Page 10 of 74 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314152060 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
    Perhaps someone could make a version of SR71 that defaults to about 15% more voltage than previous defaults. That way girly Pres may boot and then tweak down the volts as much as possible. Then we can decide if the temps are sustainable.

I don't care if it's dangerous and blah blah. This whole thing is dangerous so I wanna do it! I'll get another Pre if I break it.
    Sleepy time . much . good time
    Pre|central Peacekeepers

"Keeping the smart phone world at peace one PALM at a time"

Me and Dropbox, sitting in a tree. S-Y-N-C-I-N-G. http://db.tt/qetBsiR
    So far, have run my palm pre plus at 1ghz using F105 and a voltage of 56 for about a day, no issues. light-moderate user; typical apps include preware, newsroom, facebook, photos, played some video/youtube.

voltage of 54 at 1Ghz caused a reboot within 5 mins.

So far, testing 900mhz at v=52. Will see what happens.
    verizion Pre+ with sr-71 played critiral mass, news room, and read this forum. About 15 minutes of use, phone down to 95.

backlight at 9
    Keyboard 5

set top voltage to 81 an let the others alone.

Runs great.

Thanks.
    oh govnah reports 41 max temp at time.
    Quote Originally Posted by icedmocha View Post
    So far, have run my palm pre plus at 1ghz using F105 and a voltage of 56 for about a day, no issues. light-moderate user; typical apps include preware, newsroom, facebook, photos, played some video/youtube.

voltage of 54 at 1Ghz caused a reboot within 5 mins.

So far, testing 900mhz at v=52. Will see what happens.

900 mhz was not happy with voltage of 48
    OK, here is something that I have been having a problem with. I have been testing F105 and this has occurred with both a Sprint Pre and AT&T Pre Plus since -92.

Both phones will just power off.

I have the phones running at 500 (30)-1005 (60) recently but the power offs appeared while using the stock settings on prior builds 92 and 98.

This has only occurred while the phones are sleeping and all programs are swiped away. I can't seem to link it to any program.

Anyone else seeing this problem.
    Commodore Pet, Commodore 64&128, Amiga 4000, PC-7, Ubuntu, Treo 650. Treo 755p,Sprint Palm Pre Plus 2.2.4,2 Sprint Pre2 2.2.4, TouchPad 32gig.
    icedmocha,

I've been doing similar tests starting at default and dropping in increments of 2. I have found that on my Pre 56 is stable for 1005 and 50 is stable for 900 with 54 and 48 causing luna restarts in < 30 minutes. I have not done 800 or 700 yet.

500 is stable at 30, have not gone below that yet, but will probably try once all the upper numbers solidify.

To clarify what works on my Pre:

1005: 56 is stable
    900: 50 is stable
    800: TBDTBDTBD
    700: TBDTBDTBD
    500: 30 is stable
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob600 View Post
    icedmocha,

I've been doing similar tests starting at default and dropping in increments of 2. I have found that on my Pre 56 is stable for 1005 and 50 is stable for 900 with 54 and 48 causing luna restarts in < 30 minutes. I have not done 800 or 700 yet.

500 is stable at 30, have not gone below that yet, but will probably try once all the upper numbers solidify.

To clarify what works on my Pre:

1005: 56 is stable
    900: 50 is stable
    800: TBDTBDTBD
    700: TBDTBDTBD
    500: 30 is stable
    Looks like we're both taking similar approaches to testing the lower limit of acceptable voltages per frequency on the Pre! Nice to see we're coming up with very similar numbers. I have mine still set at 52 for 900Mhz, no crashes, so I'll try lowering to 50 soon.

Thanks for the tip on 500Mhz, I'll try near 30 first and report back.
    Seriously, I don't believe that SR71 can keep pre under 40C without being in a room with AC on.
    My pre hover above 40C sometimes even to 51C in a room without AC.
    If used in car, the pre just keeps rebooting b/c overheating by heavy use.
    After about an hour of heavy use (Maptool, GPS and Data on, Govnah for temp control, taking photos) my 105 Pre freezed ato 1005/60. The last seen temperature in Govnah was 44C (outdoor temp about 26C). Don't know if the temperature was even higher. till this point the Pre worked worked without a hickup. Now I raised the voltage parameter to 62.

Somebody knows if there is a log entry in var/log/messages? Searched for it but couldn't find anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanton View Post
    After about an hour of heavy use (Maptool, GPS and Data on, Govnah for temp control, taking photos) my 105 Pre freezed ato 1005/60. The last seen temperature in Govnah was 44C (outdoor temp about 26C). Don't know if the temperature was even higher. till this point the Pre worked worked without a hickup. Now I raised the voltage parameter to 62.

Somebody knows if there is a log entry in var/log/messages? Searched for it but couldn't find anything.
    When the hardware freezes due to not enough voltage, there will not usually be any indication in the logs.

-- Rod
    Thanks Rod.

And the temperature development till this point? Is that loged somewhere? Perhaps a verbose option somehwere?
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    You guys are quite brave pushing your voltages to the lowest limit!

I'm running 1005MHz at 64 (1.4V) and 500MHz at 40 (1.1V). I believe the core voltages are supposed to range from 0.8V - 1.35V which means that even at 1.4V, it's beyond the rated spec of the IC. But that's a small price to pay for the joys of overclocking.

Seeing the many posts of 60 or even 58, I feel that 64 provides a reasonable margin of operation with the trade-off of slightly more power consumption. For those of you able to run at 60, you are technically running the voltage within the rated spec. (although not frequency).

I do notice better battery life after tweaking the voltage settings. It's great that this option is available, as each processor will likely be different depending on the batch it came from and this allows individuals to play around with what works for them.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    You guys are quite brave pushing your voltages to the lowest limit!

I'm running 1005MHz at 64 (1.4V) and 500MHz at 40 (1.1V). I believe the core voltages are supposed to range from 0.8V - 1.35V which means that even at 1.4V, it's beyond the rated spec of the IC. But that's a small price to pay for the joys of overclocking.

Seeing the many posts of 60 or even 58, I feel that 64 provides a reasonable margin of operation with the trade-off of slightly more power consumption. For those of you able to run at 60, you are technically running the voltage within the rated spec. (although not frequency).

I do notice better battery life after tweaking the voltage settings. It's great that this option is available, as each processor will likely be different depending on the batch it came from and this allows individuals to play around with what works for them.
    what are the stock voltage numbers on SR71 -92?
    Last edited by delete2end; 08/08/2010 at 10:01 AM.
  17.    #197  
    Quote Originally Posted by 20csummer View Post
    Seriously, I don't believe that SR71 can keep pre under 40C without being in a room with AC on.
    My pre hover above 40C sometimes even to 51C in a room without AC.
    If used in car, the pre just keeps rebooting b/c overheating by heavy use.
    You have no idea what you are talking about. The temp limiter will never let it overheat. If it reboots that means not enough voltage.
    Live free or DIE!
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    I have been hearing a little about this here and there about this kernel and am wondering where it is? Its not available to me in preware. I am currently using uberkernel. Where do you go about getting thunder chief? i would like to try my pre at 1.05 ghz. Sounds awesome.
    it's in the testing feeds. Search the forum and you should have no trouble finding it!
    Quote Originally Posted by carnivalrejectq View Post
    I have been hearing a little about this here and there about this kernel and am wondering where it is? Its not available to me in preware. I am currently using uberkernel. Where do you go about getting thunder chief? i would like to try my pre at 1.05 ghz. Sounds awesome.
    Go here and carefully read the first post. Also, use the thread and the wiki to answer any further questions you have that are related to alpha testing of the kernel.
    And, btw, the testing version of uberkernel now supports 1ghz

Pip