Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    Probably my biggest complaint about the pre since I bought it a yr ago is the speed, by far! I have been reluctant to install the kernel because I don't want to void my warranty. I have a couple questions that I was hoping someone could answer, because I am so frustrated with the slow speed and don't foresee palm or HP to make any significant advancements in this area any time soon. After all, how long has it been since the last update?? They are as follows:

- Is there a thread someone could point me to with some step by step instructions to install, couldn't really find a good one. Is it something you can do as simple as through preware, or do you have to use webos install? I see the Kernel in preware, but don't know if it is that easy. I also read something about a governor program you have to install to control the settings, how do you install this?

- They say it will void your warranty. But if you uninstall it, would it still void your warranty. Another words, once you install it the first time, would they know it was installed even if you uninstall it? When preparing for system updates, is it complicated to uninstall, or pretty easy?

- So far, does anyone have any horror stories with the Kernel? Is it a sure shot? Are there any downsides?

Thanks everyone for your insights!
    Installing it is easy. You just have to go into preware and install it. There is a program called "govnah" that allows you to actually adjust the overclocking and monitor temperature. Technically it will void the warranty, and it has been said that overclocking will shorten the lifespan on your Pre's processor. It is unlikely that technicians from Sprint, Verizon, ATT, or Palm would know that you have the uberkernel installed, but if you homebrew you should probably doctor your phone before taking it to them anyways.

I hope this helps, I have been running overclock kernels since they were released to the general Precentral public and I have no horror stories to report. If you want to do further reading, the following link is a great place to start.
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...er-kernel.html
    For govnah settings, look to this thread. Personally, I like the settings that downclock when the screen is off.
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...berkernel.html
    Last edited by Armchair Commando; 06/05/2010 at 08:52 AM. Reason: adding another helpful link
    It doesnt void your warranty if they never know that you're using it. If anything really terrible goes wrong with the phone and you cant get it to turn on, most likely, they cant get it to turn on either. Basically, if you have a problem with the Pre and you decide to take it to a store, do a full erase and doctor it. They'll never know.
    Global Posts
    331 Global Posts
    Uberkernel should not void your warranty. Overclocking could void your warranty if overclocking harmed your Pre and if the carrier knew you had overclocked.

You can install Uberkernel and Govnah and not change the default speed settings. But the two do allow you to tweak things to make them run better.

You might, for example, want to use the screenstate setting to speed up the change from idle at 125 mhz to 500 mhz when the screen is turned on. You would have a more responsive system with no overclocking at all.
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    thanks guys, so I download the Uberkernel not the palm kernel, and then govnah and I should be all set to go right? And then to uninstall do it simply by uninstalling it through preware, the same you would do for a regular patch? I don't have to do anything with the palm kernel right?
    Global Posts
    331 Global Posts
    Yes, just install the Uberkernel and govnah.

If you decide to remove Uberkernel, I suggest that you then install the recovery kernel since Uberkernel does not seem to uninstall cleanly and otherwise you may have difficulty installing Uberkernel again if you decide to re-install it.
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    thanks, when you install the recovery kernel, do you have to uninstall it if you want to install the uberkernel again?
    Global Posts
    331 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by csal80 View Post
    thanks, when you install the recovery kernel, do you have to uninstall it if you want to install the uberkernel again?
    No
    @csal80,believe me that you won't have any regrets using the uber kernel in overclocking your phone. I assure you that it's 100% safe. Enjoy!
    @csal80,believe me that you won't have any regrets using the uber kernel in overclocking your phone. I assure you that it's 100% safe. Enjoy!
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    one more question guys, does it drain your battery faster than usual?
    Quote Originally Posted by csal80 View Post
    one more question guys, does it drain your battery faster than usual?
    I don't overclock anymore because I have found that the newer solutions (UberKernel etc.) don't play nice with my particular device, BUT used to run my phone at a permanent 800MHz for over a month. I actually found that, if anything, battery life became better. At first this made no sense to me, but then somebody introduced me to the Race To Idle:

Quote Originally Posted by www.lesswatts.org
    "The principle is the same one cheetahs live by--run hard, and then sleep hard and long. Processors tend to be so good at saving power during idle, that often it's better to go as fast as possible so that you can then be idle longer."
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    so in everyone's opinion, what is the best setting to have a great balance between power and battery savings?
    I see the post for the Super PreKernal by Caj2008 is shut down. Has anyone else picked up the torch to continue the CPU Overclocking/Scaling?