1.    #1  
    Exactly as the title says. The Package Updates section is grayed out of Preware. My version of Preware is 1.1.4 if that matters. And yes, I've tried updating the feeds. Someone help my noobish brain

And before I get flamed, yes, I've looked around and searched and couldn't find anything on this topic.

~Zak
    Quote Originally Posted by Karou View Post
    Exactly as the title says. The Package Updates section is grayed out of Preware. My version of Preware is 1.1.4 if that matters. And yes, I've tried updating the feeds. Someone help my noobish brain

And before I get flamed, yes, I've looked around and searched and couldn't find anything on this topic.

~Zak
    Did you read through the Preware thread, it is here if you missed it http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...eware-1-x.html
    And I am sure the devs would prefer you post in that thread.
    what version of webOS are you running? That can indicate a mismatch with an older version of webOS.

I just checked in Preware on my phone, and the updates are not greyed out.
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
  4.    #4  
    I'm running 1.4.1.1. Sorry about posting in the wrong place if I did. :< I'll read that thread and look for some info
    I'm running 1.4.1.1. Sorry about posting in the wrong place if I did. :< I'll read that thread and look for some info
    No need to be sorry, just you will be able to get more accurate and useful advice from posting in and reading that thread.

~Zak
    Have you tried restarting the Pre?
  7.    #7  
    Nope but I just did and its still grayed e_e

P.S. - It's a Verizon Pre+ if that helps
    Attached Images Attached Images
    you might try reinstalling preware. I've only seen this when the version of preware and the version of webOS don't match. but that was when I got a refurb that came with 1.4.0 and it resolved as soon as I updated webOS. make sure you installed the Verizon edition of Preware if there are different versions.

Also, were the "updates" showing up correctly before today, or is this a new Preware install?

you should PM one of the Preware guys and ask them to guide you and also post in the Preware sticky thread where there are many lurking that are smarter than I am.

Reserve yours today!
  9.    #9  
    Pip Smith cleared it up for me. It turns out that it only becomes "clickable" when you actually need an app/patch/whatever updated. All of my 38 apps/patches/whatevers were up to date so it was grayed out. Thanks pip

Perhaps a suggestion would be that they make it always clickable, and if you have no software that needs updating, it could just display a message saying "Everything is up to date" or something like that, so other clueless noobies like me wouldn't have to worry about anything.

Thanks everyone for helping.

EDIT: Just to make sure, all I have to do now to update to 1.4.5 when it comes is uninstall my theme, update, and reinstall my theme?
    Last edited by Karou; 07/10/2010 at 07:57 PM.
    that's odd. when I don't have anything needing an update, Preware just doesn't show an update item at all. it isn't gray, it's just not there.... why would mine be different than yours?

Also, there is more to 1.4.5 than your edit. in addition to what you mentioned, there are apparently several patches that need to be uninstalled... if you have any of them:

More info here:
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...lity-list.html

and

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...ta-update.html
  11.    #11  
    Hmm.. Thats odd why they would be different. Thanks for those lists. I'll make sure to uninstall those patches. I can reinstall them after the update though, right?
    if/when those patches are updated to work with 1.4.5 you will be able to re-install them. I'm on Verizon do I'm not even thinking about it until the update actually arrives. Lat time it was about a month after Sprint got it. The more carriers Palm has, the longer it takes to QA and release so I'm not holding my breath. There isn't much in this next release for me, which is fine because it is addressing stuff for developers. Generally each release is a bit faster and improves battery life some, so they are always a good thing.

Preware won't let you install something that isn't intended for your version of webOS, so it's always safe. The architecture and stability of Preware and the entire homebrew community is better than most major software companies so you are in good hands.

Edit: I just reloaded the feeds and now I see the gray updates... I don't know what causes it to show up or not, but I think PIP's explanation is as good as any. I usually check Preware and App Catalog for updates every morning as a habit, so I will have to start watching to see if that is showing up or not. It's probably always there and I never noticed it being gray... but I swear it wasn't there when I made my first post in this thread... I'm going crazy and it's a short trip!
    Last edited by Workerb33; 07/10/2010 at 09:04 PM.

Reserve yours today!
  13.    #13  
    Haha alright. It relieves me that yours is the same too, ruling out that my phone is screwed up somehow different.
    My "Package Updates" is also greyed out on my ATT Pre+. I am running v1.1.6 of Preware.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
  15.    #15  
    o_O Whats the newest version of Preware? I thought I had it. And where could I get it?
    <<Thread Moved>>

For Preware help in the forums go here:

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...eware-1-x.html

...this is also the place for your questions, it's where the experts hangout.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic