Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Awesome work rod, if we can get compache support when needed built into uberkernal working as flawlessly as uber does now... Words cant even express the greatness. Thanks for everything.
    Installed per instructions, 2 PDK games launch-able, trying to launch 3rd gives TMC error.
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by graffix31 View Post
    Awesome work rod, if we can get compache support when needed built into uberkernal working as flawlessly as uber does now... Words cant even express the greatness. Thanks for everything.
    UberKernel 1.4.x-37 and Govnah 0.4.3 have some initial compcache support that I whipped up today. The additions to the Govnah UI have not been past Oil yet, so they're likely to change when he sees my crappy Javascript

They are in the kernel alpha testing and app alpha testing feeds respectively. Note that the new ENABLE_TESTING_FEEDS feature of Meta-Doctor will enable those automatically when Preware is installed (Meta-Doctor can now automatically install Preware too).

I've intentionally make the compcache settings *not* stick yet, as I'm not really happy with the behaviour when both memory and swap get full (that's when you really *do* want to get TMC errors, to stop you crashing your kernel).

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 06/15/2010 at 09:20 AM.
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    UberKernel 1.4.x-37 and Govnah 0.4.3 have some initial compcache support that I whipped up today. The additions to the Govnah UI have not been past Oil yet, so they're likely to change when he sees my crappy Javascript

They are in the kernel alpha testing and app alpha testing feeds respectively. Note that the new ENABLE_TESTING_FEEDS feature of Meta-Doctor will enable those automatically when Preware is installed (Meta-Doctor can now automatically install Preware too).

I've intentionally make the compcache settings *not* stick yet, as I'm not really happy with the behaviour when both memory and swap get full (that's when you really *do* want to get TMC errors, to stop you crashing your kernel).

-- Rod
    If someone manages to fill both RAM and swap then they deserve to have a crashing Pre. . that's like 35+ cards opened (48 in my testing).
    Live free or DIE!
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpsycho View Post
    If someone manages to fill both RAM and swap then they deserve to have a crashing Pre. . that's like 35+ cards opened (48 in my testing).
    Just curious what kinda cards open? I know people have said compcache is allowing multiple 3d games running without crash. Just wondering what you had open when having 48 open.

I wouldn't think you would in testing, but I know some cats open 40 web browsers to just the bookmarks page and count that as cards open.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Just curious what kinda cards open? I know people have said compcache is allowing multiple 3d games running without crash. Just wondering what you had open when having 48 open.

I wouldn't think you would in testing, but I know some cats open 40 web browsers to just the bookmarks page and count that as cards open.
    I had 2 3D games open, 1 broswer, and a crap load of various apps like google maps, Engadget, camera, facebook, a few weather apps, Yelp, Forbes, Fandango, etc... all at once. The phone became outright unusable. I wouldnt know who would do this, besides showing off. Hence why i say they deserve a real ugly Linux kernel error before being sucked into a black hole.
    Live free or DIE!
    LOL, good stuff.
    Wow, this is major stuff you are working on. This would be an amazing improvement to get rid of the TMC error and the browser gray/refresh issue. Holy cow that would be awesome!!
    I am going to be experimenting with this tonight.

I am curious, how much of the improvement is from compcache and how much from the TMC processing that Rod changed? Is it possible to run this Kernel without enabling compcache?
    Major props to rwhitby and others working on it, but I'm thinking that Palm should really take the trouble to optimize their own OS in this key area. Do we know if 1.4.5 will improve things?
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by nyquistJack View Post
    I am going to be experimenting with this tonight.

I am curious, how much of the improvement is from compcache and how much from the TMC processing that Rod changed? Is it possible to run this Kernel without enabling compcache?
    In UberKernel, compcache is not loaded by default (to comply with the 7 principles at http://bit.ly/next-gen-kernels ) - you have to explicitly switch it on and off using Govnah 0.4.3

So you should do the experiment and report your results.

-- Rod
  12.    #32  

I was running three 3D games (Need For Speed, Nova and Hawx) and opening the fourth game is what pushed it over the edge in my testing.

-- Rod
    To be honest the spirit of open source is that everyone who wants to get their hands into the mix can jump in. Since it benefits everyone I see no reason to think that palm should have been the ones to have figured all this out and done it. Remember due to the open source they can test all this stuff and see how they want to go about implementing some or all of the stuff officially if they want to. In the mean time we have a very good option for users to use. If we get the word out, one way or another most everyone will be using it whether it is made official or not. This is why I love and support open source.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    I'm not saying that everyone shouldn't be allowed to modify things, but rather that the TMC problem is a crucial issue that Palm should be addressing.
    @ unixpsycho, I've done that all the time as a test for myself. My pre crashes almost @ 41 cards open,including three pdk games. The thing I love about the phone cpu is that it can take substantial heat,and once you get any freezes just pull the battery out... "wham" back to normal. I really don't think any of these kernel can really "Brick" my phone. :-)
  16.    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Grace View Post
    Major props to rwhitby and others working on it, but I'm thinking that Palm should really take the trouble to optimize their own OS in this key area. Do we know if 1.4.5 will improve things?
    Note that Marco (unixpsycho) is the man behind the compcache find - compcache itself is used in many other distributions (e.g. EasyPeasy Ubuntu for eeePC and the Edubuntu installer) - open source reuse at it's finest.

I'm just the guy who makes it able to be switched on and off on the fly, works out how to autobuild it, and adds the support to control it into UberKernel and Govnah

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    I was running three 3D games (Need For Speed, Nova and Hawx) and opening the fourth game is what pushed it over the edge in my testing.

-- Rod
    Good to know.

In regards to the crash, what is the device response? Also what is the needed user action, battery pull? Not that I would ever think I would push it that far, but you never know.
  18.    #38  
    Good to know.

In regards to the crash, what is the device response? Also what is the needed user action, battery pull? Not that I would ever think I would push it that far, but you never know.
    The device does an emergency reboot without warning.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by rush View Post
    @ unixpsycho, I've done that all the time as a test for myself. My pre crashes almost @ 41 cards open,including three pdk games. The thing I love about the phone cpu is that it can take substantial heat,and once you get any freezes just pull the battery out... "wham" back to normal. I really don't think any of these kernel can really "Brick" my phone. :-)
    "Bricking" the phone is really hard to do... you can blow away the modem firmware or blow away the bootloader. *then* you have a bricked Pre.
    Live free or DIE!
  20.    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpsycho View Post
    "Bricking" the phone is really hard to do... you can blow away the modem firmware or blow away the bootloader. *then* you have a bricked Pre.
    Actually, we can repair a trashed bootloader too. But the modem firmware definitely will brick it. Lucky no-one knows how to reflash that area

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast