Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly_addams View Post
    Having trouble with some of the other kernels. The new F105 wasn't working properly, so I tried warthog, and it didnt seem to run well (never has) on my Sprint Pre.

So I tried the SR71 Blackbird with the intention of staying at 1ghz. Now the phone won't boot. Static white palm logo, then before it starts glowing the screen flashes briefly and the static logo remains indefinitely. I am at work so I can't doctor it. I will leave it for a bit and see if it eventually boots.

Any restore methods that don't involve the doctor?
    Try plugging it in to a wall charger while it is off and turn it back on...may take a few minutes but should boot up running at 500 then you can do what ever you need to do, such as a new kernel...this works most of the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly_addams View Post
    Is a USB charger sufficient? Because that doesn't appear to be working and I don't have the wall adapter with me.
    It has worked for me hooking it up to my car charger. That clocks it doen to 500 also. USB does not scale it back.
    Quote Originally Posted by graffix31 View Post
    Am i wrong or wasnt this Kernel hard coded to 500/1200? People saying they brought it down to 1ghz i think are not doing anything except changing govna when in actuality it is still at 1.2. I think. I know with other hard coded kernels this was part of the frustration. People keep saying they were testing it at say 125 or 250 when the kernel was hard coded to 500.
    The bottom end is hard coded at 500. It can be set for 1.0 or 1005 through Govnah and it does change to that speed. I have verified that on my phone.
    I don't get it, I had this installed before I doctored my Pre and everything worked fine.
    I went to install it after it asked for reboot, rebooted.
    While rebooting the phone just turns off.
    I've tried plugging the wall charger in and it did the same thing.
    Keeps turning off the phone whatever I do.
    If the only one who knows the truth about a terrible secret is unaware they hold the answer to a mystery that could mean life or death.
    The search for the key leads to the most dangerous place in the world, the human mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Demlor View Post
    I don't get it, I had this installed before I doctored my Pre and everything worked fine.
    I went to install it after it asked for reboot, rebooted.
    While rebooting the phone just turns off.
    I've tried plugging the wall charger in and it did the same thing.
    Keeps turning off the phone whatever I do.
    Did you try the pulling the battery for a few then booting? I know it sounds placebo-ish but you never know.
    Live free or DIE!
    @unix glad to see you back!
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpsycho View Post
    Did you try the pulling the battery for a few then booting? I know it sounds placebo-ish but you never know.
    At first I tried pulling the battery, didn't work.
    Today I pulled the battery while it was plugged in the computer when it was booting and right after but the battery back in and it loaded.
    First thing I did was uninstall it, and now everything is fine.

Thing that scared me was that my phone's ringer button fell off and went missing so I couldn't put the phone into recovery mode.
    Of course once I ordered my replacement Pre I managed to restore my phone to normal.
    All is good, not gonna attempt to install this kernel until my new one comes.

Thank you Unixpsycho for all your hard work with overclocking.
    I know I can speak for the community when I say you are vital part of the WebOS growth, and you should be offered a flippin job with Palm.
    If the only one who knows the truth about a terrible secret is unaware they hold the answer to a mystery that could mean life or death.
    The search for the key leads to the most dangerous place in the world, the human mind.
    Had a Chuck Norris Pre and was running Blackbird with no issues since day 1. I lost my Pre this past week and I finally got around to getting a replacement today and installed SR71 only to find out I have a Weakling Pre. Tried getting it to boot by connecting it to the wall charger and that never worked. The doctor would not recognize it either. Finally webos doctor recognized the Pre after a few attempts. Oh well back to F105 or maybe even Uber since it seems that this Pre seems to be extra weak.

Thanks to all the members on Precentral that make my life easier by asking all of the difficult questions. It makes it so much easier when all I have to do is follow instructions from some of the great minds on here.
    Quote Originally Posted by eserrano250 View Post
    Tried getting it to boot by connecting it to the wall charger and that never worked. The doctor would not recognize it either. Finally webos doctor recognized the Pre after a few attempts.
    Next time if it does happen (knock on wood), you should plug your phone into the computer via USB, hold the volume up button and turn on the phone.
    It should go into recovery mode and allow your computer to recognize it for doctoring.

Or if you don't want to lose everything, you can try doing it the way I did my last post.
    Not saying it would work, but it's worth a shot.
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpsycho View Post
    holy fvk. Nice to see you back
    my phone cant handle 1.2ghz so when i first tried it, it was gettting stuck in an endless cycle.

what i did was stick it in the freezer to drop the temp and it would start up every time.

i'm not sure how good that is for the phone itself, but it was better than doctoring for me.

btw, it worked about 9 or 10 times as i was trying to get my phone to handle 1.2ghz
    Last edited by callmesaul8889; 08/01/2010 at 11:31 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Demlor View Post
    Next time if it does happen (knock on wood), you should plug your phone into the computer via USB, hold the volume up button and turn on the phone.
    It should go into recovery mode and allow your computer to recognize it for doctoring.

Or if you don't want to lose everything, you can try doing it the way I did my last post.
    Not saying it would work, but it's worth a shot.
    eventually that's exactly what I had to do.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12