webOS Nation Forums >  Homebrew >  WebOS Internals > Speech Dispatcher
Speech Dispatcher
Like Tree2Likes

Old 07/11/2010, 09:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
Developer

Courtesy of WebOS Internals developers noradtux and hape (with some packaging and infrastructure assistance from myself), we now have a speech synthesis daemon/service available.

Listen to http://bit.ly/speech-dispatcher-test (from ./spd-say "This is a test of the Speech Dispatcher service from WebOS Internals. Smart. Open. Phones.")

Application:SpeechDispatcher - WebOS Internals has all the information about this package, which is now in the testing feeds.

You must use Preware to install it from the testing feeds. Do not try installing it with any other program.

-- Rod
www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals

Last edited by rwhitby; 08/11/2010 at 05:16 PM.
rwhitby is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by dreznicek, slydog43
Old 07/11/2010, 09:30 AM   #2 (permalink)

Very cool. Does anyone have plans to make use of Speech Dispatcher? I'd be interested to see what you guys do with it.
mynameisbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/11/2010, 09:31 AM   #3 (permalink)
Developer

Navit is the first application to use it.

-- Rod
Old 07/11/2010, 09:59 AM   #4 (permalink)

And it's got a British accent! Excellent work. I am amazed. Let the door of creativity swing open
dreznicek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/11/2010, 10:06 AM   #5 (permalink)
Legend

Bit of a dumb question, but how does this compare to the existing open source test-to-speech service? http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...xt-speech.html

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
Jason Robitaille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/11/2010, 10:47 AM   #6 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
Bit of a dumb question, but how does this compare to the existing open source test-to-speech service? http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...xt-speech.html
Speech Dispatcher is using espeak as the back-end, so the speech quality should be identical.

However, using the espeak package directly (as the service you reference is doing) is not supported, because if you call espeak faster than it can speak you get into trouble. The Speech Dispatcher takes care of this and more. Note that this effort is a continuation of the espeak effort that the service you reference was using (ported by the same WebOS Internals developers who did the original espeak package), and has replaced that package in Navit.

It also doesn't use Java (which will stop working in a webOS version coming soon)

Speech Dispatcher (and the espeak back-end for it) is of course open source.

-- Rod
Thanked By: slydog43
Old 07/11/2010, 11:18 AM   #7 (permalink)

is it only available for 1.4.5? I tried to install and get an ipkg error. So before I start troubleshooting I was just curious if it is 1.4.1 compatible.
mamouton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/11/2010, 11:40 AM   #8 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
is it only available for 1.4.5? I tried to install and get an ipkg error. So before I start troubleshooting I was just curious if it is 1.4.1 compatible.
It was developed and tested on 1.4.5. But I don't see why it shouldn't work on 1.4.1 aswell.
noradtux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/11/2010, 02:32 PM   #9 (permalink)

Hi,

I can`t install it on my pre. I doctored my Pre and yesterday installed the Alpha version of espeak and navit. After using "Save/Restore" to restore my Launcher settings something went wrong. I had to go through the activation process again (I don`t know why). All the apps had to be reinstalled (their settings and data was correct!), but this time WOQI didn`t install navit. Some error occured.

The Preware version now won`t work and bring up this error:

Quote:
download
% Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 0
0 1763k 0 1171 0 0 1195 0 0:25:10 --:--:-- 0:25:10 6505
6 1763k 6 118k 0 0 59094 0 0:00:30 0:00:02 0:00:28 96774
26 1763k 26 466k 0 0 157k 0 0:00:11 0:00:02 0:00:09 216k
48 1763k 48 848k 0 0 214k 0 0:00:08 0:00:03 0:00:05 268k
72 1763k 72 1269k 0 0 256k 0 0:00:06 0:00:04 0:00:02 306k
97 1763k 97 1722k 0 0 288k 0 0:00:06 0:00:05 0:00:01 345k
100 1763k 100 1763k 0 0 292k 0 0:00:06 0:00:06 --:--:-- 414k
failed
-1: Unable to run command: /usr/bin/luna-send -n 6 luna://com.palm.appinstaller/installNoVerify '{"subscribe":true, "target": "/media/internal/.developer/org.webosinternals.speechd_0.7.1_arm.ipk", "uncompressedSize": 0}' 2>&1
** Message: serviceResponse Handling: 2, {"returnValue":true , "ticket":1, "subscribed":true}
** Message: serviceResponse Handling: 2, { "ticket":1 , "status":"STARTING" }
** Message: serviceResponse Handling: 2, { "ticket":1 , "status":"CREATE_TMP" }
** Message: serviceResponse Handling: 2, { "ticket":1 , "status":"VERIFYING" }
** Message: serviceResponse Handling: 2, { "ticket":1 , "status":"IPKG_INSTALL" }
What could be the problem?

Thanks

Marcel

Now I tried
mgmft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/11/2010, 03:57 PM   #10 (permalink)

I get the same error message
mamouton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/11/2010, 09:12 PM   #11 (permalink)
R_E

I'm a bit confused, does this app do anything or is it just a service for other apps?
R_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/12/2010, 03:02 AM   #12 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_E View Post
I'm a bit confused, does this app do anything or is it just a service for other apps?
It is just a service for other apps. Currently only Navit uses it.

HaPe
hape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/12/2010, 04:56 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
I get the same error message
Hi Mamouton,

Login into your pre with terminal and delete the old symlink:

rm /usr/lib/locale

Probably you will have to remount rw before:

mount -o remount,rw /

That did the trick for me Either remount ro or reboot your pre. Than you should be able to install it!

Marcel
Old 07/12/2010, 09:10 AM   #14 (permalink)

Damn. It didn`t work for me. I had english spoken text with german pronounciation.
Then I tried to:

- uninstall Navit/Speechd via preware
- mount -o remount,rw /
- rm /usr/lib/locale (wasn`t there anymore)
- rm -R /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/org.webosinternals.navit (wasn`t there anymore)
- rm -R /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/org.webosinternals.speechd (was there)
- reboot
- Install via Preware
- This leads me to the same error and leaves me without navit

Any suggestion?
Old 07/12/2010, 12:09 PM   #15 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmft View Post
Damn. It didn`t work for me. I had english spoken text with german pronounciation.
Then I tried to:

- uninstall Navit/Speechd via preware
- mount -o remount,rw /
- rm /usr/lib/locale (wasn`t there anymore)
- rm -R /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/org.webosinternals.navit (wasn`t there anymore)
- rm -R /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/org.webosinternals.speechd (was there)
- reboot
- Install via Preware
- This leads me to the same error and leaves me without navit

Any suggestion?
after removing that link you need to reinstall the locale-package. Or recreate the link manually, but pointing to /media/internal/.widk/usr/lib/locale .
noradtux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/12/2010, 05:43 PM   #16 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by noradtux View Post
after removing that link you need to reinstall the locale-package. Or recreate the link manually, but pointing to /media/internal/.widk/usr/lib/locale .
Or just use Preware to remove and install things, so the dependencies are followed.

-- Rod
Old 07/13/2010, 07:32 AM   #17 (permalink)

Hi,

I used Preware to remove everything. Still got that error. Speechd won`t install

Quote:
ln -s /usr/lib/locale /media/internal/.widk/usr/lib/locale
?

There is no directory "/media/internal/.wdik", just ".wi" !? Thus I didn`t set the link.

Now I did now was the following:

- install the german locale (from Navit Alpha) via WOSQI
- install speechd via WOSQI
- install new navit via WOSQI

Now navit can be used, but I do again get englisch messages with german pronaunciation!!! Sounds terrible. The old locale package set the link /usr/lib/locale to
Quote:
/usr/lib/locale -> /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/org.webosinternals.locale/locale
Any suggestion on how to get correct guidance messages?

Thanks

Marcel
Old 07/13/2010, 08:32 AM   #18 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Hi,

I used Preware to remove everything. Still got that error. Speechd won`t install

?

There is no directory "/media/internal/.wdik", just ".wi" !? Thus I didn`t set the link.

Now I did now was the following:

- install the german locale (from Navit Alpha) via WOSQI
- install speechd via WOSQI
- install new navit via WOSQI

Now navit can be used, but I do again get englisch messages with german pronaunciation!!! Sounds terrible. The old locale package set the link /usr/lib/locale to

Any suggestion on how to get correct guidance messages?

Thanks

Marcel
Why do you not use Preware? It will install all needed packages in one run if you install The Navit package.

The locale from the alpha version is different to the one that is in the testing feed in Preware. This can not work.

Remove locale, remove the link that was set by the old locale package. Install the new locale from Preware.

HaPe
hape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/13/2010, 09:03 AM   #19 (permalink)

Aahhh, webosinternals was often down during the last days. Thus I couldn`t read the wikis. I guess my problem was, that I did only acitvate one testing feed "arm7" and NOT "all" in addition and preware didn`t find localisation. Now it installed, but I didn`t yet have the possibility to try routing and speach. I assume that was my problem! Now ".widk" does exist!

Marcel
Old 08/02/2010, 05:18 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Aahhh, webosinternals was often down during the last days. Thus I couldn`t read the wikis. I guess my problem was, that I did only acitvate one testing feed "arm7" and NOT "all" in addition and preware didn`t find localisation. Now it installed, but I didn`t yet have the possibility to try routing and speach. I assume that was my problem! Now ".widk" does exist!

Marcel
thank you that helped me out!!
zymagoras is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0