Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2025262728293031 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    This is a bit embarrassing. I thought I tried this before but I guess I didn't

Without uninstalling SR71-78, I just went into Preware and installed Palm kernel and it successfully replaced SR71
    Well yesterday I dropped my phone into the lake, I went home filled out my insurance claim and got my phone this morning. The first thing i did was to check out if the hardware could support SR71, and yes it can. I was mad at losing my phone for over 24 hours but knowing it can run at 1.2 GHz makes up for it
    Guess my Pre (Verizon PrePlus bought in April) is already tired from my previous overclocking... SR71 won't run on it at all. I'm a bit surprised since it's never had a problem running any speed/OPP in any of the kernels I've tried so far (even runs 125, 250 and up to 1GHz at any voltage in any "F" series kernel no prob). Unfortunately 1.2GHz appears to be too much, as soon as it switches up to this speed I get errors and a reboot. Booting on the wall charger didn't help either.

Note to anyone who hasn't figured this out: learn how to start your Pre in "bootie" mode and send a stock kernel image to your phone from your PC (via USB) before testing any Alpha kernel. It'll save you from doctoring. I do this and as others have stated, if your phone can't handle some new kernel you loaded (this was the 1st for me) you can just reboot your Pre from a kernel image on your PC. Then your phone works as normal, and you can unload the phone's kernel via Preware (which puts the kernel back to stock). Once done, you reboot & have a working stock kernel phone without Doctoring & everything else is just as it was without having to restore any patches/apps. Basic/abbreviated steps to this are:

1) Setup your PC (install both Palm SDK & separate Novaterm)
    2) Make or get a uImage for your phone (like the one unix posted earlier)
    3) Enter bootie mode on phone (phone off, press volume up, plug into usb, insert battery if removed when the ? mark appears, then release vol up when usb icon appears)
    4) Open command prompt & issue the novaterm command, with full path to the uImage file you want to load (i.e.: "novacom boot mem:// < uImage-2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430"). Full path info to uImage can be omitted (as in above example) if launching the command window in the same dir where all the files are.

Oh yeah, and don't forget to test that you know how to do this BEFORE you bork your phone!
    Last edited by 4wheels; 07/22/2010 at 04:22 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulB007 View Post
    How many of you have had problems running 3D games on the kernel? NOVA constantly crashes everytime I try to play it. I don't know if this is something that happens to everyone or if I have one of the "weak" Pres.
    I had Luna restarts when I played NOVA before, but now on -84 things seem to be more stable
    Quote Originally Posted by vandassen View Post
    Hi Rod & Marco,

I'm having a problem uninstalling SR71-78. I installed via webOSQuickInstall after downloading from /feeds/

Everything's been running fine, I just want to drop back down to F105 and stick to 1GHz.

When I go to Device Management in WebOSQI and checkmark the kernel and hit uninstall, I get a box popping up that endlessly repeats "FREMOVFREMOVFREMOVFREMOVFREMOVFREMOVFREMOVFREMOV" etc.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks
    Chris

EDIT: I just scrolled to the beginning of the error message and found this:
    ERROR: An error occurred while attempting to run /tmp/ipkgScript.sh

/media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/ipkg/info/org.webosinternals.kernels.psycho-sr71-kernel-pre.prerm: line 4: FORCE_REMOVFREMOVFREMOVF.....REMOVF: File name too long
    You should use Preware to install kernels from the kernel testing feeds.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    You should use Preware to install kernels from the kernel testing feeds.

-- Rod
    I installed this one with webOSQuickInstall because I wanted to try an old release -78 which I DL'd from /feeds/. Is there another way to go about this?
    Thx
    I installed this one with webOSQuickInstall because I wanted to try an old release -78 which I DL'd from /feeds/. Is there another way to go about this?
    Thx
    Uninstall your current kernel using Preware, and then use Preware 1.2.3 or later to install the ipk file from ipkg.preware.org

-- Rod
    Worked like a charm for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by mysterfix View Post
    Worked like a charm for me.
    My initial problem was neither webOSQI OR Preware would successfully remove it, both gave me that same error. Doing an install of Palm Kernel took care of it.

I did figure out how to install the ipk file though, thanks
    My initial problem was neither webOSQI OR Preware would successfully remove it, both gave me that same error. Doing an install of Palm Kernel took care of it.

I did figure out how to install the ipk file though, thanks
    Your choice of installer affects your ability to uninstall correctly.

-- Rod
    Your choice of installer affects your ability to uninstall correctly.

-- Rod
    I gotcha. I overlooked the fact that I can install ipk files via preware. Now I know better, thanks again!
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    ok, so i installed this kernel, and i cant doctor, reboot or anything. my phone is literally not responding to anything. is it time to get a new phone. or a different phone?. i dont kno what else to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by poozo View Post
    ok, so i installed this kernel, and i cant doctor, reboot or anything. my phone is literally not responding to anything. is it time to get a new phone. or a different phone?. i dont kno what else to do.
    Read this: How To Recover - WebOS Internals

The very last line: "Short of hardware damage, it should not be possible to "brick" a Pre."
    wow. this totaly sounds deadly. but fery tempting
    Is this kernel not gonna be available on your web channel unixpsycho?

If not I'll re-add the kernel feed.
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
    Quote Originally Posted by demetry14 View Post
    Is this kernel not gonna be available on your web channel unixpsycho?

If not I'll re-add the kernel feed.
    i couldnt find it on his website. just add the testing feed in preware.
    Two questions...
    1- now that you have the overheating scaleback built in, any thought to unleashing it while on car charger??
    2- Any consideration given to possibly letting it be set to 1105, or so? for those of us that are close on the 1205, but with still random restarts.

I love the speed of the 1205, most things are almost instantaneous...currently running the -84. Seems to be very stable at 1005.
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by poozo View Post
    Pull the battery. That fixed a phone freeze for me. thorne
    Quote Originally Posted by thornev View Post
    Pull the battery. That fixed a phone freeze for me. thorne

After a CLEAN shutdown, of course.

M.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garage91 View Post
    i couldnt find it on his website. just add the testing feed in preware.
    Yeah i ended up doing the same... I think he only puts the kernels up when they are beta and if i am mistaken SR71 is alpha.
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
    You might actually have to do some reading to get the kernel, not posting. You can start at page 1.

M.