Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1. wnk
    I am having some serious problems finding feed information for kernel testing. I have looked everywhere I know where to look, from webos-internals.org to searching on the forum. I have spent hours trying to get this added and have been unable to find much information.

I was able to find Testing Feeds - WebOS Internals But I was unable to get kernels from this information.

Can someone just point me into the right direction? I am really getting tired of the hours of looking.

I have a extra pre that I would love to use for testing (family member left pre and bought another phone)

agh.. I even tried http://ipkg.preware.org/feeds/webos-kernels/1.4.1.1/ found by searching around through ipkg.preware.org/feeds . Please someone help me out here I would really like to get some kernel testing on my extra pre. I really appreciate any help, I just cant keep up the search much longer.
    You are extremely warm my friend
    First some rules:

Anyone participating in WebOS Internals alpha testing of any kind must be prepared to fully erase and webOS Doctor their phone at a moment's notice without warning and without any regrets or complaints.

They must be prepared to and able to log into the command line on the device and type Linux commands when instructed to do so. Knowing Linux commands ahead of time is preferred, but not required if you are willing to learn them when necessary or can follow instructions without making mistakes.

They must be prepared to go to great and extraordinary lengths to try and reliably reproduce any problems they encounter.

They must give full and detailed bug reports, leaving out no piece of information which could possibly be remotely connected to the problem.

They must read any and all documentation and forums threads (in their entirety) before asking a question.

They must fastidiously follow the forum threads where the alpha testing is being discussed by the authors, and follow precisely any instructions given there.

If you're not prepared to do *all* the above, and do it all in good spirit, then please wait for the public release of the item.

If you are prepared to do *all* the above, then by all means please participate in the alpha testing.

Note that everything above is a function of attitude, not of skill.

If you agree to the above rules, feel free to follow these instructions:

1) Type 'webos-kernels-testing' (without the quotes, and using lower case letters and hyphens only) in the NAME field of the NEW FEED section of the Manage Feeds screen accessible from the Preware application menu.

2) Put http://preware.is.awesome.com/ in the URL field.

3) Leave the IS COMPRESSED toggle as is.

3) Hit "Add Feed" and read the disclaimer carefully. Yes, the things you might find in kernel testing feeds are likely to completely wipe your device without warning. Hit the Ok button only if you are prepared to lose all your data and destroy your device without any regrets or complaints.

4) Immediately reboot the device by simultaneously pressing the Opt, Sym and R keys.

5) Wait for the device to boot.

6) Open Preware, and hit Update Feeds. Make sure you have a working network connection for this.

Preware will repair the URL field automatically when the device boots.

You must be running Preware 1.1.4 or later for this to work (yes, this has been possible for quite some time).

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 07/16/2010 at 07:25 PM.
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    What's the best route to take when Preware does not automatically repair the url after device boot (long update feed error message post reboot)? The feed shows under manage feeds, though no hits. I've tried multiple times. Thanks to all you guys for what you do; I don't post much but I immensely appreciate all of your invaluable information. This phone and webos is plainly awesome.

Cheers,
    Chris
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliogabalus View Post
    What's the best route to take when Preware does not automatically repair the url after device boot (long update feed error message post reboot)? The feed shows under manage feeds, though no hits. I've tried multiple times.
    Swipe to delete the erroneous feed, then follow the instructions in my post more precisely.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    2) Put http://preware.is.awesome.com/ in the URL field.

-- Rod
    Does that URL really work?!?! if so, that, my friend, IS AWESOME!

Adam
    I am the creator of the PalmSpot entry “webOS Does, and Does, and Does Some More”, writes Save/Restore scripts and helps manage the script feed, and now writes webOS Nation's Tip of the Day

Got a good tip for webOS Nation's Tip of the Day? Please send me a PM or use the Contact Us form and select "Suggest a tip"

Like any of my work:
    Quote Originally Posted by Audemars02 View Post
    Does that URL really work?!?! if so, that, my friend, IS AWESOME!
    Much thanks! My previous reboots were not quick enough..

All the best,
    Chris
    Thank you very much for this, I have been searching the forums for weeks to try to gain access. I am a new pre member and love it more than any phone I have ever owned in my life, and I have had a vast array of phones. I am trying to take courses so I can start developing apps and themes for web os. Thank you very much.
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    Thanks OP for the thread and thanks Rod for the answers. I was in the exact same boat. After adding the testing feed from the webos internals page I was still unable to find the kernels feed. This worked perfect. Thanks!
    I've added the above to the Wiki Page for Testing Feeds. Please let me know if it's OK. I sort of re-styled the whole page to make it (I think...) a little easier to follow all the stuff.

www.webos-internals.org/wiki/Testing_Feeds

M.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    I've added the above to the Wiki Page for Testing Feeds. Please let me know if it's OK. I sort of re-styled the whole page to make it (I think...) a little easier to follow all the stuff.

www.webos-internals.org/wiki/Testing_Feeds

M.
    just saw this. and it is much nicer now. thanks, I had it before but I just doctored trying to put blackbird, and wanted to start fresh
    How do i add the kernel testing feed if im running preware 1.2.3
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Black View Post
    Nice one. You almost had me thinking that was a real question from an alpha tester ...

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Black View Post
    First some rules:

Anyone participating in WebOS Internals alpha testing of any kind must be prepared to fully erase and webOS Doctor their phone at a moment's notice without warning and without any regrets or complaints.

They must be prepared to and able to log into the command line on the device and type Linux commands when instructed to do so. Knowing Linux commands ahead of time is preferred, but not required if you are willing to learn them when necessary or can follow instructions without making mistakes.

They must be prepared to go to great and extraordinary lengths to try and reliably reproduce any problems they encounter.

They must give full and detailed bug reports, leaving out no piece of information which could possibly be remotely connected to the problem.

They must read any and all documentation and forums threads (in their entirety) before asking a question.

They must fastidiously follow the forum threads where the alpha testing is being discussed by the authors, and follow precisely any instructions given there.

If you're not prepared to do *all* the above, and do it all in good spirit, then please wait for the public release of the item.

If you are prepared to do *all* the above, then by all means please participate in the alpha testing.

Note that everything above is a function of attitude, not of skill.

If you agree to the above rules, feel free to follow these instructions:

1) Type 'webos-kernels-testing' (without the quotes, and using lower case letters and hyphens only) in the NAME field of the NEW FEED section of the Manage Feeds screen accessible from the Preware application menu.

2) Put [url] in the URL field.

3) Leave the IS COMPRESSED toggle as is.

3) Hit "Add Feed" and read the disclaimer carefully. Yes, the things you might find in kernel testing feeds are likely to completely wipe your device without warning. Hit the Ok button only if you are prepared to lose all your data and destroy your device without any regrets or complaints.

4) Immediately reboot the device by simultaneously pressing the Opt, Sym and R keys.

5) Wait for the device to boot.

6) Open Preware, and hit Update Feeds. Make sure you have a working network connection for this.

You must be running Preware 1.1.4 or later for this to work (yes, this has been possible for quite some time).

-- Rod
    just curious, but is this feed different? I just use the direct url, I have been using the test feeds for quite some time now, but wasent sure if I would find different info with this "alias" url instead of the direct url.. Can someone from the webOS Internals team advise? (Rod, Oil, Puff, M, Unix)
    thanks,
    tp
    Quote Originally Posted by thePretender View Post
    just curious, but is this feed different? I just use the direct url, I have been using the test feeds for quite some time now, but wasent sure if I would find different info with this "alias" url instead of the direct url.. Can someone from the webOS Internals team advise? (Rod, Oil, Puff, M, Unix)
    thanks,
    tp
    What "alias" URL are you referring to?

-- Rod
    What "alias" URL are you referring to?

-- Rod
    the "http://preware.is.awesome.com/" url..
    Quote Originally Posted by thePretender View Post
    the "http://preware.is.awesome.com/" url..
    You can use http://thePretender.did.not.get.the.joke/ instead if you like.

As it says later, Preware fixes the URL on the next boot as long as the feed name is correct.

-- Rod
    i have added the url and name to new feed and made a restart with op+r+sym..and started preware on the feed update it show me a large error message.. Have tryied it twice.. Whatc the point?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast