so I think it was maybe running with the mid voltage and when I changed cards it went to the low voltage or something

Seems promising tho
    Last edited by NuttyBunny; 11/24/2010 at 06:08 PM.
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
    thx xanadu73 for explaining that for me i read preawiuse post but i was thinking is something more to read.
    I don't know what happened, but ever since the last F105 update my Pre has been burning through battery like crazy, and the load averages are through the roof (20+). I even doctored the phone at one point and it's still burning through battery. Before I used to be able to make it through a day comfortably, now it churns at about 13% per hour.

Eventually I gave up and installed UberKernel instead, which does not have this problem (but occasionally annoys with the TMC error).
    I just did ^this too since my battery usage was out of control, and now my battery usage is back to normal (~2-3/hour).

Not sure what changed or what was going on. The logs weren't reporting anything abnormal.

I didn't change anything else, just updated F105, and finally today I uninstalled it and installed UK.
    Last edited by webfellow; 12/01/2010 at 12:43 PM. Reason: .
    FWIW, No problems with the F105 update here.
  10.    #710  
    You all need to read the thread to know what's been going on.

you would have seen newer versions (with changelogs) and expected to report results... instead people post they install UK to fix it.

Like i said repeatedly in more than one thread, if you dont want to test a "testing" kernel and give feedback then dont install it. (and that was putting it abruptly)
    Live free or DIE!
    You all need to read the thread to know what's been going on.

you would have seen newer versions (with changelogs) and expected to report results... instead people post they install UK to fix it.

Like i said repeatedly in more than one thread, if you dont want to test a "testing" kernel and give feedback then dont install it. (and that was putting it abruptly)
    Not sure I follow. The thread is pretty long, but I've tried to read through to see if there's anything that I'm missing and I haven't been able to identify what it is yet, that's why I posted what I'm finding. Right now my feedback is that F105 is burning through battery for me -- I *want* to run F105, it's the kernel I have used daily ever since it was released, but at the same time I have to have a usable phone. I go through the changelog every time I see an upgrade, but even power users like me are not necessarily kernel hackers so I can't exactly tell why I'm experiencing what I'm experiencing. Is there a newer version of F105 that isn't in the testing feed?

Actually after I read through the thread I found out about the AVB8 kernel, which I've now used for the past couple of days and it works really awesome. The only issue I've had with it so far is that when I try to turn on Compcache the phone resets.
  12.    #712  
    Quote Originally Posted by xcomputerman View Post
    Not sure I follow. The thread is pretty long, but I've tried to read through to see if there's anything that I'm missing and I haven't been able to identify what it is yet, that's why I posted what I'm finding. Right now my feedback is that F105 is burning through battery for me -- I *want* to run F105, it's the kernel I have used daily ever since it was released, but at the same time I have to have a usable phone. I go through the changelog every time I see an upgrade, but even power users like me are not necessarily kernel hackers so I can't exactly tell why I'm experiencing what I'm experiencing. Is there a newer version of F105 that isn't in the testing feed?

Actually after I read through the thread I found out about the AVB8 kernel, which I've now used for the past couple of days and it works really awesome. The only issue I've had with it so far is that when I try to turn on Compcache the phone resets.
    a few pages back F105 added an overclock VDD2... so battery life may suck more but there is an option to tweak those voltages.

I dont think i compiled in compcache support in AV8B. I'm surprised Govnah let you do it?

Still waiting for more response from AV8B. If battery life is better than stock 1gig then i'll make a package. Right now i'm concentrating efforts on porting kernels to webOS 2.0.x, unless popular demand wants an AV8B package for 1.4.5.
    Live free or DIE!
    a few pages back F105 added an overclock VDD2... so battery life may suck more but there is an option to tweak those voltages.

I dont think i compiled in compcache support in AV8B. I'm surprised Govnah let you do it?

Still waiting for more response from AV8B. If battery life is better than stock 1gig then i'll make a package. Right now i'm concentrating efforts on porting kernels to webOS 2.0.x, unless popular demand wants an AV8B package for 1.4.5.
    Hmm, I'll see if tweaking the VDD2 voltage helps. Battery life on AV8B is definitely awesome and I'm all for making a package out of it. AV8B is the most responsive kernel I've ever tried -- really makes the phone a joy to use. If you do decide to make a package, please compile in Compcache if possible.
    av8b is also the best kernel i've used so far. I've been usng it exclusively since the release. I'd love for it to compiled with compache, overclock vdd2r and the charhe at 500 option so it doesn't get to hot while charging and on the phone...
  15.    #715  
    Quote Originally Posted by xadjustx View Post
    av8b is also the best kernel i've used so far. I've been usng it exclusively since the release. I'd love for it to compiled with compache, overclock vdd2r and the charhe at 500 option so it doesn't get to hot while charging and on the phone...
    scaling down to 500MHz will be hard as there is only one speed with AV8B; 1gig.
    Live free or DIE!
    Forget that thought then, but av8b is still the best battery life I've experienced from 1ghz. I found a weird bug, once the battery (while charging) % gets to 95% it scales down to 500, and once it drops below 95% or you stop charging it goes back to 1.05, this is using AV8B btw. I tried to recreate it, bu after the first two times doing it, it won't happen again.

Last edited by xadjustx; 12/02/2010 at 08:30 PM.
  17.    #717  
    Quote Originally Posted by xadjustx View Post
    Forget that thought then, but av8b is still the best battery life I've experienced from 1ghz. I found a weird bug, once the battery (while charging) % gets to 95% it scales down to 500, and once it drops below 95% or you stop charging it goes back to 1.05, this is using AV8B btw. I tried to recreate it, bu after the first two times doing it, it won't happen again.

Hmm. interesting bug. not sure how that can happen when 500 is pulled out. i'll have to dig a little deeper.
    Live free or DIE!
    Hmm. interesting bug. not sure how that can happen when 500 is pulled out. i'll have to dig a little deeper.

I dunno, no issue here:

On a related note, I did see your tweet about working on a package of Harrier. That's fantastic news!

I did want to chime in a say that, even with the crappy Seideo battery I have, I do see somewhat improved battery life. I can't honestly say I understand why that is (since in times of load, it actually sucks more power), but it is what I see. I've only been running this kernel (almost) two days, though.

I do have to agree with others that the interface Feels Snappier. I don't think anything is actually "faster", meaning, apps still take roughly the same amount of time to actually load and stuff. I mean, a gig is a gig, but cards seem to pop up faster, Preware seems to chug though the feed lists faster and that kind of thing. Maybe it's just the that when the device yells "Feed me, Seymour!", this kernel actually does give it food with your vDemand Governor.

I dunno.

Yet another huge "Thank you!" goes out to you, 'Psycho!

M.
  19.    #719  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    I dunno, no issue here:

On a related note, I did see your tweet about working on a package of Harrier. That's fantastic news!

I did want to chime in a say that, even with the crappy Seideo battery I have, I do see somewhat improved battery life. I can't honestly say I understand why that is (since in times of load, it actually sucks more power), but it is what I see. I've only been running this kernel (almost) two days, though.

I do have to agree with others that the interface Feels Snappier. I don't think anything is actually "faster", meaning, apps still take roughly the same amount of time to actually load and stuff. I mean, a gig is a gig, but cards seem to pop up faster, Preware seems to chug though the feed lists faster and that kind of thing. Maybe it's just the that when the device yells "Feed me, Seymour!", this kernel actually does give it food with your vDemand Governor.

M.
    You can tweak the cpu load voltage params. The defaults I put in there are for stable usage, YMMV.
    Live free or DIE!
  20.    #720  
    Quote Originally Posted by RUSH View Post
    (Update)
    Girlie pre seems to be running at 1.2Ghz speed. Hmm! Interesting - I thought it would have crash already. I guess if your phone refuse to boot-up after installing a certain kernel, instead of doctoring - just remove and reinsert the battery after a few hours..and see how that work out for you.
    Placebo.
    Live free or DIE!