Page 16 of 31 FirstFirst ... 6111213141516171819202126 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beastlyschriefer View Post
    yes. it has been looping for several hrs
    Did you follow the How To Recover guide on the WebOS Internals site precisely?

People should really just link to that page instead of restating portions of it here. We have not yet had a single device that could not be recovered by following the instructions on that page precisely.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    i have no issue getting usb mode but doctor and my pre are long time enemies.lol but ive even redownloaded doctor and i cant get it to recognize my pre
    So let me get this straight.

You installed an experimental alpha testing version of a 1.2GHz kernel (twice the rated maximum speed of the CPU in the Pre) on the first day of its release, consciously knowing that your desktop computer is not set up correctly to run the webOS Doctor and therefore you would not be able to easily webOS Doctor your phone if something went wrong.

Is that correct?

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    i have no issue getting usb mode but doctor and my pre are long time enemies.lol but ive even redownloaded doctor and i cant get it to recognize my pre
    Are you using a Palm cord or aftermarket brand cord? Have you tried different usb ports?
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Did you follow the How To Recover guide on the WebOS Internals site precisely?

People should really just link to that page instead of restating portions of it here. We have not yet had a single device that could not be recovered by following the instructions on that page precisely.

-- Rod
    i have repeated these steps tens of time and get an error from doctor saying "controlservice failed
    service removed"
    So let me get this straight.

You installed an experimental alpha testing version of a 1.2GHz kernel (twice the rated maximum speed of the CPU in the Pre) on the first day of its release, consciously knowing that your desktop computer is not set up correctly to run the webOS Doctor and therefore you would not be able to easily webOS Doctor your phone if something went wrong.

Is that correct?

-- Rod
    not entirely. yes i have had some issues from webos doctor but i have doctored several times since with no issues.
    i have repeated these steps tens of time and get an error from doctor saying "controlservice failed
    service removed"
    OK, at this point, your issue is not related to the SR71 kernel at all.

What operating system and version are you running on your desktop computer? Have you rebooted it? Has anything on it changed since last time you successfully ran the webOS Doctor? Have you used any modem unlocking software or anything else which might affect the novacom drivers on your desktop computer?

Have you tried using the webOS Doctor on a different computer?

Have you looked through other threads on PreCentral related to not being able to run the webOS Doctor?

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by rrob13 View Post
    Thanks for mentioning this step. I was preparing to doctor my Pre after trying the Touchstone and USB to no avail. The wall charger allowed my Pre to boot properly, and I could uninstall the SR71 kernel. I wouldn't have tried the wall charger unless I had read your post, so you saved me a lot of time, effort and data.

For now I need to go back to F105 (which I love). My Pre apparently can't handle the higher speed.

Rob
    glad I could help you out.

-sent from my palm pre
    check my webos facebook group http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=129304747081175

help me reach my goal to be the first non celebrity on twitter with 1 million followers http://www.twitter.com/darkproteus66

LONG LIVE HOMEBREW!!!
    OK, at this point, your issue is not related to the SR71 kernel at all.

What operating system and version are you running on your desktop computer? Have you rebooted it? Has anything on it changed since last time you successfully ran the webOS Doctor? Have you used any modem unlocking software or anything else which might affect the novacom drivers on your desktop computer?

Have you tried using the webOS Doctor on a different computer?

Have you looked through other threads on PreCentral related to not being able to run the webOS Doctor?

-- Rod
    i have looked through other threads and have found no similar error codes. i am runningg windows 7 and have not installed any software recently. i will try doctoring on one of th laptops later.
    i have looked through other threads and have found no similar error codes. i am runningg windows 7 and have not installed any software recently. i will try doctoring on one of th laptops later.
    have you re-booted you computer -- stoped / started the nova com service?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    hey just something may help alot of you when the phone keeps going into a loop i found that if its to hot it will keep doing it i removed the battery let it cool down on a fan put the battery back in min later with back off left infront of a fan and booted up no problem at all that might give u enough time to remove patch via preware if u are trying to avoid doctoring or editing your govnah settings just a trick i used that seems to be working have done it and repeated it 5 times now
    It's really amazing that seemingly so many noobs are finding and installing these overclocking kernels, having trouble, then asking for help. Heck, I've been overclocking since the beginning, have an solid computer background, am a power Pre user, and I'm still hesitant to install this kernal. Not afraid to mess up my phone, but I just don't want to spend the time/energy right now to fix it if it's unstable, and of course do the testing that an alpha tester should do. But, I thank unixpsycho and rhwitby for their great work and probably won't be able to resist the tempation much longer. ha-ha
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    even fresh-doctored, my Pre doesn't like this kernel. i'm back to F105, and it's working as always. anyway, thanks rwithby and unixpsycho for this amazing achievement.
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    It's really amazing that seemingly so many noobs are finding and installing these overclocking kernels, having trouble, then asking for help. Heck, I've been overclocking since the beginning, have an solid computer background, am a power Pre user, and I'm still hesitant to install this kernal. Not afraid to mess up my phone, but I just don't want to spend the time/energy right now to fix it if it's unstable, and of course do the testing that an alpha tester should do. But, I thank unixpsycho and rhwitby for their great work and probably won't be able to resist the tempation much longer. ha-ha
    I encourage the noobs to do this kind of stuff. I they are that passionate about their phone and are willing to learn I see no problem with them doing this gotta start somewhere after all. Only issue is them not reading the previous posts that answer most of their questions, or just being indignant when someone answers their question. Noobs keep on noobing just know that when you get into overclocking like this there is a very real possibility of you bricking your phone with no hope of repair.
    check my webos facebook group http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=129304747081175

help me reach my goal to be the first non celebrity on twitter with 1 million followers http://www.twitter.com/darkproteus66

LONG LIVE HOMEBREW!!!
    Another update. Again, gsm o2 uk Pre, webOS 1.4.5. SR71 has been installed for gone 18hours.
    Highest cpu temp I have had is 45 degrees after continuous play of Jump O'clock and streaming TV.
    I am also Idling at 25degrees for the cpu temp.
    Some rough figures for battery, extrememely heavy use: Drain 7%-12% per hour.
    Idle: Drain 2%-5% per hour
    I will do some better testing later.
    Quote Originally Posted by darkproteus66 View Post
    I encourage the noobs to do this kind of stuff. I they are that passionate about their phone and are willing to learn I see no problem with them doing this gotta start somewhere after all. Only issue is them not reading the previous posts that answer most of their questions, or just being indignant when someone answers their question. Noobs keep on noobing just know that when you get into overclocking like this there is a very real possibility of you bricking your phone with no hope of repair.
    Oh I agree, as long as they have the skills/knowledge/reading ability to properly alpha test this and fix most problems on their own. The more people that test this out and give feedback, the better it will be for all of us.
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    Another update. Again, gsm o2 uk Pre, webOS 1.4.5. SR71 has been installed for gone 18hours.
    Highest cpu temp I have had is 45 degrees after continuous play of Jump O'clock and streaming TV.
    I am also Idling at 25degrees for the cpu temp.
    Some rough figures for battery, extrememely heavy use: Drain 7%-12% per hour.
    Idle: Drain 2%-5% per hour
    I will do some better testing later.

Now those are some nice numbers.

I tried installing agian last night with the -81 update. I removed the F105 and installed the SR71 with the phone plugged into a wall outlet and was able to get the phone to boot and run stable at 1205 for about 10 min before it went into a reboot. I never even got the chance to check if the screen state was working properly but I know that my phone was crashing earlier when coming back up from 500MHz. If another update comes out I'll try it again on this modle but otherwise I think I'm going to hold off testing this kernel until my new phone comes in which should be either tomorrow or wed.

LONG LIVE HOMEBREW!!!
  17.    #317  
    This is getting out of hand.

Some users here just outright refuse to go back and read the thread on how to recover without doctoring the phone! There are at least 2-3 different methods! I know of 1 user that booted a recovery kernel and saved themselves from having to doctor!

And for those that keep saying the Doctor isnt recognizing the phone... you have other problems and this kernel isnt one of them.
    Live free or DIE!
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    Oh I agree, as long as they have the skills/knowledge/reading ability to properly alpha test this and fix most problems on their own. The more people that test this out and give feedback, the better it will be for all of us.

And this is probably one of the things I love most about these forums. For the most part very very noob friendly. I'm great with dealing with hardware and basic software issues and whenever I've come here with questions about OS level issues or programming questions I've gotten nothing but polite friendly help. Thank you for the kernel and thank you everybody on these forums for just being great.

LONG LIVE HOMEBREW!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpsycho View Post
    This is getting out of hand.

Some users here just outright refuse to go back and read the thread on how to recover without doctoring the phone! There are at least 2-3 different methods! I know of 1 user that booted a recovery kernel and saved themselves from having to doctor!

And for those that keep saying the Doctor isnt recognizing the phone... you have other problems and this kernel isnt one of them.
    Hey unix this was your 666 post

LONG LIVE HOMEBREW!!!
  20.    #320  
    Quote Originally Posted by darkproteus66 View Post
    Hey unix this was your 666 post
    The next kernel version will be -666
    Live free or DIE!