Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    I uninstalled F105, rebooted, pulled the battery just to make sure and tried to install the SR71 kernel. The Pre has been trying to reboot for the last 7 minutes. I'll give it another 3 minutes and pull the battery to see if that'll help.

If not, I guess I have a visit with the Dr.
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    Just installed this kernel and I am loving the speed! I haven't had any of the mentioned reboot loops.
    unixpsycho I had set the max at 1205 and the min at 500 and was saving that profile. How does one find a uImage and boot mem to the phone? The Pre had installed the kernel and did the phone restart I was just checking out settings in Govnah.
    Guys I think the solution right now to get out of the boot loop is to put it on a charger. I put it on my touchstone and it started up. I'm assuming that's because it reverted back to 500mhz when charging, so it's "stable"
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    Note that this post only applies to version -78 of SR71 and does not apply to the now current -80 version or later versions.

Through some experimentation on a "weak" device that I use for testing the limits of what is acceptable for UberKernel inclusion, we have determined that some devices just don't like OPP1 and OPP2, and will hang if they enter those states.

Now, OPP1 and OPP2 are usually 125MHz and 250MHz respectively on stock and Uber and previous Psycho kernels.

However, with SR71 version -78, OPP1 is 250MHz and OPP2 is 500MHz. (Note that this has been changed back at version -80, so this post does not apply to version -80 or later).

This "weak" device I have (when running any previous kernel) will 100% repeatably hang at 125MHz or 250MHz but will be fine at 500MHz. Running SR71, it now 100% repeatably hangs at 250MHz and 500MHz, but is fine at 700MHz. Note that in all cases, it is failing at OPP1 and OPP2, but fine at OPP3.

So if you have a weak device, you'll need to select Screenstate 700/1205 and save and apply that profile before your screen turns off for the first time

Note that if you have such a device, and it gets too hot (over 55) then the new temperature limiter will set it to 500MHz and cause it to hang. So you'll need to let it cool down before rebooting.

Also, if you have such a device, it will be set to 500MHz on Touchstone and wall charger, and will hang. Boot it with the USB disconnected.

Also not that this "weak" device has ES3.1 revision OMAP3430 silicon just like any other Pre, so it is unrelated to silicon version. There is no discernible pattern to which devices are "weaklings" and which are Chuck Norris devices.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 07/18/2010 at 07:42 AM.
    So is there any particular reason it has to be over 500mhz?

And is weak device referring to the non+?
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    Rod so if we didn't do that before and we are stuck in the reboot loop where can we find the uImage and mem boot unixpyscho referenced?
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    Rod so if we didn't do that before and we are stuck in the reboot loop where can we find the uImage and mem boot unixpyscho referenced?
    Did you try what I said about charging it? If I left it off the charger it kept rebooting, but when I put it on my touchstone it turned on.
    Have a verizon pre plus, uninstalled f105, and its running like a champ. the speed boost is noticeable. So far no problems, but lets see where this battery life is like. I would get about 10hours of very minimum daily use off my pre, but with high usage i would get half that.

I am very excited about this. Thanks for the kernal.
    So then after installation, the Palm logo has not moved for over 15 minutes I should Dr? The Palm logo is not glowing but rather just sitting there.

Thank you for your assistance.
    i just plugged up to the usb I will see if that works if not I will try the touchstone. Reading rod's post though it says 500mhz will lock it up.
    i just plugged up to the usb I will see if that works if not I will try the touchstone. Reading rod's post though it says 500mhz will lock it up.
    unixpsycho's original post said the USB will leave it at 1205. I would try touchstone.

It's strange how the default settings will lock it up. I really don't want to have to leave it at 700 mhz when screen's off, because I feel that's just wasting unneeded power. I'm not saying Rod's wrong in any way, I just don't want the power when I don't need it.

Rod, is there any particular reason that 500mhz and less making it freeze up?
  13.    #33  
    unixpsycho I had set the max at 1205 and the min at 500 and was saving that profile. How does one find a uImage and boot mem to the phone? The Pre had installed the kernel and did the phone restart I was just checking out settings in Govnah.
    grab http://unixpsycho.com/uImage-2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430

run /opt/Palm/novacom/novacom boot mem:// < uImage-2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430

when powering on the phone hold the up volume key like you were going to do a doctor... run that command.
    Live free or DIE!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakeeeee View Post
    So is there any particular reason it has to be over 500mhz?
    Cause it needs to be OPP3, not OPP1 or OPP2. OPP3 is 700MHz in SR71.

And is weak device referring to the non+?
    No, there is no way of determining which devices are "weak" and which are not. And it's got nothing to do with the OMAP version either, cause I checked and this device has an ES3.1 version of the silicon, same as all other Pre and PrePlus phones.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Cause it needs to be OPP3, not OPP1 or OPP2. OPP3 is 700MHz in SR71.

No, there is no way of determining which devices are "weak" and which are not. And it's got nothing to do with the OMAP version either, cause I checked and this device has an ES3.1 version of the silicon, same as all other Pre and PrePlus phones.

-- Rod
    So a weak device is just any device that may not be as strong. because every phone is different?

Sorry I'm just trying to understand all this terminology haha.
    Quote Originally Posted by comiken205 View Post
    So then after installation, the Palm logo has not moved for over 15 minutes I should Dr? The Palm logo is not glowing but rather just sitting there.

Thank you for your assistance.
    Update, I pulled the battery, inserted the battery then I plugged it into the wall charger. The Pre started rebooting within one minute and it is up and running. Like Rod has said, the Weak Sprint Pre does not like 250Mhz. I followed advice by another user and plugged it in so it runs at 500Mhz and it worked.

I have gone into Govnah and set it at 500Mhz/1200Mhz. I'll update as times flies.

Thank you.

Lou
    ...Just when I was considering going from F104 to F105.....
    I got it to start up by plugging it into the wall charger I even saved it at the 700/1205 speed Rod suggested and it still locks up. I guess I have a real weak Pre and it just doesn't like the 1205 speed. Are there any other tests I can perform to see if it can run it?

For some reason getting it down to 500mhz does the trick to get it booted up. Any suggestions besides uninstalling?
    Quote Originally Posted by comiken205 View Post
    Update, I pulled the battery, inserted the battery then I plugged it into the wall charger. The Pre started rebooting within one minute and it is up and running. Like Rod has said, the Weak Sprint Pre does not like 250Mhz. I followed advice by another user and plugged it in so it runs at 500Mhz and it worked.

I have gone into Govnah and set it at 500Mhz/1200Mhz. I'll update as times flies.

Thank you.

Lou
    I'm in the process of Doctoring the Pre. I couldn't even get WOSQI to install the command given. I'll start fresh and give it a go. That is the life of an alpha tester I recon.
  20.    #40  
    I got it to start up by plugging it into the wall charger I even saved it at the 700/1205 speed Rod suggested and it still locks up. I guess I have a real weak Pre and it just doesn't like the 1205 speed. Are there any other tests I can perform to see if it can run it?

For some reason getting it down to 500mhz does the trick to get it booted up. Any suggestions besides uninstalling?
    It maybe voltage for your Pre... stay tuned. Or just run at 1005 if you dont want to uninstall.
    Live free or DIE!
Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast