Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By hmagoo
  1.    #1  
    anybody know the differences?
    X2. I've been wondering this also, as well as the max floor and tickle window settings in the ondemandtcl govenor.
    Global Posts
    451 Global Posts
    I like my pixi on performance min freq 122.8 max freq 600 compcache 24mb
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    ondemandtcl is a power saving version of ondemand

I'm pretty much reviving this month old thread, but I would also like to know what Max Tickle Window and Max Floor Window are. Google shows no relevant results, and the Govnah wiki excludes or isn't up to date with this information.
  5.    #5  
    if it's power saving, does it have the same performance?
    Verizon Pixi Plus on 1.4.5 w/ Preware
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzukiGS750EZ View Post
    Generally speaking, power saving and performance are inversely related. It could be engineered so you don't see a difference though, I have no idea.
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzukiGS750EZ View Post
    The Pre's CPU is faster than the Pixi's CPU clock for clock. IMO my brother's Pre @ 500Mhz feels like my Pixi @ 600Mhz, and in some cases still snappier.

If you want to exclude the CPU variable and pretend they both were using the same CPU to compare the governors at max CPU speed, I suppose that ondemand would be faster. Ondemandtcl would have to cut some things down to be powersaving. Unless ondemandtcl was optimized greatly for power savings and retains the speed with lower power consumption (such as what happens with CPUs every year, except this is from a software perspective). I wouldn't know for sure, I'm not an expert on governors.
    ondemandtcl stays longer at selected frequencies, without bouncing up and down all the time like you would with just ondemand.

performance governor always sticks to the max frequency, just so we all know.
    tobeaman likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman97 View Post
    X2. I've been wondering this also, as well as the max floor and tickle window settings in the ondemandtcl govenor.
    Searching for this information has only led me to this thread with no answer yet given...

Anyone capable of giving a detailed response for the behavior of ondemandtcl and specifically these two parameters?
    Global Posts
    490 Global Posts
    Hi there.

Been testing out ondemand and ondemandtcl, since I was curious too.

First, ondemand runs a bit differently than ondemandtcl, as we all know. After extensive testing I have finally been able to see the differences.

Ondemand - Both CPU cores freely move up and down as needed. The simplest task will cause them both to jump and either max out or find the needed frequency. Thing is, core 1 and 2 bounce independently, from 0 to 1.5. What I mean is, open a card with ondemand and you'll see cpu1 jump to 1.18 and cpu2 hit 384. Then one tick later, cpu1 drops to 192 while cpu2 jumps to 1.5. They move freely and seemingly without influence from the other. I did notice that apps seems to open faster and scrolling was smoother, but I also noticed battery life drop a bit. It could have been my usage so I won't know more about battery life until I test it in a more detailed fashion.

Ondemandtcl - this one functions as a custom ondemand. Open a card, and cpu1 will spike to 1.5 and cpu2 will probably remain idle. Only once the governor decides that cpu1 at 1.5 can't get it done fast enough will it fire up cpu2. Also of note, these frequencies do not move freely like standard ondemand. They will remain at the requested speed long enough to complete the task then a tick longer. It's common to see cpu1 jump to 1.5 and stay there while cpu2 does nothing. Again, it's the governor dictating this.

I'm currently testing ondemand 1.5 to see if there is a battery life drop over the course of several days use. I use my touchpad as my laptop replacement at home (leaving my mac at work) so I'll know very clearly how it goes.

PZ
    Global Posts
    490 Global Posts
    So turns out. 1.5 on-demand gives a smoother os experience but murders my battery.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    Yha. I stick with tcl because it saves battery in nomatter what device. The phones chip just ticks to what is needed and stays there. no more no less. But i dont know what max tickle and etc means would love to know.