Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    New thread here.

Mods I can't find out how to delete this thread I don't see the option in edit anymore. Feel free to lock or delete it.
    Last edited by nullr; 06/18/2010 at 12:59 AM.
    Thanks for stepping up to the plate and leading by example.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  3. R_E
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    Can some on with the torrent file seed? I am currently getting zero download speed. thanks
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by R_E View Post
    Can some on with the torrent file seed? I am currently getting zero download speed. thanks
    Sorry I was experimenting on resizing the file from within windows to save time. I forgot to start the torrent up again. Ill have to find someone else to seed this aswell.
    Just out of curiosity, how does opening files work? Does vlc detect the file system in the Pre normally so the standard "open" dialog box works, or is there some hackery involved in making it work? Sorry if this question was answered somewhere else.

On a side note, have you used vlc to play enough media files that you can gauge its battery usage and compare it to the existing media players?
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Armchair Commando View Post
    Just out of curiosity, how does opening files work? Does vlc detect the file system in the Pre normally so the standard "open" dialog box works, or is there some hackery involved in making it work? Sorry if this question was answered somewhere else.

On a side note, have you used vlc to play enough media files that you can gauge its battery usage and compare it to the existing media players?
    I just did a quick test and I'm trying other stuff so I really don't know about battery. It detects the chroot system so you can't reach your Pre usb partition. I'm sure there can be a work around but I just set up a vlc media share on my computer and used the phone to stream it.
  7. R_E
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    K so finally got this to work. Few comments problems and questions.
    First, thanks so much nullr for such a comprehensive tutorial.
    I can confirm that VLC has no access to the regular usb partition.
    I was able to get it to play a mp3 file from a http addess.
    Warning! don't turn on visualizations, it super crashes the phone.
    Question: how do you type a "~" within the x server environment?
    the files on my comcast fire locker require that symbol.
    Question2: Despite typing export DISPLAY=:0.0 , the windows manager and vlc always run in portrait. Is therre any way to get them to run in landscape?
    Question 3: Is ther any easy way to load firefox of a similar possibly lighter browser?

edit:So any video seems to result in a crash for me
    Last edited by R_E; 06/14/2010 at 09:46 PM.
    Like rwhitby said, thanks for stepping up and posting these instructions for everyone's use.

FWIW mplayer also works, although when I tested with it I had some a/v sync issues? Are those present in vlc?

At the time I had the theory that it was fault of something I did with the way I render the X server -- but haven't had a chance to validate/investigate that too much, but just FYI.

I don't have my debian chroot handy presently since I'm travelling, but does vlc suffer from the same issues? Just curious
    Quake
    thread
    VisualBoyAdvance
    thread App Cat
    X11/XServer/Xterm
    thread
    SuperNES
    thread App Cat

If you like my work, please consider donating or buying VBA!
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    K so finally got this to work. Few comments problems and questions.
    First, thanks so much nullr for such a comprehensive tutorial.
    I can confirm that VLC has no access to the regular usb partition.
    I was able to get it to play a mp3 file from a http addess.
    Warning! don't turn on visualizations, it super crashes the phone.
    Question: how do you type a "~" within the x server environment?
    the files on my comcast fire locker require that symbol.
    Question2: Despite typing export DISPLAY=:0.0 , the windows manager and vlc always run in portrait. Is therre any way to get them to run in landscape?
    Question 3: Is ther any easy way to load firefox of a similar possibly lighter browser?

edit:So any video seems to result in a crash for me
    Q1: Its not here so I dont know. Have you tried tinyurl?

Q2: You need to change the config for xorg server. Look at the tutorial search for landscape.

Q3: Ill let you know if I find one.

Found one epiphany. To install "apt-get install epiphany-browser"
    I installed on ssh and it had a config thing not sure how this would render in novacom or xterm. I just selected the default choice by hitting enter so you don't need to move the selection anyway just hit enter.

The install was taking long so I killed lunamgr to speed things up. Not a necessary step feel free to skip it if you don't want to lose phone functions.

sudo /sbin/initctl stop LunaSysMgr

To start luna

sudo /sbin/initctl start LunaSysMgr

It think its snappier than the native browser. Loads MUCH faster than iceweasel. If anyone finds anything better please post. I might try opera or chrome. But I doubt they will be as fast.

If you have a big partition you can install transmission to torrent.

apt-get install transmission

You can just store the files rather than stream them. Although you can just use vlc to host files.

Im going to try vlc again later. Im thinking the issue might do with ram. Are you using the pre or pre+?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by nullr; 06/15/2010 at 12:48 AM.
  10. R_E
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    I'm on a Sprint Pre.

I've been playing around an i have been able to install a few programs (though the screen is too small to use them). Just type "apt-get install" then one of these:
    iceweasel (firefox)
    gimp (image editor)
    mplayer (like vlc but renders as a black image om my pre)

Found one epiphany. To install "apt-get install epiphany-browser"
    I installed on ssh and it had a config thing not sure how this would render in novacom or xterm. I just selected the default choice by hitting enter so you don't need to move the selection anyway just hit enter.
    it renders in xterm just like your picture
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    I'm on a Sprint Pre.

I've been playing around an i have been able to install a few programs (though the screen is too small to use them). Just type "apt-get install" then one of these:
    iceweasel (firefox)
    gimp (image editor)
    mplayer (like vlc but renders as a black image om my pre)

it renders in xterm just like your picture
    Good but news on epiphany. Bad news I tested vlc and after about a minute it does crash. SSH shows that its the ffmpeg decoder

It is potentially dangerous, and might not even work properly.
    [00000305] ffmpeg decoder error: more than 5 seconds of late video -> dropping frame (computer too slow ?)
    [00000305] ffmpeg decoder error: more than 5 seconds of late video -> dropping frame (computer too slow ?)
    I think its a ram issue as the phone barely has any left. Suddenly I care that verizon gets more ram. Can someone with pre+ verify this? I might just delete the thread make a new one with a different name as installing vlc just seem like a let down now. Is there a way I can rename without deleting?
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dtzWill View Post
    Like rwhitby said, thanks for stepping up and posting these instructions for everyone's use.

FWIW mplayer also works, although when I tested with it I had some a/v sync issues? Are those present in vlc?

At the time I had the theory that it was fault of something I did with the way I render the X server -- but haven't had a chance to validate/investigate that too much, but just FYI.

I don't have my debian chroot handy presently since I'm travelling, but does vlc suffer from the same issues? Just curious
    No problem you guys have done way more work on this. Does it crash after a while? If so it might have the same issue as vlc. It crashed after the decoder could not keep the fps with the audio. Even without window manager running it happens. It does stay even but eventually video freezes and if you dont kill it fast enough it will crash the Pre making it do a full reboot. Would running something like this (without the doom part) let me run the window manager without luna? I dont mind losing the phone functions for sometime I just want to see if this will work.
  13. R_E
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    so quick comment, it you download transmission (torrent program) wouldnt all the downloaded files be stuck in the debsmall.img image?