Page 13 of 74 FirstFirst ... 3891011121314151617182363 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
    Yeah - That would be awesome, and would unlock a lot of potential that strait overclocking cannot. Faster boot times and better battery life are always good things in my book. What kind of governor type are you thinking? Something that integrates with SmartReflex nicely?
    Quote Originally Posted by evertec View Post
    It's not really corollary to say that the behavior of pres will vary with a software patch vs hardware differences. The amount that the hardware can be pushed varies due to slight variations in the manufacturing process, but software is coded the same and all pres should interpret it the same. The only difference that could arise is if other software patches are making other changes that affect the fast card patch. That being said, I don't doubt that it feels faster to you, in fact, when you first mentioned it, I tried it and apps seemed to be opening instantaneously, like you said. I decided to do a stopwatch test to verify that, going in fully expecting the results to point to the no fast card animations to be faster. However, while the initial screen of the app does seem to load faster, the total time elapsed until the app is usable was slower with most apps. Try stopwatching on a couple apps, I'd be interested to see if your results are different. If so, maybe you have another patch that's speeding things up as well.

I thought I would actually skip the stopwatch test all together and opted instead for a side by side comparison using a relatives Pre Plus with the faster anims and glow patch installed on hers, and also many of the same patches, also the same f105 and govnah settings, the conclusion was that more times than not; my apps opened fractions of a second or more faster.

I personally like the fluidity of the slower stock animation and glow.
    Pre|central Peacekeepers

"Keeping the smart phone world at peace one PALM at a time"

Me and Dropbox, sitting in a tree. S-Y-N-C-I-N-G. http://db.tt/qetBsiR
    I wanted to share a screen capture with you all. My lowest temp ever recorded and another interesting set of decimal numbers that you all are very familiar with. I got a good kick out of this one
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Pre|central Peacekeepers

EDIT

I just gave your settings a test, and saved a sticky profile for it. Worked great

I then went ahead and did the same for another separate sticky profile only this time I dropped each VDD1 VSEL by two

56 48 40 36 28 and the moment I touched apply settings the screen froze up, and moments later the screen faded away and my phone hard booted.

I tried it again and the same thing happened, only this time it happened after it applied the settings and I touched the save as new profile tab.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob600 View Post
    Intro
    This is a follow up to my previous post about the minimum voltages that I found to be stable on my Pre. I don't suggest these will work for others, but they may give some useful data for those looking for lower bounds of what someones Pre will take at various speeds.

Testing methodology
    On 1005MHz I started at stock and decreased in increments of 2 until I failed. On the following and lower speeds, I started 2 below the previous speed and decreased until it failed. I tested for failure with the following work flow of apps being launched as quickly as possible after a voltage change was entered:
    1. Launch Web to news.yahoo.com
    2. Launch Preware with full update
    3. Launch Phone
    4. Launch Messaging
    5. Launch Calendar
    6. Launch Mail and update
    7. Launch the HTML5 dots demo from HP with 120 particles

Second Test is as follows:
    1. Launch Preware with full update
    2. Launch YouTube and play video

If it passed the above stress test, I left it as this voltage for ~15-30 minutes to see if it survied. If it did, decrement by 2 and start over.

Setup
    Palm Pre (Sprint)
    F105-1.4.1-99
    WiFi On
    GPS Off
    Bluetooth Off
    Screen @ 90%

Results

Code:
    1005MHz 58 (1.325V)
    900MHz 50 (1.225V)
    800MHz 42 (1.125V)
    700MHz 38 (1.075V)
    500MHz 30 (0.975V)
    Graphs

Conclusions:

I was able to achieve my goal of finding the lower end of VDD1 VSEL values for my F-105-99 kernel and while doing so was able to generate some data that showed a "sweet spot" for my Pre at 800MHz. You can see the "sweet spot" on the following zoomed graph of MHz per VDD1 VSEL. Given this interesting info, I've settled on Screenstate 500/800 as being the best bang for the buck on my Pre.
    Last edited by RoLLEmUp; 08/10/2010 at 10:38 PM.
    Pre|central Peacekeepers

Third attempt had the same result as above.
    Pre|central Peacekeepers

Okay ladies and gents. After my third attempt at voltage tweaks, I experienced another freeze up followed by a dying, fading screen and hard boot, only this time upon opening Govnah I got the pop up screen prior to the app itself that gives you info about the latest update. it turns out everything got reset. I am going to give voltage tweaking and save a sticky profile once again.

EDIT: I am noticing three things thus far since the third hard boot I went through after voltage tweaking. They are, foursquare auto log in was reset, when I open m.youtube i can sign in but the video feed stays on 'Loading Videos'... And lastly, I opened Preware and it opened it up as if I had just updated to 1.2.7 with the whats new pop up prior to downloading the feeds.

Everything else seems fine. I watched a youtube video and opened up preware and my phone didn't reboot or hiccup. I'm going to run more tests and open every one of my apps to see how they run and if anything else was reset. Also, i'll browse the web a little and do some multi tasking and multiple cards running tests as well.
    Last edited by RoLLEmUp; 08/10/2010 at 10:59 PM.
    Pre|central Peacekeepers

I was right. All of my saved preferences from every app were reset after the third and final hard boot. I sense a popular 7th inning baseball song theme going on there. 1, 2, 3 strikes you're out in the old ball game lol.

I did a battery pull and my m.youtube videos to view list loads up fine.

since my post where I tested Rob600's voltage settings, my battery has taken a 17% hit. That's inluding the 3 hard boots and the battery pull.
    Pre|central Peacekeepers

Quote Originally Posted by RoLLEmUp View Post
    I was right. All of my saved preferences were reset.
    Hardware crashes and battery pulls will do that quite easily.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    So, has anyone tried to load SR71 on 1.4.5 or do we need to wait for an update from Unix?
    All WebOS Internals kernels, public and testing, are compatible with 1.4.5

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Left the F105 Kernal installed for the update... after update it wasn't running. Uninstalled, rebooted, and went to reinstall and got error in log saying it wasn't compatible with this OS version and was aborting. I read many times that the 105 was compatible.. am I mistaken?
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Left the F105 Kernal installed for the update... after update it wasn't running. Uninstalled, rebooted, and went to reinstall and got error in log saying it wasn't compatible with this OS version and was aborting. I read many times that the 105 was compatible.. am I mistaken?
    I am having the same issue. Tried reinstalling with the same error message.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    It is expected that it will not be running after the OTA update, since Palm updated the stock kernel. I tweeted about that less than 24 hours ago.

How are you uninstalling it, and how are you reinstalling it? And did you Update Feeds first?

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    How are you uninstalling it, and how are you reinstalling it? And did you Update Feeds first?

-- Rod
    webos quickinstall. Feeds have been updated.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    webos quickinstall. Feeds have been updated.
    It is an intentional safety feature that the ipk file you used for webOS 1.4.1 will not work for webOS 1.4.5 or any other webOS version.

You should always use Preware and install from the public or testing feeds, not from a stand-alone ipk file.

-- Rod
    On another note Palm seems to have improved memory management with the 1.4.5 kernel. I have yet to see a TMC error.
    On another note Palm seems to have improved memory management with the 1.4.5 kernel. I have yet to see a TMC error.
    The Palm 1.4.5 kernel is unchanged from the Palm 1.4.1 kernel according to the kernel source code on opensource.palm.com

I suspect the changes are elsewhere, e.g. in LunaSysMgr.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    It is an intentional safety feature that the ipk file you used for webOS 1.4.1 will not work for webOS 1.4.5 or any other webOS version.

You should always use Preware and install from the public or testing feeds, not from a stand-alone ipk file.

-- Rod
    Wow really? I would think webOS Quick Install would pull from the same feed (which it does) and install any valid ipk app.

Does Preware doing something special that it doesn't?
    Wow really? I would think webOS Quick Install would pull from the same feed (which it does) and install any valid ipk app.

Does Preware doing something special that it doesn't?
    WebOS Quick Install does not access webOS version specific kernel feeds at all.

Nor does it follow package dependencies.

And it still calls the buggy Palm rescan service which kills your phone, messaging and calendar apps and causes random Luna restarts.

Do not use it for anything to do with custom kernels.

-- Rod
    Hey rwhitby, I noticed when trying to access the kernel feed url, the 1.4.5 folder in particular I am getting an error. Seems strange since I have always been able to browse the folder like I am the 1.4.1.1 folder.