1.    #1  
    I've been having problems with Preware not installing apps it says it is installing. For example, I just tried to install Internalz, and it went through the motions of downloading it and file mgr, restarting java, and giving me the option to launch from Preware. But when I try, nothing happens, and it doesn't show up in my launcher. It doesn't show up anywhere but on Preware. I've downloaded apps from the Palm app catalog with no problem. The only way I can get homebrew apps now is through WOSQI. Any tips?
    Quote Originally Posted by tbenturner View Post
    I've been having problems with Preware not installing apps it says it is installing. For example, I just tried to install Internalz, and it went through the motions of downloading it and file mgr, restarting java, and giving me the option to launch from Preware. But when I try, nothing happens, and it doesn't show up in my launcher. It doesn't show up anywhere but on Preware. I've downloaded apps from the Palm app catalog with no problem. The only way I can get homebrew apps now is through WOSQI. Any tips?
    What version of Preware are you using?
    Also what version of webos are you on?
  3.    #3  
    Preware 1.1.4
    WebOS 1.4.1.1
  4. ay
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    Try rebooting the phone (not just Java), and see if that doesn't do the trick. Sometimes a good reboot is all that's need to solve a problem .
    I believe I've seen this behavior with depenencies, it probably installed file mgr then prompted for the luna restart w/out ever installing Internalz. Try to install Internalz a second time.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by ay View Post
    Try rebooting the phone (not just Java), and see if that doesn't do the trick. Sometimes a good reboot is all that's need to solve a problem .
    I try to reboot every morning. This isn't the first time it has happened either. It happened the other day when I tried to download preset reset. And I did reboot this AM.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    I believe I've seen this behavior with depenencies, it probably installed file mgr then prompted for the luna restart w/out ever installing Internalz. Try to install Internalz a second time.
    Rebooted again, removed Internalz, and tried to reinstall, still with the same problem. I love homebrew, so this is a pain. I don't mind WOSQI (that's how I eventually installed preset reset), but I much prefer preware.
    Rebooted again, removed Internalz, and tried to reinstall, still with the same problem. I love homebrew, so this is a pain. I don't mind WOSQI (that's how I eventually installed preset reset), but I much prefer preware.
    I have never seen the behaviour before and it looks like you are all up to date so all I can suggest in uninstalling and then reinstalling Preware to see if that does the trick.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    I have never seen the behaviour before and it looks like you are all up to date so all I can suggest in uninstalling and then reinstalling Preware to see if that does the trick.
    I'll give that a shot tonight. Anybody else have any suggestions?
  10.    #10  
    No luck on reinstalling preware. My next step is to doctor it, unless anybody else has any ideas. Kind of a pain just to get preware to work.
    No luck on reinstalling preware. My next step is to doctor it, unless anybody else has any ideas. Kind of a pain just to get preware to work.
    How many launcher pages do you have? You might try adding a new page to the left of Page 1 (the farthest left page) and see if newly installed apps appear there (the new page 1).

I know it sounds stupid but is the icon down below the quick launch bar (out of sight without scrolling)?

If you use the universal search and type Internalz do you see the icon appear? If you see the icon can you launch it?

Also in Preware you said it shows up in the installed apps section, when you select it, do you have the launch button? If so can you launch it from there? (EDIT... I see from the OP you tried that already)

I'm just trying to determine if it is merely a launcher issue and the program is really there and installed or if it isn't.
    Last edited by pastorrich1; 07/09/2010 at 09:42 AM. Reason: addition
    As a thought, you could check that you have the GNU Patch and Lsdiff correctly installed, not sure if this would make a huge difference but I do believe Preware needs them to correctly install packages. Maybe an uninstall of preware, gnu patch and lsdiff and then reinstall preware might be worth a try.

Edit: Don't know if you would have to uninstall all patches first or not.
    Last edited by pip smith; 07/09/2010 at 09:45 AM.
  13.    #13  
    This is something new. Doesn't hurt to ask these questions, but I've been using Preware for months, and it stopped installing kind of out of the blue. It doesn't show up on the bottom of the 1st page at all. When I try to launch it from Preware, nothing happens. So I don't think it is a problem with me not knowing where the app is. Universal search doesn't pull it up either. I'm doctoring now, hopefully it will work after that.
    <<Thread Moved>>

For Preware help on the forum go here:

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...eware-1-x.html

...this is also the place for your questions, it's where the experts hangout.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
  15.    #15  
    Thanks, if doctoring doesn't work, I'll go there.
    Thanks, if doctoring doesn't work, I'll go there.
    If doctoring doesn't work Rod will likely be the only one who can help you. Pip knows his stuff as well and would likely be one of the first ones to pop in to help you there anyway.

The Dr. and clean install of Preware should almost certainly cure what ails you though.