Page 11 of 74 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415162161 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 220 of 1472
Like Tree4Likes
  1. #201  
    just look around the internet for the kernel testing feed and then add the feed to preware. happy overclocking. I've been running the blackbird myself
  2. #202  
    Intro
    This is a follow up to my previous post about the minimum voltages that I found to be stable on my Pre. I don't suggest these will work for others, but they may give some useful data for those looking for lower bounds of what someones Pre will take at various speeds.

    Testing methodology
    On 1005MHz I started at stock and decreased in increments of 2 until I failed. On the following and lower speeds, I started 2 below the previous speed and decreased until it failed. I tested for failure with the following work flow of apps being launched as quickly as possible after a voltage change was entered:
    1. Launch Web to news.yahoo.com
    2. Launch Preware with full update
    3. Launch Phone
    4. Launch Messaging
    5. Launch Calendar
    6. Launch Mail and update
    7. Launch the HTML5 dots demo from HP with 120 particles

    Second Test is as follows:
    1. Launch Preware with full update
    2. Launch YouTube and play video

    If it passed the above stress test, I left it as this voltage for ~15-30 minutes to see if it survied. If it did, decrement by 2 and start over.

    Setup
    Palm Pre (Sprint)
    1.4.1.1
    F105-1.4.1-99
    WiFi On
    GPS Off
    Bluetooth Off
    Screen @ 90%

    Results

    Code:
    1005MHz 58 (1.325V)
    900MHz 50 (1.225V)
    800MHz 42 (1.125V)
    700MHz 38 (1.075V)
    500MHz 30 (0.975V)
    Graphs




    Conclusions:

    I was able to achieve my goal of finding the lower end of VDD1 VSEL values for my F-105-99 kernel and while doing so was able to generate some data that showed a "sweet spot" for my Pre at 800MHz. You can see the "sweet spot" on the following zoomed graph of MHz per VDD1 VSEL. Given this interesting info, I've settled on Screenstate 500/800 as being the best bang for the buck on my Pre.
    Last edited by Rob600; 08/10/2010 at 03:41 AM. Reason: updated data, tested with YouTube and Preware
  3. chilo141's Avatar
    Posts
    24 Posts
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    #203  
    hey guys I installed the blackbird kernel but when I go to govnah and change from 500mhz to 1.2 it stays at 500mhz...why?
  4. #204  
    When testing stability at the lower voltages, don't forget to include phone calls as part of the test. Below 58 at 1ghz I had lockups which would only occur during calls. It would really suck if you needed to make a 911 call and the phone needed a battery pull !.
  5. andymac85's Avatar
    Posts
    79 Posts
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    #205  
    Quote Originally Posted by chilo141 View Post
    hey guys I installed the blackbird kernel but when I go to govnah and change from 500mhz to 1.2 it stays at 500mhz...why?
    when you're plugged into anything that uses the wall charger, clock speed is set to 500mhz...might be the case with the car charger too.
  6. #206  
    Quote Originally Posted by fryedchikin View Post
    When testing stability at the lower voltages, don't forget to include phone calls as part of the test. Below 58 at 1ghz I had lockups which would only occur during calls. It would really suck if you needed to make a 911 call and the phone needed a battery pull !.
    Very good point, I'll re-test with a couple of phone calls. Oddly, phone calls didn't even cross my mind. <bonks self on head>
  7. #207  
    Quote Originally Posted by fryedchikin View Post
    When testing stability at the lower voltages, don't forget to include phone calls as part of the test. Below 58 at 1ghz I had lockups which would only occur during calls. It would really suck if you needed to make a 911 call and the phone needed a battery pull !.
    already thought of it.
    My set up: o2 uk Pre webOS 1.4.5, F105 kernel, 1ghz set at 56, 500 set at 29
    I made a few 5/10 min phone calls and one call of more than an hour, everything was absolutely butter smooth, not static or lock ups while on phone.

    Pip
  8. #208  
    Very nice Rob, thanks for those numbers, I've set my 800Mhz to 46, just to be safe, but it seems just fine right now after several hours.
  9. chilo141's Avatar
    Posts
    24 Posts
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    #209  
    Quote Originally Posted by Andymac85 View Post
    when you're plugged into anything that uses the wall charger, clock speed is set to 500mhz...might be the case with the car charger too.
    oooooo I thought somethin was wrong lolthanks
  10. eesucks's Avatar
    Posts
    62 Posts
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    #210  
    I was wondering whether the OMAP3450 has the ability to customize the voltages used in SmartReflex or if the kernel supports this.

    Does the the way the custom kernels set the voltage fix the voltage under all loads or will it drop to a lower voltage during low load/sleep states?
  11. evertec's Avatar
    Posts
    25 Posts
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    #211  
    Quote Originally Posted by RoLLEmUp View Post
    That's a great test you did there and all,thanks for that. But as we all know, results will vary with every other persons phone. Much like how many people can not run sr71, the same could be said about the faster cards animation with glow in relation to performance results.
    for me, and a few others here already; removing the patch has shown and proven a great difference in speed and responsiveness. Your results compared to others who have agreed with me have had far different results than those posted on your experiment.
    I am convinced enough to the point where I will never install the faster anims and glow patch ever again.

    I simply didn't need a stopwatch experiment to prove to me the difference in speeds between the prprpr&#$275$;'$s$ $stock$ $card$ $animation$ $with$ $glow$, $compared$ $to$ $the$ $faster$ $card$ $animations$ $with$ $faster$ $glow$ $patch$. $Why$? $Because$ $many$ $of$ $my$ $apps$ $pop$ $up$ $immediately$ $the$ $moment$ $I$ $touch$ $the$ $icon$ $of$ $the$ $app$ $I$ $am$ $selecting$ $to$ $open$. $And$ $in$ $your$ $test$,$u$ $don$'$t$ $have$ $a$ $single$ $app$ $that$ $you$ $tested$ $to$ $record$ $that$ $result$ $with$ $the$ $faster$ $anims$ $and$ $glow$ $patch$.

    -- This has been my experience. I am well aware that my results do not reflect what everyone else would experience as well --

    I'l start a thread on this topic. I'd love to see the responses from others and get feedback.
    It's not really corollary to say that the behavior of pres will vary with a software patch vs hardware differences. The amount that the hardware can be pushed varies due to slight variations in the manufacturing process, but software is coded the same and all pres should interpret it the same. The only difference that could arise is if other software patches are making other changes that affect the fast card patch. That being said, I don't doubt that it feels faster to you, in fact, when you first mentioned it, I tried it and apps seemed to be opening instantaneously, like you said. I decided to do a stopwatch test to verify that, going in fully expecting the results to point to the no fast card animations to be faster. However, while the initial screen of the app does seem to load faster, the total time elapsed until the app is usable was slower with most apps. Try stopwatching on a couple apps, I'd be interested to see if your results are different. If so, maybe you have another patch that's speeding things up as well.
  12. #212  
    I think a another good test is to see if the phone works in a low signal area. I had my voltage settings at: 75 68 63 59 43 32 26 with SR-71 Palm Pre Plus. Everything has been working great, but when I brought it to work and went to turn the screen on, the phone didn't come on and eventually I help the power button and it rebooted.

    Not sure if this was caused by the voltage changes or just because, but maybe this is worth a test for us CDMA users since the phone will try to it's dear life to get a signal when there is none. :^D

    Rob, where did you get the voltage numbers? Thanks.
  13. #213  
    My Pre+ is stable running f105 at these settings. Contrary to another post I can tell a difference in battery consumption with the lower voltage settings.

    1ghz - 56
    900mhz - TBDTBDTBD
    800 - TBDTBDTBD
    700 - TBDTBDTBD
    500 - 28
  14. #214  
    Quote Originally Posted by jamhandman View Post
    I think a another good test is to see if the phone works in a low signal area. I had my voltage settings at: 75 68 63 59 43 32 26 with SR-71 Palm Pre Plus. Everything has been working great, but when I brought it to work and went to turn the screen on, the phone didn't come on and eventually I help the power button and it rebooted.

    Not sure if this was caused by the voltage changes or just because, but maybe this is worth a test for us CDMA users since the phone will try to it's dear life to get a signal when there is none. :^D

    Rob, where did you get the voltage numbers? Thanks.
    My numbers match Rob600's, but of course each Pre is different - YMMV. I've done several phone calls, longest so far was ~30 mins. Inbound/outbound work fine, phone rings just fine, no issues. All calls were at my house where Verizon signal is generally very poor (1-2 bars usually) and the Pre is one of the only phones to make/receive calls reliably anywhere indoors. No negative effects noted on wifi or bluetooth either, which have both been on.
  15. #215  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob600 View Post
    Intro
    This is a follow up to my previous post about the minimum voltages that I found to be stable on my Pre. I don't suggest these will work for others, but they may give some useful data for those looking for lower bounds of what someones Pre will take at various speeds.

    Testing methodology
    On 1005MHz I started at stock and decreased in increments of 2 until I failed. On the following and lower speeds, I started 2 below the previous speed and decreased until it failed. I tested for failure with the following work flow of apps being launched as quickly as possible after a voltage change was entered:
    1. Launch Web to news.yahoo.com
    2. Lanunch Preware with full update
    3. Launch Phone
    4. Launch Messaging
    5. Launch Calendar
    6. Launch Mail and update
    7. Launch the HTML5 dots demo from HP with 120 particles

    If it passed the above stress test, I left it as this voltage for ~15-30 minutes to see if it survied. If it did, decrement by 2 and start over.

    Setup
    Palm Pre (Sprint)
    1.4.1.1
    F105-1.4.1-99
    WiFi On
    GPS Off
    Bluetooth Off
    Screen @ 90%

    Results

    Code:
    1005MHz 56 (1.3V)
    900MHz 50 (1.225V)
    800MHz 42 (1.125V)
    700MHz 38 (1.075V)
    500MHz 30 (0.975V)
    Graphs


    I challenge you to watch a youtube video while preware loads feeds on 1ghz @ 56. I suspect a crash.
  16. #216  
    Quote Originally Posted by kill_Dano View Post
    I challenge you to watch a youtube video while preware loads feeds on 1ghz @ 56. I suspect a crash.
    I took your challenge with my Pre+. I'm running 1ghz @ 56. I played a youtube video over evdo, updated preware feeds, sent and received a text message all at the same time. No crash everything ran great.

    UPDATE:
    I tried the same test running 1ghz @ 54. My Pre+ froze during the test.
    Last edited by peterlemonjello; 08/09/2010 at 01:44 PM.
  17. #217  
    after testing over the weekend I kept getting random reboots so now I have upped the voltages and have not had a reboot since.

    Sprint Pre 1.4.1.1
    1.2Ghz SR71-92
    Govnah 0.6.6
    Voltages 80 70 68 64 40 36 30 (last two not working in SR71)
  18. #218  
    These are the lowest stable voltage settings for f105 on my Pre+. FWIW, I didn't test odd number settings. I worked in increments & decrements of 2.

    1ghz - 56
    900mhz - 48
    800 - 42
    700 - 38
    500 - 28
    Last edited by peterlemonjello; 08/09/2010 at 02:32 PM.
  19. #219  
    Quote Originally Posted by kill_Dano View Post
    I challenge you to watch a youtube video while preware loads feeds on 1ghz @ 56. I suspect a crash.
    Excellent addition to my testing work flow, thanks for the suggestion. I'll be retesting all the speeds with this and a phone call included. I'll update my post for data and work flow over the next day or so.

    FYI: It did crash my Pre @ 1GHz running at 56.
  20. #220  
    Quote Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
    These are the lowest stable voltage settings for f105 on my Pre+. FWIW, I didn't test odd number settings. I worked in increments & decrements of 2.

    1ghz - 56
    900mhz - 48
    800 - 42
    700 - 38
    500 - 28
    I'm similar:
    1ghz - 56
    900mhz - 50
    800 - 44
    700 - 38
    500 - 28

    Chuck Norris has blessed our phones?

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions