1.    #1  
    Hi,

Ive been working on a new project for personal use but Im looking forward to release it as open source if there's enough interest.

Its purpose is to provide a deeper customization layer as to how a cellphone reacts when a new message or call is received.

Think of those times when you receive a message or a call but don't want to pull out the phone unless its really important (ie during a meeting). If you ever wanted a way of knowing who is calling/texting/mailing before taking your phone, then this app will be for you.

As of now, these would be the key features:

• Design specific vibration patterns: For example, vibrate each second in ascending intensity for 5 seconds.
    • Predefined vibration patterns bassed on contact name: This is quite experimental for the moment. Right now it just separates words into its N number of syllables, increasing intensity at the stressed syllable, but I'm looking into ways of actually spelling a word through vibrations.
    • Import monophonic ringtones as vibration pattern: There are millions available online. Remember your old Nokia phone's composer? Think of if but for vibration instead of tones.
    • Various design interfaces: Drawing on a grid, tapping a tone and text based
    • Per-contact or per-group settings: Set a specific pattern for friends, coworkers or just a specific friend.
    • There might be more I'm forgetting, I could add more based on suggestions

The main code is nearly finished, but Im still looking at ways to improve the algorithms, best ways to detect new calls or messages, make it as less obstructive for webOS as possible, and to package it nicely.

So, it still needs time, something I'm willing to give if there's enough interest for a project like this.

Don't hesitate to ask or give suggestions.
  2.    #2  
    Mmm.. this post was meant to be in the Webos Development subforum.. Could a mod please move it there?
    Thanks.
    Hopefully we can get this noticed again...

AurelioB -> I think you've missed a HUGE selling point of your progect: Battery conservation!

I don't know how far along you are nor how you are attempting to manipulate the motor intensity, but it is a personal wish of mine that I be able to reduce motor intensity, effectively extending daily charge lifespan, even if by only a small margine.

I was about to post a proposal using Jason Robataille's LED Torch application as a model but the tagging process (not the PreCentral search, btw ) informed me that you were already working on my idea!

[Edit]

NVM

Just saw this WebOS Internals wiki article on vibrational device control. Seems that i won't be getting my wish.

I found the following from PC Generated Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) For DC Motor Speed Control:
    PWM is a common technique for speed control. A good analogy is bicycle riding. You peddle (exert energy) and then coast (relax) using your momentum to carry you forward. As you slow down (due to wind resistance, friction, road shape) you peddle to speed up and then coast again. The duty cycle is the ratio of peddling time to the total time (peddle+coast time). A 100% duty cycle means you are peddling all the time, and 50% only half the time.
    PWM for motor speed control works in a very similar way. Instead of peddling, your motor is given a fixed voltage value (say +5 V) and starts spinning. The voltage is then removed and the motor "coasts". By continuing this voltage on-off duty cycle, motor speed is controlled.
    Is there any possibility for voltage/amperage regulation like LED Torch uses?
    Last edited by jnever1; 07/22/2010 at 07:57 PM. Reason: new info