Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    This will replace my other thread as VLC turned out to be a bust. I have made more scripts which help make the install easier and added more details. Thanks to webos-internals for making all the tools that help this process work. This tutorial will help anyone with a computer capable of copying files and a Pre to get Xserver running. You can easily install MANY MANY apps from the debian repository. Like the open-office shown in the youtube video. I will update the tutorial as questions appear. If you have questions or need something clarified just post.

First and most importantly you will Preware running on your Pre. If you need to install Preware click here. I would recommend the latest version so you can overclock with uberkernel and govnah. Not needed but should help speed some things up. Also I would recommend ssh server and "terminal" app from preware. I assume many have ssh installed if not terminal app or xterm will do. This is the tutorial I used for ssh a while back. SSH is not necessary feel free to skip it if you don't want it.

Xorg Server + xterm

Add the webos-internals testing feed to preware.

Add webos-internals testing feed

Preware should automatically update the feeds if not click the top left and tap on "Update Feeds"

From Preware (main screen)
    Type "xterm"
    Install xterm it will ask to install other dependencies accept these.
    (Back to Preware main screen)
    Type "x server" (note the space after the X)
    Install and accept any dependencies.

Get the scripts

Download the sh.zip file at the bottom of this post and extract the sh folder to your Pre's USB partition. Note: Copy the folder (sh) itself too not just the files in the folder.

Resizing chroot

*nix users follow the "Building the rootfs on host system" step here.

Windows users there are 2 methods.

Method 1

Download toporesize-0.7.1.zip from this page. Unzip all the files to your desktop so they are easy to find.

Download the debian image from here.

Unzip the debsmall.img.bz2 file you just downloaded and open with an upziping tool. I use 7zip. Its opensouce and works great. Also recommend extracting the "debsmall.img" to the desktop so its easy to find.

Open the toporesize folder and double click on "toporesize.bat" This will load the program. Click on "find file" button and select the "debsmall.img".

Note: DO NOT click the "create new" or "rezise file only no resize2fs". I repeat DO NOT click on these two options.

Move the slider to the desired size. I would stay under 4000mb to be safe if you go above the FAT single file size limit (~4Gib or ~4.29GB) you will get an error when copying it over to the PRE).I would choose between 1000-3800mb. Pick carefully so you only resize once the program is experimental and corrupted when I attempted to resize the same file more than once. Then click on the "resize file" button. It will run some programs and youll see a couple of command promts pop up then disappear. When its done you can right click on "debsmall.img" file on your desktop. Select properties and the size should be the size you selected on the slider. You can plug in your Pre and copy it to the Pre's USB. I tried this method once and worked fine for me let me know if you experience problems with it.

Method 2 also works if all other methods fail

I have resized it to 2000M and uploaded it just torrent and copy this file to the Pre USB drive. Much more to download 2000M than the ~88mb the original image is but it works the same.(SEED) If you want a smaller size just ask ill upload it.

Loading chroot

To start up chroot I have made scripts that will mount the necessary drives and load chroot for you. Then run these commands in either terminal,xterm,or through ssh.

First copy the script to save time when loading chroot later. (Picture 1)

If ssh first run "sudo -s"
    If xterm to terminal skip this step as you are already root.
    If you want the scripts to copy to both the ssh home folder and the root folder run this command from ssh. If you use ssh later you can simply run the command again (even though it says runonce).

sh /media/internal/sh/runonce

What the scripts do

runonce -copies scripts to the home folders and wm.sh to /tmp
    ./mount -mounts and binds chroot drives
    ./chroot -loads chroot environment
    ./start -mounts drives and loads environment
    ./landscape -landscape mode for X server
    ./portrait -portrait mode for X server
    wm.sh loads the window manager in chroot

Unless you followed my other tutorial you will get some errors this is normal.

Now to start chroot. Either open terminal or new ssh session and type "sudo ./start"

To confirm you are in chroot type "uname -a" after arm71 you will see "GNU/Linux" if you are. If this is the case skip to apt-get step. (Picture 2)

If it says "unknown" it did not work. Follow the steps for "Deactivating Debian Rootfs" here. Then run close terminal app or ssh session and open a new session. Then run "sudo ./start" again.

You are now in debian.

apt-get

To install a window manager type "su" and hit enter. Then "apt-get update"(Picture 3). When this is done (you will see the command promt again). Type "apt-get install icewm"(Picture 4). It will tell you the space it will take type a capital "Y" and hit enter. Let the install finish.

Open "Xorg Server" app on your Pre. You will see a gray box with an X you can move.

Launching the programs

Only run once

cp /tmp/wm.sh /wm.sh

chmod 775 wm.sh

This copies a script that runs export DISPLAY=:0.0 and runs the window manager also sets permission to run it. That way you have to type less every other time.

Every time after running ./start or ./chroot

sh wm.sh

This runs the script which starts the window manager

How do I get more apps?

From the command line after you are in chroot (remember uname -a)
    Make sure you type "su" (The prompt should read "palm-webos-device:/#")

To get torrent app

apt-get install transmission

To get webbrowser

apt-get install epiphany-browser (hit enter when a box comes for keymap)

Hit "Y" to accept the file downloads. Make sure you have enough space first.

Landscape / Portrait modes

This app does not rotate like others. Personally I think it already sucks many of the phones resources so this is not a problem for me. I have included scripts to toggle between the two.Plus rotation might get annoying. I prefer landscape I think most people will too.

First close the Xorg Server app if its open.

Open a new terminal window (Terminal app/Xterm/ssh).Then run

./landscape

OR

./portrait

That is it you can reopen the app and it will be on whatever mode you picked.

Get me out
    To exit chroot type "exit" if you typed "su" type "exit" twice once to return you from palm- to root@ the second to exit. To get back into chroot since the drives are still mounted just type "./chroot" if you reboot you will need "./start" to get back in. I still haven't found a way to access USB mode after chroot without rebooting. If I find a solution that requires no reboot I will post. Until then just reboot.

I probably missed something. Post any errors you get or any improvements to the tutorial you would like to see.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    Good job man! I also recommend trying a configuration of the fvwm window manager I'm working on called "f3". I've got a lot going on this month (started a new job *and* I'm moving) so it's kind of half baked at the moment. However one nice thing about it is the ability to "pan" around a much larger virtual space when windows go off the screen. I've got it's current incarnation in the WebOS Internals GIT repository under fvwm-f3 (in the X11 section). I'll write up a tutorial on using it later but for the power users simply install fvwm via apt-get then clone the fvwm-f3 directory via git and copy all of the files (including hidden ones) to ~/.fvwm then just run fvwm as your window manager and you're done. Holding the gesture area and dragging the screen will result in a "panning" effect. If you have any questions just ask!

- phil_bw -
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BoraWare View Post
    Good job man! I also recommend trying a configuration of the fvwm window manager I'm working on called "f3". I've got a lot going on this month (started a new job *and* I'm moving) so it's kind of half baked at the moment. However one nice thing about it is the ability to "pan" around a much larger virtual space when windows go off the screen. I've got it's current incarnation in the WebOS Internals GIT repository under fvwm-f3 (in the X11 section). I'll write up a tutorial on using it later but for the power users simply install fvwm via apt-get then clone the fvwm-f3 directory via git and copy all of the files (including hidden ones) to ~/.fvwm then just run fvwm as your window manager and you're done. Holding the gesture area and dragging the screen will result in a "panning" effect. If you have any questions just ask!

- phil_bw -
    Awesome this is a flaw icewm has but it was the easiest to put in the tutorial. I will try this later. If I get fvwm to work I will replace it in this tutorial because the ability to pan will be great.
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    Just know that it'll look kinda funny at the moment. Kind of a classic unix meets windows 95. Also some of the bars are "fatter" to make it more mobile friendly. Eventually all of the menus will be this way. My goal is to eventually setup my own debian repository so installing will simply involve adding a new repo then apt-get fvwm-f3. For the time being a script that simply does the git clone command then copies all of te files to ~/.fvwm will probably be sufficient.

- phil_bw -
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Awesome, thanks, i got it to work. Ill probably make a video later or something, but im currently going to test the debian repositories for other lite weight applications. Any way to change wallpaper? themes isnt working, and most built in applications give me a command not found error like nano.
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tl12000 View Post
    Awesome, thanks, i got it to work. Ill probably make a video later or something, but im currently going to test the debian repositories for other lite weight applications. Any way to change wallpaper? themes isnt working, and most built in applications give me a command not found error like nano.
    Probably because its a gutted down version to save space so the non essentials were left out. Vim is probably there. Just apt-get install it.
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    just a quick q on vlc.
    I was going to put up a vointy for a port to webos with the pdk opened up but want to know if this is silly because you observed ffmpeg to crash . Did it crash trying to transcode? Is it areasonable proposition to attempt a webos port with theheavy lifting similar to current debian release?
    For some reason I cannotget xorg to run on the pre. I have the app, it just doesn't do anything
    Quote Originally Posted by bullet2binary View Post
    For some reason I cannotget xorg to run on the pre. I have the app, it just doesn't do anything
    Currently you have to start it via Terminal. Launcher start of Xorg/Xterm is broken in WebOS 1.4.5. Don't know why. I suppose our X11 development/porting team is retaining further development until WebOS 2.0 is available as an update.

Code:
    /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/org.webosinternals.xorg-server/start.sh
    starts the Xorg server alone,
    Code:
    /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/org.webosinternals.xterm-launcher/start.sh
    starts Xorg and Xterm.

HTH

Carsten
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    The reason its broken in 1.4.5 is because of the app jail. The app jail is used by palm to keep apps from hogging resources (which is pretty much what this does). Not sure when it will be fixed but if you are waiting for 2.0 on the original Pre good luck.
    I got this running on my Pre 2 and even installed OpenOffice but when I try to run icewm from the Xterm on the pre it says "not found" but when I run the same command from the nova terminal on my PC it launches.

How can I fix this?
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    Are you using chroot switch in to Debian first? Also if it's display not being found you may want to try DISPLAY=:0.0 icewm instead. See if either of those work.

- Phil -
    I will try that.

Also is there any good rdp programs I can use in icewm?