Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1.    #61  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Grace View Post
    Actually I figured out what the problem was. Under OS 1.4x I'd installed a package called "JustInput", which provides a way to input Chinese (and now other Asian character sets). It's not a standard app, but intercepts double taps in the gesture area, much like VKB, to allow input of simplified Chinese characters using various methods. The 1.4.5 update broke JustInput somehow, but I hadn't uninstalled it. I guess it was always running (or trying to run).
    Can you install it again, and confirm that it is really the cause? We often have coincidences with this stuff, so we want to be sure of the true cause.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    It's definitely the cause, at least on my Pre. I reinstalled the JustInput service and main application, but then I was unable to install the PinYin interface package. I got one of those "device busy" errors in WOSQI. I rebooted, then was unable to run PDK apps. Next, I uninstalled the JustInput service, rebooted, and was again able to run PDK apps. So I can conclude that the JustInput service (latest version, 1.4.1.4) caused this problem for me.

However, I now find that I can install an older version (1.3.X) of JustInput just fine, with no ill effects on PDK apps.
    Last edited by Dr.Grace; 08/18/2010 at 08:03 PM.
  3.    #63  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Grace View Post
    It's definitely the cause, at least on my Pre. I reinstalled the JustInput service and main application, but then I was unable to install the PinYin interface package. I got one of those "device busy" errors in WOSQI. I rebooted, then was unable to run PDK apps. Next, I uninstalled the JustInput service, rebooted, and was again able to run PDK apps. So I can conclude that the JustInput service (latest version, 1.4.1.4) caused this problem for me.
    Thanks for confirming that.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by eliw236 View Post
    ok, ive been trying to follow this whole pdk issue and have tried all the usual stuff to try to fix the problem Im having, which I only have with 1 app. Raging Thunder.

after the 1.4.5 update, i installed the fstab fixer and all, but no matter what ive tried to do, when I load raging thunder, i get a "failed to load profile, file is either corrupt or wrong version" error.

Is this related to the PDK fstab error? or am i the only one getting that specific error?

Thanks in advance!! =)
    I get that same issue after installing the fstab fix like 3 different times. I actually had it successfully load the profile one time before it went corrupt again. Sucks cuz this is a great game, far better than asphalt. so i've been sticking to instant race and arcade while waiting for an update.

~ Wolfenstein pre-D, Now in Pre-Alpha! ~
  5.    #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by Indecom View Post
    I get that same issue after installing the fstab fix like 3 different times. I actually had it successfully load the profile one time before it went corrupt again. Sucks cuz this is a great game, far better than asphalt. so i've been sticking to instant race and arcade while waiting for an update.
    That sounds like a bug in that particular app, not a general thing or something related to this thread.

-- Rod
    I found my problem and was able to fix it, but unfortunately I have no idea what caused the problem. Let me describe:

Initial problem was that all PDK apps were no longer starting. Or better: They HANG after starting them and I had to kill -9 them.

Later I tried starting the apps via command line and this was working fine. But this is quite a difference because they are not executed inside the jail then. But while playing a game I noticed that I had no sound. So I checked if sound is working at all and noticed that NO sound is working, no notifications, no call signals, nothing.

Then I checked the logfiles and found an error that pulseaudio is not starting because a permission problem (I no longer have the exact error message). I tried starting pulseaudio manually and got the same error message. Then I started it with strace to check what it was trying to do before the error occurs and it was simply creating some file in /var/run/. So I checked the permissions and found some nasty stuff. /var had the permissions rwx------ so only root could do anything with it. And all directories under /var had the permissions r-x-wSr-t which looks really weird.

I corrected some permissions so pulseaudio could write the file it tried to write and then I was able to start pulseaudio again, sound was working again and the PDK apps started again.

But I'm still planning to doctor the phone in the next days because there are still too many directory permissions broken and I don't know if this will cause problems later.

Too bad I have no idea who corrupted these permissions. But it can't be the fstab fixer because it simply modifies the fstab file and nothing else.
    My apps: ScummVM | Destroids | Minimap
    My phone: Palm Pre 2, webOS 2.2.4, OČ Germany
  7.    #67  
    Quote Originally Posted by kayahr View Post
    I found my problem and was able to fix it, but unfortunately I have no idea what caused the problem. Let me describe:

Initial problem was that all PDK apps were no longer starting. Or better: They HANG after starting them and I had to kill -9 them.

Later I tried starting the apps via command line and this was working fine. But this is quite a difference because they are not executed inside the jail then. But while playing a game I noticed that I had no sound. So I checked if sound is working at all and noticed that NO sound is working, no notifications, no call signals, nothing.

Then I checked the logfiles and found an error that pulseaudio is not starting because a permission problem (I no longer have the exact error message). I tried starting pulseaudio manually and got the same error message. Then I started it with strace to check what it was trying to do before the error occurs and it was simply creating some file in /var/run/. So I checked the permissions and found some nasty stuff. /var had the permissions rwx------ so only root could do anything with it. And all directories under /var had the permissions r-x-wSr-t which looks really weird.

I corrected some permissions so pulseaudio could write the file it tried to write and then I was able to start pulseaudio again, sound was working again and the PDK apps started again.

But I'm still planning to doctor the phone in the next days because there are still too many directory permissions broken and I don't know if this will cause problems later.

Too bad I have no idea who corrupted these permissions. But it can't be the fstab fixer because it simply modifies the fstab file and nothing else.
    Thanks for investigating and proving that EFF was not the cause of the problem.

-- Rod
    I have stuck with webOS because of the homebrew. Homebrew makes webOS better than any other OS.
    Thanks
    I cannot open Navit app. What is up with that?
    Is this patch necessary for Verizon OTA 1.4.5 update? Can we just doctor and not have to worry about it?

Thanks
  11.    #71  
    Quote Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
    Is this patch necessary for Verizon OTA 1.4.5 update? Can we just doctor and not have to worry about it?

Thanks
    Firstly, it's not a patch as such, it's a linux script which permanently changes the /etc/fstab program to match what it would be like if you doctored. There is no need to "unpatch" it, and the end result is identical to if you doctored, without having to go through the trouble of doctoring.

-- Rod
    Thanks for the reply. Is it even necessary with the Verizon OTA release or was it fixed before release? I have a Pre Plus, but hoping the Pixi Plus release answers the question for me also.
  13.    #73  
    Quote Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
    Thanks for the reply. Is it even necessary with the Verizon OTA release or was it fixed before release? I have a Pre Plus, but hoping the Pixi Plus release answers the question for me also.
    If it is webOS 1.4.5, and not some later version, then it is necessary. The Emergency Fstab Fixer checks for this specific version.

-- Rod
    thanks so much!
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    I cannot find this patch.. i just updated to 1.4.5 and downloaded Navit... but when I try to run it... it just sits there? does nothing??

And I cannot find this patch anywere? Anybody have any idea? Solutions wold be greatly appreciated?

Thanks,

JAson
    Quote Originally Posted by jellis14 View Post
    I cannot find this patch.. i just updated to 1.4.5 and downloaded Navit... but when I try to run it... it just sits there? does nothing??

And I cannot find this patch anywere? Anybody have any idea? Solutions wold be greatly appreciated?

Thanks,

JAson
    Its not a patch but a linux service, so search under Linux services and NOT in patches and NOT in applications.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
  17.    #77  
    Quote Originally Posted by jellis14 View Post

Thanks,

JAson
    "Just Type" in the Preware main screen.

-- Rod
    I find that I keep having to apply this fix for each and every app that I can't run. after each restart the app works but when I go back into preware it shows that the fix is not applied ... any thoughts on why?
    Quote Originally Posted by christcentric View Post
    I find that I keep having to apply this fix for each and every app that I can't run. after each restart the app works but when I go back into preware it shows that the fix is not applied ... any thoughts on why?
    You'll find that its the restart that is making the app work and not the fstab fixer, once it is run once is doesnt doing anything the next time you run it.
    And yes its intended functionality to not show as installed, becuase it only runs to fix the bug.

Pip
    I know I asked a similar question before, but I want to make sure. I just doctored my phone (1.4.5). If I doctor, I DON't have to run the fstab fixer, right?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast