Page 17 of 31 FirstFirst ... 7121314151617181920212227 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpsycho View Post
    This is getting out of hand.

Some users here just outright refuse to go back and read the thread on how to recover without doctoring the phone! There are at least 2-3 different methods! I know of 1 user that booted a recovery kernel and saved themselves from having to doctor!

And for those that keep saying the Doctor isnt recognizing the phone... you have other problems and this kernel isnt one of them.
    It is getting a little ugly but has calmed down since yesterday.

Maybe you should ask that everybody refuse to answer questions if the answer is already in the thread

I can't believe that people would wait until after testing a cutting edge alpha kernel to test whether they can doctor or not

Quote Originally Posted by unixpsycho
    The next kernel version will be -666
    Remind me not to try it, haha
    The next kernel version will be -666
    The most demonically fast kernel ever, it will be guaranteed to make your phone burst into flames from the pits of hell
    check my webos facebook group http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=129304747081175

help me reach my goal to be the first non celebrity on twitter with 1 million followers http://www.twitter.com/darkproteus66

LONG LIVE HOMEBREW!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    It is getting a little ugly but has calmed down since yesterday.

Maybe you should ask that everybody refuse to answer questions if the answer is already in the thread

I can't believe that people would wait until after testing a cutting edge alpha kernel to test whether they can doctor or not
    to be fair I have to sometimes fight with my computer to get it to doctor my phone. Seems to only happen with my win7 64 bit systems though. Ubuntu 64 has never worked and Ubuntu 32 and win7/vista 32 have always worked fine. Note I have about 6 systems at home and most of them are dual booting so I always have a backup if I am having an issue with one system so I have no qualms moving to another system if need be.
    check my webos facebook group http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=129304747081175

help me reach my goal to be the first non celebrity on twitter with 1 million followers http://www.twitter.com/darkproteus66

LONG LIVE HOMEBREW!!!
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by darkproteus66 View Post
    to be fair I have to sometimes fight with my computer to get it to doctor my phone. Seems to only happen with my win7 64 bit systems though. Ubuntu 64 has never worked and Ubuntu 32 and win7/vista 32 have always worked fine. Note I have about 6 systems at home and most of them are dual booting so I always have a backup if I am having an issue with one system so I have no qualms moving to another system if need be.
    Funny. My Win7 64-bit machine is that one that I can't doctor from.
    I have an old XP laptop that works, so I guess I'll need to keep it around for a bit longer
    Palm V -->m505 -->Tungsten T3-->T5->Centro-->Pre!
    It wasn't a personal hit on you. It was for the ones who were asking how to doctor. Come on, How can anybody get around to installing a custom alpha kernel without knowing how to doctor.
    Well, you obviously are the kind of person who can and should be alpha testing this kernel. Someone with the technical knowledge to work through problems and the time to do it. Thanks for at least trying it, but I guess it didn't work well on your Pre. I'm still tempted to try it but I'm so happy with F105 right now that I'm not sure I want to mess things up, even though I know I could get restored it if necessary.
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    Well, you obviously are the kind of person who can and should be alpha testing this kernel. Someone with the technical knowledge to work through problems and the time to do it. Thanks for at least trying it, but I guess it didn't work well on your Pre. I'm still tempted to try it but I'm so happy with F105 right now that I'm not sure I want to mess things up, even though I know I could get restored it if necessary.
    The few min I was able to get it working with my pre had me so excited that I can't wait for my replacement to get in this week just because there is a chance it may be one of the sacred pre's that can run it no issue.

LONG LIVE HOMEBREW!!!
    It wasn't a personal hit on you. It was for the ones who were asking how to doctor. Come on, How can anybody get around to installing a custom alpha kernel without knowing how to doctor.
    No offense taken. I know that this was directed at other forum members. I'm just saying cut them some slack. We were all noobs at one point and have all done things way outside of our skill level. That's how I learned the ins and outs of almost all of my devices. The only members I take offense to are the ones who are arguing with other members about innane bull**** and complaining b/c they think it's shoddy manufacturing when a phone isn't able to run at essentially more than double it's stock speeds.

LONG LIVE HOMEBREW!!!
    The few min I was able to get it working with my pre had me so excited that I can't wait for my replacement to get in this week just because there is a chance it may be one of the sacred pre's that can run it no issue.
    I might try it, just to see if I'm a Chuck Norris or a wimp. ha-ha.
    No offense taken. I know that this was directed at other forum members. I'm just saying cut them some slack. We were all noobs at one point and have all done things way outside of our skill level. That's how I learned the ins and outs of almost all of my devices. The only members I take offense to are the ones who are arguing with other members about innane bull**** and complaining b/c they think it's shoddy manufacturing when a phone isn't able to run at essentially more than double it's stock speeds.
    Agree, but the first thing you should learn when installing something is how to uninstall it. You should work backwards and make sure you are comfortable with the uninstall method before even installing, whether it is out of you skill set or not. I'm not great at computers, but that is certainly the method I take.
    Well done, we're in Droid territory now with our OMAP's yet again! I gave it a fighting chance with two Sprint Pre's (6 actually, 3 per device) and sadly, I was unsuccessful in booting my phone's (both 11/09 build date). None of the USB methods worked for me sadly, though the Novacom uLoader method worked perfectly on all attempts.

unixpsycho, having previously donated to the WebOS-Internals team; I'd like to make another donation directly to you for your superb custom kernels. If acceptable, PM me with the appropriate info payment info and I'll get the funds sent out.

Hopefully my weaker Pre's will receive support in later revisions. Otherwise, I hope to have better luck with my near-future Pre Plus devices on Verizon.
    Agree, but the first thing you should learn when installing something is how to uninstall it. You should work backwards and make sure you are comfortable with the uninstall method before even installing, whether it is out of you skill set or not. I'm not great at computers, but that is certainly the method I take.
    That is a very good method to live by. I can't even remember how many parts or system's I've killed due to not knowing what I was doing or worse not knowing how to undo what I had already done.

LONG LIVE HOMEBREW!!!
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by psm9 View Post
    I have an old XP laptop that works, so I guess I'll need to keep it around for a bit longer
    There are instructions somewhere for Win7 64-bit machines, because I had the same issue and after following the instructions, I can doctor the phone on it just fine. Pretty sure it was the Novacom driver that was the culprit. I want to believe you had to install the SDK or extract the driver out of it or something to that effect. Anywho, if I find it, I'll post the link to it.

And to make this post back on topic, I'm about 19 hours into SR-71 v1.4.1.81 on a refurb Sprint Pre with no reboots after a couple random reboots. I should have written it down, but I think my reboots happened with .78 or .80. Temperature stays in the high 30s - low 40s, but it has always run warmer on average than most people's posted Pre temperatures, no matter what kernel. Screenstate and Touchstone frequency switching are working as expected. Battery consumption seems to be the same as F105. It's no Chuck Norris, but this Van Damme Pre is holding up great so far. Excited to see how far it can be pushed, if there is anything left to push...
    Well now that things seem to be calming down, I think I can get back to providing some helpful information. Maybe even raise some hope for this kernel.

Kernel: SR71 Blackbird 1.4.1-81

Temp:
    So I have had this kernel installed since the night it was released and went though all the updates. I have a Sprint Palm Pre from the release date. Temperatures seem to be running a little higher then the F105 which is expected. However I have yet to have the phone reach above 45 degrees C. With an average of about 34 degrees. Also I put my phone though some hell, just for the fun of it. It was in my pocket yesterday while I was playing a pickup game of baseball. Temp outside was 95 degrees and sunny. Then wrapped the pre in a shirt while I was swimming to cool down. Also left outside. When I checked on it later it was around 42 degrees C and after playing the Helicopter game for about 30 mins it was up to 45 degrees.

Battery:
    Of course something on everyones mind. What would the battery be like on a pre OC'ed to 1.2ghz. Its not that bad. After about an hour of light usage, screen off on wifi receiving emails and txt messages every now and then, it was only using about 1.13% drain. Not bad at all. Of course heavy use the drain got up to 38.09% but thats expected. I have the stock battery from the release date with the pre. I can normally go a full 9-10 hrs before the phone will goes dead. However, I'm not an incredibly heavy user. It is a phone not really a full on gaming device, at least yet. lol.

App Load Times:
    Times measured off ipod touch timer using my hands so of course there is going to be some rounding.

Email (gmail and pop3 account): 1.3 sec
    Phone: 1.4 sec
    Gmaps: 5.8 sec
    Engadget: 3.8 sec
    contacts: 2.2 sec
    Facebook 3.3 sec

SunSpider:
    1.2ghz: Total Score: 9329.6ms
    1 ghz: Total Score: 12038.6ms
    800mhz: Total Score: 16126.4ms
    500 mhz: Total Score: 25161.8ms

Hope these are useful to someone. Also Note that yes I have a Chuck Norris Pre
    Sprint pre -> Motorola Photon 4G
    This is getting out of hand.

Some users here just outright refuse to go back and read the thread on how to recover without doctoring the phone! There are at least 2-3 different methods! I know of 1 user that booted a recovery kernel and saved themselves from having to doctor!

And for those that keep saying the Doctor isnt recognizing the phone... you have other problems and this kernel isnt one of them.
    as much as I enjoy your colorful kernel names sometimes I thibk they need to be less exciting, and more scary.

may I suggest you call your next kernel "phonebricker"

or "dosentwork"

or "ruinsthepre"

or "uwillhavetodoctor"

or "youronyourown"

and so on in that fashion.

it could help, probably not.

Edit: just thought about the purpose of the thread, and decided not to delete my post, but this will be my last in this thread until I have something more on-topic and useful to kernel testing to contribute.

cheers.
    Last edited by windzilla; 07/19/2010 at 10:31 AM.
    There are four lights.
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    So, unixpsycho, when are you releasing a 1.5 Ghz kernel for the Chuck Norris phones?
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    ok just installed this SR71. i came from F105. uninstalled F105 via preware, let the phone restart, checked that it was running at normal speeds and that F105 had been removed. installed SR71 without being plugged into anything, it went into the constant boot loop. pulled the battery, plugged it into the wall charger, put battery back in and it booted just fine. unplugged from wall charger and it has been fine since!

thanks to Unix, Rod, and everyone else for the helpful posts. without them i prolly would have just uninstalled it instead of trying the wall charger trick
    I am having this issue of 3D games crashing few minutes into playing, other than that everything is great. Is this a known issue with this kernel?
    can't wait to see what you can do when palm releases new hardware. Hmm what would overclocking an alread 1.2 ghz phone be like...
    .:jIbMo:. (biatch)

Sprint Palm Pre, previously Moto Q9c, Moto Q

Palm is da bomb, don't hate!
    Quote Originally Posted by psm9 View Post
    Don't bother with the butchered executable and methods in the wild for getting Novacom working on Winodws 7 x64.

Grab the Palm SDK for x64 machines at http://cdn.downloads.palm.com/sdkdow....5-465-x64.exe and install that.

You'd want to run the earlier mentioned novacom command from the "C:\Program Files (x86)\Palm\SDK\bin" folder. Good luck!