Page 6 of 31 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchettjack View Post
    80 locks up my pre also, tried plugging it in to no avail, doctoring for second time this morning. im gettin good at it
    +1 for me as well
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    That is because of the other changes in that kernel, not the compcache modules themselves. Those other changes are still incorporated in SR71.

-- Rod
    Oh I see. Works like a charm but oddly, the 105 felt slightly snappier.
    Going back to see if I imagined it.

I installed NFS to take this baby for a test drive, but it crashes repeatedly on the first lap save (probably complétely unrelated).

Also, a Luna Restart from Preware takes considerably longer to start. It's just sits there spinning for a while first.

EDIT: stock kernel reinstall and no NFS crash on first lap. Installing 105 to see what happens.
    Last edited by tomi666; 07/18/2010 at 08:19 AM.
    This is absolutely amazing that you guys were able to push it this far. I think we are on par with iPhone or Android in terms of UI smoothness now!

Stupid question maybe, but when in the future HPalm decide to implement CSS and all sorts of other graphics acceleration features, will these overclocking kernels become moot, or just make it even more awesome?
    o SNAP! I'm not going to touch this here experimental Kernel, but cannot wait for some of its features - auto downclock while TS charging, auto downclock when hot - to make it to the "mass-market" UberKernel! Just why do you people rock so hard!?

By the way, is 1.2 GHz actually making a speed difference? Because I seem to remember having heard that bus bandwidth would become the bottleneck beyond a clock speed of 800 MHz - but I heard that a long time ago, around the .sh stage. Was that bit of info wrong?
    Sweet, testing it now!
    i must have a "weak" pre+ -- it has held strong with all other overclocking kernels -- i keep getting locked up when trying to run .80 -- i have had the phone running for a minute or 2 but then it will freeze -- opening preader (my speed comparison as you can really see it when it is loading) well opening it showed that this kernel is lightning fast but i am going to have to go back the the thunderchief for now as the only thing that will allow my phone to re-boot is to stick it on the TS after a battery pull

thanks for your work here and everywhere unix
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mespiff View Post
    i must have a "weak" pre+ -- it has held strong with all other overclocking kernels -- i keep getting locked up when trying to run .80 -- i have had the phone running for a minute or 2 but then it will freeze -- opening preader (my speed comparison as you can really see it when it is loading) well opening it showed that this kernel is lightning fast but i am going to have to go back the the thunderchief for now as the only thing that will allow my phone to re-boot is to stick it on the TS after a battery pull

thanks for your work here and everywhere unix
    Same experience I had, but with both the initial and .80 releases. I've used every overclocking option since the 800sh, even several Warthog releases, and I've never seen anything like this. It performed incredibly well, but I would get either a pixel-rainbow (it's pretty! I like it.) fade-out crash, or straight to Palm logo crash. I could never run it for over 5 minutes, regardless of Govnah settings. I also had to have different charging statuses to get out of reboot loops.

This was with installing the BB kernel from stock Palm kernel twice, with both original and .80 releases. It's a consistent problem throughout all Govnah settings I tried. I'll be trying the next release too, it hasn't scared me off. ;D
    I want to install this on my palm pre but I don't find the link (URL) to download the SR71 and the instructions to install it

Thank's in advance

Alain
    Goodness.. What could the next step possibly be? An X-15 kernal ?
    @unixpsycho; when you talk kernel with friends, what do you call the stock variety:
    the "Fokker DV VII"?
    I installed -78 this morning and like others has issues booting and by sticking in the wall charger it booted no problem. Originally I had it set at 500/1200 and I experienced a couple of times where I was doing something intensive like scrolling through the photos.app and the phone rebooted. Again, I needed to plug the charger in.

Anyway, I just updated to -80 and whilst I was waiting for Preware to do install the kernel, the phone just rebooted by itself, which I thought was weird. Once the phone rebooted, -80 appeared to have installed as it was in the list of installed packages and also the icon in my launcher said -80. However, Govnah no longer had the option to select anything other than the default kernel settings. So I loaded up Preware and attempted to remove SR71 and got this IPKG error:-

Failed
    -1: Unable to run command: IPKG_OFFLINE_ROOT=/media/cryptofs/apps /bin/sh /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/ipkg/info/org.webosinternals.kernels.psycho-sr71-kernel-pre.prerm 2>&1
    Kernel confirmed to be compatible with this webOS version
    Fatal error occurred, unable to locate tarball
    Any advice greatly appreciated
    (Update) Phone moves a lot smoother, some app don't even glows before popping up. No freezes whatsoever while playing any games, or opening application. I'm not using govnah at this time either.

So far so good. Are you bold enough to give it try! Ps. Need For Speed comes on pretty fast.. Wow!

Temperature remains between 35-40.
    Last edited by rush; 07/18/2010 at 09:02 AM.
    odd though I removed the F105 and installed the sr kernal, and have not had any issues. I installed it this morning with the updated 80. I have a sprint pre launch day one 06/09, and kept everything base with the kernal, meaning 125 min 1200 max, and have not had any crashes running games or freezes since I installed the kernal. Yet I understand the weak pre's and the strong ones, maybe everyone should try the kernal as it is first, then try and tweak the min mhz if your phone rejects it.
    Update to my previous post

Just installed the stock Palm recovery kernel, which installed successfully. Phone now rebooting....

edit: Rebooted, no change. SR71 is in installed package list and gives previous IPKG error when I try to remove. I'm on 1.4.5 btw
    Last edited by MechanicalMind; 07/18/2010 at 08:57 AM. Reason: more details
    Quote Originally Posted by MechanicalMind View Post
    Update to my previous post

Just installed the stock Palm recovery kernel, which installed successfully. Phone now rebooting....

edit: Rebooted, no change. SR71 is in installed package list and gives previous IPKG error when I try to remove. I'm on 1.4.5 btw

do you have govanh if so does the speed say 600mhz or 1200mhz. You can also try ripping it from your phone using quickinstall, under installed programs, and hitting remove it will ususal still say it was a error doing so but it will ultimatly rip the file off of there.
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    my Pre got busted. since installing the kernel, the Pre won't boot at all. stuck at Palm logo, no glow, no nothing. and this is with -80. i guess i'll be back, and stay at 1 GHz. i'll try to use the uImage to boot the phone and remove the kernel.
    Quote Originally Posted by MechanicalMind View Post
    Update to [url= previous post[/url]

Wait for rwhitby, it is a known issue. The recovery kernel has not be rewritten to deal with it yet.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    able to successfully recreate a fade crash when using vba resulting in a reboot loop sequence.
    once battery is removed/reinserted, phone boots as normal.

interestingly enough, the fade crash/reboot loop issue causes my launcher pages to revert to stock configuration with downloaded apps all going back to the first page as if they are freshly installed.

pdk games also have a habit of crashing on me without fail.

otherwise, I've run into no other issues.
    to be fair, I've only meaningfully tested music streaming, usb charging and browsing, along with the above.

edit: refurbished sprint palm pre with 1.4.1.1
    Last edited by rayln; 07/18/2010 at 11:03 AM.
    Well for a min there I was thinking my phone was bricked. Had to use wall charger to get phone to boot after battery pull. TS and USB would not get the phone to boot. After booting with the -80 sr71 no matter what settings I used the phone would crash to the palm logo and require a battery pull and wall charger to reboot. At one point I got scared as all my installed apps including homebrew were lost. After an additional reboot was able to get my apps back. Gonna go back to the 1GHz OC and wait for the next update to come out. Such is the life of an alpha tester.

EDIT: also while waiting for the next update to the SR71 to come out I get to spend time reorganizing my 150+ apps as they are now all on my first of 10 pages
    Last edited by darkproteus66; 07/18/2010 at 10:06 AM. Reason: why not
    check my webos facebook group http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=129304747081175

help me reach my goal to be the first non celebrity on twitter with 1 million followers http://www.twitter.com/darkproteus66

LONG LIVE HOMEBREW!!!
    Mine still crashed on -80 . Going back to F105 for now. Looking forward to this one though.