Page 29 of 74 FirstFirst ... 19242526272829303132333439 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
    Just wanted to drop in my results with f105.. I apologize I was not able to provide exact details and everything like other testers.. But I hope this help some.. I have played around with kernels, especially with f105 and UK.. I have come to conclusion that f105 is the best kernel for my pre, especially compared to UK.. Responsive and battery wises, it is very stable.. My battery drainage avg gained a little bit, however, not little enough to my preference. But I can't have everything.. Also, it did shut down when idled two or three times ever since I started using f105.. Other than those two issues, my pre is perfect with f105..
  2.    #562  
    hmm. This shutdown thing isn't good. Especially where it gracefully shuts down. I would prefer a crash.

Can someone grab me the messages file after one of these shutdowns? and the time range, if known.
    Live free or DIE!
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpsycho View Post
    hmm. This shutdown thing isn't good. Especially where it gracefully shuts down. I would prefer a crash.
    Ah, on that case, should I stop using f105? Wouldn't want my Pre to wear down quickly.. I know, by using f105 or any other experimental kernels, will wear it down quick.. But, like you said, shut down thing isn't good.. So?

Edit: p.s. I forgot to add I turned the compcache on, I had it on 24.. Although, I just checked govnah to make sure that I actually turned it on, it is however on '20480mb'?
    Last edited by GridIron21; 09/28/2010 at 11:14 PM.
  4.    #564  
    Quote Originally Posted by GridIron21 View Post
    Ah, on that case, should I stop using f105? Wouldn't want my Pre to wear down quickly.. I know, by using f105 or any other experimental kernels, will wear it down quick.. But, like you said, shut down thing isn't good.. So?

Edit: p.s. I forgot to add I turned the compcache on, I had it on 24.. Although, I just checked govnah to make sure that I actually turned it on, it is however on '20480mb'?
    You have already voided your warranty long ago by installing *any* overclocking kernel; stable or otherwise. You already knocked off a year of life.

The only way the Pre can shutdown gracefully is something from userspace is telling it to shutdown; like battery too low, etc...

So this may all be affected from voltage changes. My Pre has never shutdown but it has reported a bogus low battery warning once, but a battery pull fixed it - no charging needed.

I'm curious if any SR71 users had a "shutdown" problem with the latest build.
    Live free or DIE!
    I have not had any unexpected shutdowns, graceful or otherwise, with SR71 on my pre. I check preware multiple times a day for updates, so I've been running the latest version since it came out.
    You have already voided your warranty long ago by installing *any* overclocking kernel; stable or otherwise. You already knocked off a year of life.
    Yes, I am aware of that, it is written on almost every experimental kernel page.. What I meant is, like you said, shut down thing isn't good.. And I assume that it means it's straining pre more than expected or whatever.. To "lessen the straining", should I change to different kernel?

Can someone grab me the messages file after one of these shutdowns? and the time range, if known.

I've had exactly two complete crashes since late spring / early summer. No crashing issues here.

However, I've been having some major issues with long audio files that I never had before. Now that I'm thinking about it, it may have started after the 1.4.5 (Sprint) update. Every night I listen to a 4 - 4.5 hour long MP3. These days, the mediaserver is SEGV'ing sometimes even after just a minute or so of play. I've listened to the same VERY long files every night some I got my Pre last October and have only started having an issue the past few weeks. I thought It was Dan's latest Media Player (I think there is some issues with the Resume Play that I working with him on), but it happens even with the stock player.

I have some logs saved I can get to you. I wouldn't normally bother you with this kind of thing (and also why I haven't up to this point). I don't know if it has something to do with all the DSP play you had been doing(assuming DSP in the webOS world is the same DSP that is audio on Linux) may not be playing nice with something that HPalm may have changed..

M.

EDIT:

Sorry...

webos 1.4.5
    Sprint Pre (not launch)
    F105-110
    Govnah-0.6.9
    Last edited by Xanadu73; 09/29/2010 at 05:49 PM.
  8.    #568  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    I've had exactly two complete crashes since late spring / early summer. No crashing issues here.

However, I've been having some major issues with long audio files that I never had before. Now that I'm thinking about it, it may have started after the 1.4.5 (Sprint) update. Every night I listen to a 4 - 4.5 hour long MP3. These days, the mediaserver is SEGV'ing sometimes even after just a minute or so of play. I've listened to the same VERY long files every night some I got my Pre last October and have only started having an issue the past few weeks. I thought It was Dan's latest Media Player (I think there is some issues with the Resume Play that I working with him on), but it happens even with the stock player.

I have some logs saved I can get to you. I wouldn't normally bother you with this kind of thing (and also why I haven't up to this point). I don't know if it has something to do with all the DSP play you had been doing(assuming DSP in the webOS world is the same DSP that is audio on Linux) may not be playing nice with something that HPalm may have changed..
    DSP I play with is a physical piece of hardware . There is a bug from TI in this version of the kernel that has to be worked around. In SR71 the DSP is underclocked, So I dont think that is your problem.

Post some snippet of relevant logs during the shutdown period.
    Live free or DIE!
    Tested Warthog Kernel .117 (latest), didn't play nice with my pre. Tried out UberKernel but couldn't get good voltage settings out of it, wasn't very good on battery either. Then I decided to install F105 Thunderchief and its fantastic. Once you take time to tweak the voltages its worth installing. Battery life is also amazing too So far I was able to run luna (ui), n.o.v.a (game), putki (game) stable no crashes with these voltage settings:

500 Mhz - 950 mV

700 MHz - 1075 mV

800 MHz - 1137.5 mV

900 MHz - 1225 mV

1.005 GHz - 1312.5 mV
    DSP I play with is a physical piece of hardware . There is a bug from TI in this version of the kernel that has to be worked around. In SR71 the DSP is underclocked, So I dont think that is your problem.

Post some snippet of relevant logs during the shutdown period.
    messages.zip

I'm very sorry for the lack of communication. Work has not been kind to me the past couple months...

There's two dumps here. I had already cleaned them a little bit because they are also destined for the maker of Music Play Remix as well. I did still have it dump last night, so I'll grab a more raw version and get that here too.

This happens whenever I play LONG MP3 files (4+ hours). I've had exactly zero issues playing these VERY long files prior to 1.4.5. They definitely did something different with the sound system because I had to re-do my personal appclose.pcm sound (it no longer wanted to play a stereo pcm properly, I had to make them mono).

I can't say that there's anything that "you" can do about it in-kernel, but, I'm just rying to cover all the bases. I will say, however, using the stick kernel does NOT act like this. It seems to be more of a frequency change thing (rather than your config). If I get an email while playing one of these LONG files, chances are VERY good that it'll dump (because the screen comes on and speeds the phone back up).

I dunno. Maybe you'll see something I missed.

M.
    Got a quick question: If I want to change from one OC kernel to another (like from UK to F105 or SR71, for example) do I need to revert to the stock kernel first, or is it Ok to just install the new one?

Thanks!
  12.    #572  
    messages.zip

I'm very sorry for the lack of communication. Work has not been kind to me the past couple months...

There's two dumps here. I had already cleaned them a little bit because they are also destined for the maker of Music Play Remix as well. I did still have it dump last night, so I'll grab a more raw version and get that here too.

This happens whenever I play LONG MP3 files (4+ hours). I've had exactly zero issues playing these VERY long files prior to 1.4.5. They definitely did something different with the sound system because I had to re-do my personal appclose.pcm sound (it no longer wanted to play a stereo pcm properly, I had to make them mono).

I can't say that there's anything that "you" can do about it in-kernel, but, I'm just rying to cover all the bases. I will say, however, using the stick kernel does NOT act like this. It seems to be more of a frequency change thing (rather than your config). If I get an email while playing one of these LONG files, chances are VERY good that it'll dump (because the screen comes on and speeds the phone back up).

I dunno. Maybe you'll see something I missed.

M.
    Does this happen if you had UberKernel installed?
    Live free or DIE!
    Does this happen if you had UberKernel installed?

Fantastic question. I do not know. I'll take Thunderchief off and throw UK at my phone. Any particular settings, or just go straight default? I'm going to default unless I hear different.

Thank you.

M.
  14.    #574  
    Fantastic question. I do not know. I'll take Thunderchief off and throw UK at my phone. Any particular settings, or just go straight default? I'm going to default unless I hear different.

Thank you.

M.
    F105 has different DSP settings than SR71 and UK.

You'll have to use 1GHz profile and 500MHz screen-off to mimic F105 in UK.
    Live free or DIE!
    F105 has different DSP settings than SR71 and UK.

You'll have to use 1GHz profile and 500MHz screen-off to mimic F105 in UK.
    (Here is "messages" and .0 since I didn't know how far back you want to go, but, "messages" should be all you need)

Logs.zip

Raw, untouched, logs from last night.

The media player dumped on me twice last night. Both were around 11:30 (IIRC - it was getting rather late...)

Interestingly, the third time I went to play my 4+ hour MP3 file, it was fine and I woke up to it playing which means it was fine all night. The different thing I did before the third time was re-enable the Charger Override) so it was locked at 1GHz and (shouldn't have) been clocking down.

Play 1st time: 2010-10-07T03:06:39.538696Z
    Play 2nd time: 2010-10-07T03:36:09.242553Z
    Play 3rd time: 2010-10-07T03:47:50.119537Z

(You'll see a few others, but that was just me getting it back to the right daily and stuff)

M.
  16.    #576  
    (Here is "messages" and .0 since I didn't know how far back you want to go, but, "messages" should be all you need)

Logs.zip

Raw, untouched, logs from last night.

The media player dumped on me twice last night. Both were around 11:30 (IIRC - it was getting rather late...)

Interestingly, the third time I went to play my 4+ hour MP3 file, it was fine and I woke up to it playing which means it was fine all night. The different thing I did before the third time was re-enable the Charger Override) so it was locked at 1GHz and (shouldn't have) been clocking down.

Play 1st time: 2010-10-07T03:06:39.538696Z
    Play 2nd time: 2010-10-07T03:36:09.242553Z
    Play 3rd time: 2010-10-07T03:47:50.119537Z

(You'll see a few others, but that was just me getting it back to the right daily and stuff)

M.
    With charger override it will still clock down when screen is off, but if the charger is plugged in the phone doesnt try to go into deep sleep. With the override off it will stay at 500MHz if charging... so i would assume it working better at 500MHz. But i dont see it running at 500MHz fixed with the DSP dying. I did see some 125MHz stuff in there... bad bad bad but looks like it was at startup.

The DSP seems to be dropping dead after the media server stops. It is normal for it to sleep and restart but I'm wondering if it is because of the speed changes.

Can you run "userspace" gov and set min and max to 1gig and run your test again. and run it stock 500Mhz if that fails. Lets try to rule out speed changes on the DSP.
    Live free or DIE!
    With charger override it will still clock down when screen is off, but if the charger is plugged in the phone doesnt try to go into deep sleep. With the override off it will stay at 500MHz if charging... so i would assume it working better at 500MHz. But i dont see it running at 500MHz fixed with the DSP dying. I did see some 125MHz stuff in there... bad bad bad but looks like it was at startup.

The DSP seems to be dropping dead after the media server stops. It is normal for it to sleep and restart but I'm wondering if it is because of the speed changes.

Can you run "userspace" gov and set min and max to 1gig and run your test again. and run it stock 500Mhz if that fails. Lets try to rule out speed changes on the DSP.

I forgot that UK goes below 500MHz for most of the evening, so that ought to explain the 125MHz stuff. Surprisingly, I didn't notice! My Pre Minus hasn't liked 125 at all in the past.

I have set it to UserSpace and 1G across the board. I'll report back.

Thanks for the intricate info on the very slight differences in when/how the different states happen!

M.
    All I have to say is THANK YOU UNIXPSYCHO!!! I showed the local radio shack verizon geeks the overclocking ability with the first overclocking programs and kernals and they loved it. One or two just bought "defective" palm pre plus's to overclock to the max and run them till they died without actually activating them to use as phones.
    Can you run "userspace" gov and set min and max to 1gig and run your test again.
    Played fine all night!

messages.0.zip

I started play: 2010-10-08T03:54:06.377532Z
    Went to the next track at: 2010-10-08T05:18:59.344085Z

Interestingly, it jumped to another right away. I don't know why: 2010-10-08T05:19:00.078308Z

Would you like me to try the 500MHz anyway, or is this good enough for you?

M.
  20.    #580  
    Played fine all night!

messages.0.zip

I started play: 2010-10-08T03:54:06.377532Z
    Went to the next track at: 2010-10-08T05:18:59.344085Z

Interestingly, it jumped to another right away. I don't know why: 2010-10-08T05:19:00.078308Z

Would you like me to try the 500MHz anyway, or is this good enough for you?

M.
    Nope, running flat out 1gig proves the point that the DSP doesnt like its speed to be changed... even tho it is not really changing but the code to do the changing is called when the screen turns off. Not really a screenstate bug but a DSP feature.

For a workaround set a Mode Switcher profile or a Govnah profile for static speed using userspace so it doesnt call the freq changing code. I'll have to think about if it's feasible to add another override to disable cpu freq scaling in screenstate while on the charger for screen off. if this is a good idea then i'll add it, if not then adding a profile just for long audio will work as well.
    Live free or DIE!