Page 18 of 31 FirstFirst ... 8131415161718192021222328 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tigrao View Post
    So, unixpsycho, when are you releasing a 1.5 Ghz kernel for the Chuck Norris phones?
    I hate you.

Any chance of us weaklings getting a 1199MHz kernel?
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpsycho View Post
    Get a few more people to agree with that feature and i'll add it in.
    So will you add it in now? :-)
    But maybe don't add it in if you think it adds too much overhead.
  3.    #343  
    Quote Originally Posted by stir fry a lot View Post
    I hate you.

Any chance of us weaklings getting a 1199MHz kernel?
    actually its already running at like 1196 due to rounding off functions from the multiplier.
    Live free or DIE!
  4.    #344  
    Quote Originally Posted by rogerkang View Post
    So will you add it in now? :-)
    But maybe don't add it in if you think it adds too much overhead.
    Live free or DIE!
    Just decided to try this on my Bell 1.4.5 phone.
    Installed fine after installing the recovery kernel but phone just got stock on PALM logo during the reboot. I let it sit there for 10 minutes but the Logo wasn't flashing as it normally does during a restart so I figured it was frozen and not working.

Doctoring back to 1.4.5 now.
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    I guess I have a Chuck Norris launch day Pre.

That has gone through every over clocking patch generation (600, 800.sh, Super PreKernel, etc, etc.). He's a weathered veteran of over clocking.

I tried 1.2Ghz and it worked flawlessly, but then I realized I had no reason to be at 1200mhz unless I want to show it off, so it's back to Thunderchief.

Thanks unixpsycho (and all of WebOS Internals, of course), I had installed the Stock Kernel the other day before switching back to Thunderchief, and by god, I can't imagine using this device at 500mhz.
    Old Kyocera Phone (pay as you go) > Motorola RAZR > Palm Centro > Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by rogerkang View Post
    I've tested the throttle back to 500mhz when the temp gets to 55 degrees. It works well. Once my Pre hit 56 degrees, the speed went down to 500mhz. But then went back to 1205 once it went below 55 degrees.

I think to prevent this constant toggling, maybe it would be better if it didn't go back up to 1205 until the temp decreased to 50 degrees? Is that possible, unixpsycho/rod?
    I haven't had any throttling yet as my temps have stayed below 40 all day, but I agree that it would be nice to throttle back until reaches 50 (or even 45?) before oc takes effect again.

My Pre is definitely looking like it's able to handle this kernel (Chuck FTW!). No reboots, no docs, no issues. Can run tons of apps and it stays fast and responsive. I avoid torturing my Pre because that's not how I use it day-to-day or ever so the results wouldn't matter to me. It slowed down when I opened a Asphalt5 with numerous aps open (~10) but pushed through. Battery life is going faster than usual but I'm playing around quite a bit more than usual so....

anyways, +1 for throttle back to 50C

EDIT: I bought mine this year, second hand (but close to brand new). I think it was bought from the store this summer. Bell Pre 1.4.5-81 SR71
    Still running -78 doing well i have a chuck norris pre obv, doing a video now any request on what apps to load.
    Quote Originally Posted by xadjustx View Post
    Still running -78 doing well i have a chuck norris pre obv, doing a video now any request on what apps to load.
    engadget, twitter, camera, govnah, preware please Perhaps a 3D game or 2

*Every Chuck owner should get these apps - "chuck" & "Chuck Knows Best" Lol
    Forgive me if this question belongs somewhere else (or nowhere for that matter)

Is it safe to say my pre *should* keep running well on this (-81) release? I feel pretty safe considering my (so far) great results.

ie. if an update comes out and I opt-out, this release will keep running the way it has been?

I guess my question is, will anything change in THIS release without me accepting an update? (got nervous when I read "guaranteed to fail", as I plan to keep running this to see how long it will go.)

Ultimately, I know if I don't want *any* risk, don't run alpha kernels. Just looking for some comfort, if there is any
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Actually, a device that works with -81 is not necessarily a Chuck Norris device, cause we changed the OPP points between -78 and -81 to support some percentage of weakling devices too.

-- Rod
    thanks for the clarification rod..

I wonder why people are still haveing the boot problem with the latest too..

(i never tested sr71-78, 81 was available already when I had the time to test..)
    Quote Originally Posted by vandassen View Post
    Forgive me if this question belongs somewhere else (or nowhere for that matter)

Is it safe to say my pre *should* keep running well on this (-81) release? I feel pretty safe considering my (so far) great results.

ie. if an update comes out and I opt-out, this release will keep running the way it has been?

I guess my question is, will anything change in THIS release without me accepting an update? (got nervous when I read "guaranteed to fail", as I plan to keep running this to see how long it will go.)

Ultimately, I know if I don't want *any* risk, don't run alpha kernels. Just looking for some comfort, if there is any
    You can do that but you are not helping the devs in alpha testing so all I would say is don't expect much help back.

The point of these alpha kernels is to test their features for stability. That takes lots of iterations and lots of people willing to test.

And if you want comfort then your not going to get it here, re-read the warning on the first post.
    I have both the Pre and the Pixi and they are both the best! I just wish the Pixi could get some unix love
    *Patchers STILL make this phone Perfect!
    Palm Devices Currently Owned: Pre, Pre Plus, Pre 2, Pre 3, Pixi, Veer, Touchpads, and too many touchstones!
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    You can do that but you are not helping the devs in alpha testing so all I would say is don't expect much help back.

The point of these alpha kernels is to test their features for stability. That takes lots of iterations and lots of people willing to test.

And if you want comfort then your not going to get it here, re-read the warning on the first post.
    Translation - There's no such thing as comfort in alpha testing... Gotcha

Sorry if you think my contribution is insignificant, I thought I would try to add to the conversation with my results/temps, etc. using this kernel ("lots of people willing to test" is also a contribution, is it not?)

How can I better contribute? I'm new and need to learn as I go here.

Can anyone answer my question? I'm asking for info on changes to the -81 release, as I do not fully understand (if -81 will change, or if any change will occur by way of a new release)

Thanks for help and info on this
    First visit to the doctor!

I feel like the rat that gets zapped trying to get the piece of cheese.

Awesome work though.
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    Hello,

Just to report I installed the new Kernel onto my Palm Pre Plus. Upon restart the phone froze and only displayed the static Palm logo. I pulled the battery and plugged it into the wall charger. It asked for the battery, I installed battery and the phone proceeded to boot up.

The first boot resulted in a system lock up as soon as I unplugged it. I then pulled the battery again and restarted the phone as I had before. This time I went into the Govnah and set the Min freq to 500 (from 125) and max to 1200. The phone froze again. On the third battery pull restart I went into Govnah and clocked her down to 1005. Its been running smoothly ever since.

Also while I understand this is the same freq I was running with the F105. Somehow the phone responses and transitions seem a bit "smoother". This is quite possible in my head but I figured Id pass on the observation anyway.

P.S.

Despite this not working on my phone Id like to thank Unixpsycho. So thanks! Your continued support of our community is greatly appreciated.
    Translation - There's no such thing as comfort in alpha testing... Gotcha

Sorry if you think my contribution is insignificant, I thought I would try to add to the conversation with my results/temps, etc. using this kernel ("lots of people willing to test" is also a contribution, is it not?)

How can I better contribute? I'm new and need to learn as I go here.

Can anyone answer my question? I'm asking for info on changes to the -81 release, as I do not fully understand (if -81 will change, or if any change will occur by way of a new release)

Thanks for help and info on this
    From what I can tell if you are running the -79 or -80 release with no issue you should be fine with the -81 release
    check my webos facebook group http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=129304747081175

help me reach my goal to be the first non celebrity on twitter with 1 million followers http://www.twitter.com/darkproteus66

LONG LIVE HOMEBREW!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by darkproteus66 View Post
    From what I can tell if you are running the -79 or -80 release with no issue you should be fine with the -81 release
    I'm running -81 now. It was the kernel available when I first downloaded. I never ran the other releases.

To clarify, will anything in -81 change? or will all new adjustments come in a new release, leaving -81 as it is currently?

Thanks again
    I had previously tried to re-install F105 after I had Webos Doctored my phone to Bell 1.4.5. to no avail, however upon suggestion I installed the Palm Kernel, and tried SR71|1.4.5-81 instead. It has been installed for a few hours now, no boot loop, etc.

Sunspider came in at a nice 9527ms

So far 3d games are playing nice.
    Camera loads in a few second, nice!

Thanks unixpsycho and rwhitby, will keep you posted on my battery status, etc
    I'm running -81 now. It was the kernel available when I first downloaded. I never ran the other releases.

To clarify, will anything in -81 change? or will all new adjustments come in a new release, leaving -81 as it is currently?

Thanks again
    If anything in-81 changes, it will no longer be -81. The next version will be -82 or -666 or whatever and will have changes to it. Some changes might be taking features OUT of the -81 version, or adding more features, or optimizing certain things. But once the next version is out, you will no longer be able to download -81.