Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by THL View Post
    No, this will not be the case. The patch enables PDK apps, that have saved data on the USB partition to continue writing there. 1.4.5 disabled this. The workaround developers are encouraged to save data at a different, fully patch-unaffected location and will continue to do so there. Hence patch and fixed apps cannot conflict, because two different methods are incorporated.
    as a PDK app developer - this approach (asking dev to fix it), is wrong.

the PDK has a specific API that you can request a place that you can safely write your information to; the result is the /internal/media directory - it should be writable, this was a complete bug that should have never made it out. our games are affected by it, but only for the save state (preferences etc) - but a future update will make it writable again.

by the API definition; this is the location.

in a future update; it will be writable again; and now as a developer, we need to mess around with checking if the directory is writable, and then reading from an alternative location. but, if the application is already released; you need to first read the files; if they exist.. you end up in a horrible catch-22 type system where you don't know what you are doing.

most apps will run; but maybe they wont save their state - like in our games cases, what we'll do is nothing. there will be an update out shortly, and the games will save their state correctly. no brainer, no big deal - palm should really delay the release and fix it, instead of getting every developer to hack around their bug.
    // Aaron Ardiri
    Mobile 1UP, http://www.mobile1up.com/
    Caveman, Caveman HD (touchpad), Cronk and GW Series available on web OS
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Black View Post
    I wish i could give Ruby a call and get him to throw loads of cash your way!..I believe Webos development will move a lot faster if the Webos Internals team was fully invovled.
    +10000000000000000 maybe we should all spam palm a link to this thread on twitter!!!!
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by phil.hsr View Post
    +10000000000000000 maybe we should all spam palm a link to this thread on twitter!!!!
    The right people at Palm know about this fix, so there is no need to spam anyone.

I also understand why WebOS Internals can easily release it (less than an hour's work due to our awesome homebrew infrastructure) and Palm probably cannot easily do so, and it's got nothing to do with skill, effort or intent.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Is there a link that explains how to use or find the testing feed?
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by Beach447 View Post
    Is there a link that explains how to use or find the testing feed?
    The Preware documentation at http://install.preware.org/ contains that information. I usually assume that everyone reads that page twice before posting, as it's in the package description screen for the Preware package in Preware and also in the Help screen in Preware itself ...

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Unfortunately, without involving carriers, Palm can't just put out a small update to fix it. But isn't it great that the homebrew system can.
    I was thinking along the lines of instead of their blog post requesting apps to be modified to get around the issue to instead link to this solution so that the end users effected can apply the fix. That way it is not a palm update that requires carrier approval which is why 1.4.5 wasn't halted to update it since it would mean most likely all carrier reject it and end users having to wait a couple months to get the 1.4.5 stuff and stuff planned for the next version. Anyway's hopefully word of this fix will get spread around by the community and possibly even palm so that this is a non issue for both users and developers.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    Hello i tried to install this patch 5 times using Preware 1.2 but always un successful. Then i downloaded the patch and tried to install it using webos quick install, then i got this error

mount: mounting /dev/mapper/store-root on / failed: Device or resurce busy

Help
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by Filipxy View Post
    Hello i tried to install this patch 5 times using Preware 1.2 but always un successful. Then i downloaded the patch and tried to install it using webos quick install, then i got this error

Help
    Update to Preware 1.2.1, reboot your device, install the EFF before doing anything else.

-- Rod
    I had conected my Pre on wfi but i had not seen Preware update, i typed in Preware eff but i got 164 results.Help after the update my apps are not working (VisualBoyAdvance, Duke3D, Navit)

When i try to install other apps using WebOs Quick Install i get the same error.

Last edited by Filipxy; 07/19/2010 at 11:12 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by guejoe View Post
    Never mind! I found your patch in Preware
    Lucky you, cos I don't. What key words did you use?

Alternatively, what is the complete URL?
    Last edited by crowning73; 07/24/2010 at 05:07 AM.
    Make sure that preware is updatet - mine just updatet to 1.2.5 og add the testing all feed. Did at "fsta" seache in preware - and there it wase, installede without a problem. Reboot og now navit works just fine.
    My Preware is updated 1.2.5,including testing all and testing arm7, yet no key word search brings me to this patch

http://ipkg.preware.org/feeds/webos-..._1.0.0_all.ipk

Where do I find the complete URL addresss so that I can input it into "install packege"?
    update:
    after a rescan luna, rescan java and restart luna was able to install it, cheers

shame it doesn't solve my issue with Navit, still no joy with that
    Last edited by crowning73; 07/24/2010 at 07:19 AM.
    I just have quick question. I installed EFF through preware & it said success. I luna restarted like it required. But my question is this, is there suppose to be a EFF icon in the app launcher to run it or is it that once it installed & luna restarted, that was it. Because i dont see any EFF icon in my launcher & when I go in preware & look at installed patches, it doesnt even show up as an installed patch.
  15.    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdawg727 View Post
    I just have quick question. I installed EFF through preware & it said success. I luna restarted like it required. But my question is this, is there suppose to be a EFF icon in the app launcher to run it or is it that once it installed & luna restarted, that was it. Because i dont see any EFF icon in my launcher & when I go in preware & look at installed patches, it doesnt even show up as an installed patch.
    That is to be expected. All the Emergency tools are "one-shot" - they do they job they need to do, and then remove themselves.

-- Rod
    Rod quick question if someone doctored to 1.4.5 then got a notification update was available but was only 3mb does one still have to apply this fix?
  17.    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    Rod quick question if someone doctored to 1.4.5 then got a notification update was available but was only 3mb does one still have to apply this fix?
    This tool is idempotent. That is you can apply it at any time, and as many times as you want, and if the problem is already fixed it will do nothing.

-- Rod
    Ok great. So then everything worked out perfect for me. I thought I missed something. Thanx a lot, great stuff man.
    it worked for all but 1 of the PDK apps I have purchased... Blades of Fury would not open. I wound up fixing it by deleting the app and re-DLing from app cat. Could be just a glitch or something that was corupt on my pre??? IDK but all is good now.
    I have WebOS 1.4.5 (OTA-updated) and I had problems with Gangstars after the 1.4.5 update (It no longer loaded my savegame) and ScummVM (Error message when saving). So I think I'm affected by this save bug. So I installed the Fstab Fixer. It told me I need to reboot my phone. After this the Fixer app was gone so I think it was executed successfully. But now I can't run any PDK game anymore. Even Crusade of Destiny no longer starts (Which was running fine and without savegame bugs before). The apps simply don't come up. They are listed in "ps -aux" and I have to "kill -9" them to stop them.

This is my /etc/fstab after installing the patch:

Code:
    rootfs	/	ext3	ro,suid,dev,exec,auto,nouser,async,noatime	1	1
    /dev/mapper/store-var	/var	ext3	noatime,data=writeback	0	0
    /dev/mapper/store-log	/var/log	ext3	noatime	0	0
    /dev/mapper/store-update	/var/lib/update	ext3	noauto,noatime	0	0
    proc	/proc	proc	defaults	0	0
    devpts	/dev/pts	devpts	mode=0620,gid=5	0	0
    tmpfs	/tmp	tmpfs	size=64M,mode=1777	0	0
    tmpfs	/var/run	tmpfs	size=16M,mode=1777	0	0
    tmpfs	/media/ram	tmpfs	defaults	0	0
    /dev/mapper/store-media	/media/internal	vfat	utf8,shortname=mixed,umask=0000	0	0
    /var/opt /opt bind defaults,bind 0 0
    What's wrong here? Is there missing something? Wasn't there a mount point for the PDK app jail before? (No, they are dynamically created when an app is started, and this still works, but the game doesn't show up)
    Last edited by kayahr; 08/14/2010 at 02:48 AM.
    My apps: ScummVM | Destroids | Minimap
    My phone: Palm Pre 2, webOS 2.2.4, OČ Germany
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast