Page 23 of 31 FirstFirst ... 131819202122232425262728 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by txlee View Post
    I am a newbie of Pre, and get a questions about the software that you mention, "1.2 ghz Kernal", pls adv what a software it is, is it making the phone running faster or .......

Thx in adv.
    Read the first post:

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...rd-kernel.html
    On the topic of voltage, I have a question - I don't fully understand these kernels so maybe I'll be surprised by the answer.

If I run SR71 @ 1005, is it running at the same voltage as if I was running at 1200? (ie. is the voltage tied to the kernel or tied to the speed?)

My reason for asking is SR71 is working great on my Pre, but I prefer to run at 1005 most of the time, up to 1200 for stuff like Asphalt5 (loading is SO fast). If voltage is tied to speed, this will save me some life while making the switch very convenient when needed

Many thanks.

PS. One other interesting note - yesterday Asphalt5 ran, but was choppy every couple seconds (-81). Today with -82 it runs silky smooth. Incredible work, thanks!!

(Also posted this in http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...30#post2564830)

EDIT: is it wiser to just run Thunderchief? In terms of battery, voltage, stability, etc. I ask because SR71-82 seems really strong so I'm having a hard time doubting it's stability...
    Last edited by vandassen; 07/20/2010 at 10:03 AM.
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    tested it for a couple of days. like i said before it would not initially start up without plugging it into the wall charger. only time i had problems with it restarting was when running sunspider test and once when i tried to bring up preware. after the initial start up when it crashes it restarts without having to be plugged up to the wall charger.

thats it for now, im gonna go back to testing F105 until SR71 updates again then ill come try again
    Been running SR71 for over a day now and everything is good. No reboots or hangs. I can definitely tell the difference between 1ghz and 1.2ghz from a performance and battery consumption perspective.
    yeah still having issues back to F105 and can't wait for my new phone I will be on here tearing ish up hopefully
    check my webos facebook group http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=129304747081175

help me reach my goal to be the first non celebrity on twitter with 1 million followers http://www.twitter.com/darkproteus66

LONG LIVE HOMEBREW!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by BrewCity View Post
    Working on my Pre. 24 hours no problem. Trying it now on my youngest daughters Pre.
    how is your battery life?
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    This kernel is definitely screaming fast at 1.2 Ghz. However, it consumes the battery a lot faster too. Obviously if the phone is running faster then it is going to consume more battery, so no complaints here. Although, I went back to F105. This has a good ratio of performance to battery consumption for me.
    Is there any way to test if i have a weak pre or a chuck norris pre before installing sr71?
    Quote Originally Posted by keltik33 View Post
    Is there any way to test if i have a weak pre or a chuck norris pre before installing sr71?
    Hit it with a sledgehammer not once but twice. If it still works you have a Chuck Norris pre :-) JK, no there isn't a way to tell AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mannyman View Post
    If you use save/rstore from Preware you can get all ur icons back where you had them with a couple taps.
    Save/restore did not work for me...Still sitting on 3 launcher pages with the majority on 1 page...Happens with every reboot after adding pages...un-installed the launcher patches and re installed them, still same issue...I am not saying it has anything to do with these kernels, but it is a big coincidence to me...since that is the only thing I have been playing with lately.
    Quote Originally Posted by brennan7 View Post
    Chuck Norris doesn't have a pre, some lucky pre has a chuck norris
    LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by keltik33 View Post
    I personally don't like the term "weak". These devices are far from "weak". Some are just a bit stronger than others. I've been thinking of them as "Daniel LaRusso" Pre's.

The Karate Kid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

M.
    Quote Originally Posted by dballew View Post
    Save/restore did not work for me...Still sitting on 3 launcher pages with the majority on 1 page...Happens with every reboot after adding pages...un-installed the launcher patches and re installed them, still same issue...I am not saying it has anything to do with these kernels, but it is a big coincidence to me...since that is the only thing I have been playing with lately.

From what I can tell this is an issue with the kernel itself b/c i was having the same issue after installing the kernel. what version of save restore are you running and what add/remove patch are you running?
    check my webos facebook group http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=129304747081175

help me reach my goal to be the first non celebrity on twitter with 1 million followers http://www.twitter.com/darkproteus66

LONG LIVE HOMEBREW!!!
    i have to say THANK YOU to Unixphyco for pushing the limits of our Pres. I believe it is people like you that HPalm should have on their team to really put out to the world what WebOs is all about. Just look at the performace that WebOs has when overclocked (at least with the OC Kernels that are stable now, i know SR71 Blackbird is still on the testing phase and with many updates already! but still crashing here and there).

i would also like to thank you because it is developers like you that make me want to stick to WebOs, at least you have saved a customer from fleeing Palm into another device. i am sure a lot of you know what it feels like to "show off" all the different tweaks we are able to do to our phones to other users. For example, i am always showing off to my brother since he owns a HTC and can't find the tweaks we have for our Pres. i am sure HTC has tweaks and all, but not as accessible as ours, at least that what he tells me. and that's not even close how much fun i make of my wife with her BB 8350i.

last but not least, keep up the good work, and i hope someday we can findout that HPalm has people like you in their internal team.
    Save/restore ver 0.9.12 latested one just updated today. The patch is the add/remove pages patch in preware. Have been using it for months without problems...also running hide bottom bar in launcher and wrap pages. Have tried removing both of those last two, problem still exists. Error I get when trying a restore to launcher from save/restore: "user-dock-positions.json caution: filename not matched:launchpoints/*" It then list all the .png files and .png thumbnail-. Of course I can go in and add pages back, move things around and all is good until any kind of restart...frustrating...
    Quote Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
    Hit it with a sledgehammer not once but twice. If it still works you have a Chuck Norris pre :-) JK, no there isn't a way to tell AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK.
    That was so funny, but an effective answer.
    quick question i remember caj or someone saying, that thee is no point to overclocking above 800mhz because of the memory. something about the memory being the bottleneck so anything above 800mhz cant really be used.

Is this true?
    Quote Originally Posted by gselsidi View Post
    quick question i remember caj or someone saying, that thee is no point to overclocking above 800mhz because of the memory. something about the memory being the bottleneck so anything above 800mhz cant really be used.

Is this true?
    Not at all. I can see and test a difference between 800mhz and 1ghz or 1.2ghz

LONG LIVE HOMEBREW!!!
  19.    #459  
    Quote Originally Posted by gselsidi View Post

Is this true?
    There is a limit. Each increase in clock speed you will notice not as much improvement.

Remember, the memory bandwidth and such are still the same. Only thing we are doing is upsetting the L2 cache.
    Live free or DIE!
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    Not sure if this will help anyone, but I figure I'd mention it. A couple kernel variants ago, either rwhitby or unixpsycho suggested that after any kernel change, rather than just restarting, you should shut down, pull the battery and then start back up. They cited that a restart isn't quite a restart. I'm sure they could explain it more eloquently. Anyhow, I have an occasional lockup with SR71 (normally within minutes of using the camera app, but I have no scientific proof yet) which I can live with. My upgrade steps (coming from F105) were:

1. Remove F105
    2. Shut down and battery pull
    3. Install SR-71
    4. Shut down and battery pull
    5. For every SR-71 version update, I just do an upgrade, but still shut down and battery pull after it

I'm wondering if anyone who was having issues tried upgrading the kernel this way, if they'd be in my boat, where the phone probably shouldn't have this kernel on it, but it handles it decently for the most part, hence the Van Damme Pre. I feel like the Karate Kid is just a little beneath this phone, but that's just my own opinion