Global Posts
    521 Global Posts
    I have the Uber-Kernel and Govnar install on my AT&T Palm Pre Plus.

Now when I had 720mhz, and the CPUScaler patch install, I did not get any heat about 35c MAYBE.

Now with the Uber-Kernel and Govnar, I am getting heat in the 45c sometimes 47c range. Also, the batter life is not as good as it was with 720mhz and CPUScaler.

Am I doing something wrong? Do I not have the right settings?

I have min (125) max (720) and Setspeed (720)

I would really like to get back to the low temp, high battery life I had before.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vkitty View Post

Now when I had 720mhz, and the CPUScaler patch install, I did not get any heat about 35c MAYBE.

Now with the Uber-Kernel and Govnar, I am getting heat in the 45c sometimes 47c range. Also, the batter life is not as good as it was with 720mhz and CPUScaler.

I would really like to get back to the low temp, high battery life I had before.
    Try Screenstate with Min set at 500Mhz and Max at 720 or 800Mhz. This should work better for you.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Global Posts
    521 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vza33 View Post
    Try Screenstate with Min set at 500Mhz and Max at 720 or 800Mhz. This should work better for you.
    Thank you...

Is there a list somewhere that tells what each Governor setting/state does?

There are at least 6 that I counted.
    several items...

Govna measures the CPU temp, previously you may have been viewing the battery temp. I've noticed that they are about the same when the phone is cool, but when it starts to heat up, the CPU temp gets hotter than the battery by as much as 3-5 deg c. The temp warning patch (highly recommend) is looking at battery temp, btw.

Second, make sure you aren't leaving govna open. It is taking samples every second and that will slow down your phone - and use your CPU.

Third, try using 500 as the minimum. I've read where some think that the effort to get from a lower speed to 800 may take more power than using 500.

Make sure you haven't changed anything else, and visit the many threads on tips to save your battery. As you've played with your Pre, you may well have made other changes that impact battery, like adding email accounts, using the bluetooth and GPS radios, or putting jstop on automatic background cleanup. All of those impact battery drain.

There is a great app called battery monitor that you should get to keep track of battery drain while you are messing with this stuff.

Visit those battery threads for more info, and let me know if you need more info the info I've posted here...
    several items...

Govna measures the CPU temp, previously you may have been viewing the battery temp. I've noticed that they are about the same when the phone is cool, but when it starts to heat up, the CPU temp gets hotter than the battery by as much as 3-5 deg c. The temp warning patch (highly recommend) is looking at battery temp, btw.

Second, make sure you aren't leaving govna open. It is taking samples every second and that will slow down your phone - and use your CPU.

Third, try using 500 as the minimum. I've read where some think that the effort to get from a lower speed to 800 may take more power than using 500.

Make sure you haven't changed anything else, and visit the many threads on tips to save your battery. As you've played with your Pre, you may well have made other changes that impact battery, like adding email accounts, using the bluetooth and GPS radios, or putting jstop on automatic background cleanup. All of those impact battery drain.

There is a great app called battery monitor that you should get to keep track of battery drain while you are messing with this stuff.

Visit those battery threads for more info, and let me know if you need more info the info I've posted here...
    FYI, here is a post form a thread on tips/tricks. It is an example of what I just posted:

"uberkernel with governer set to screenstate (off 250mhz) really helps battery life. signed into batterydrainer IM+ battery loses only 0.63%/hr"
    Thank you...

Is there a list somewhere that tells what each Governor setting/state does?

There are at least 6 that I counted.
    The main post on the official Govna thread should provide that info, and the developers hang out there to provide answers...

Many including myself have had experiences where scaling with variable frequencies causes excessive heat. I have found that using a fixed frequency results in less heat, much like the previous 720 and 800 kernels. So I run on performance 800 min/max.
    I have just got at&t palm pre plus and I have been trying to get to 250 MHz but it will only go to 500. I tried other settings and sometimes I can get to lower than 500, but not for screenstate. I have been usibg conservative and its alright I'm afraid it might be draining morethan screenstate.
    my question is why can't my screenstate go to 250 or 125
    iPhone 1gen august 2007- may 2010
    Repaired: headphone jack twice. Buttons and back cover once. Screen has a crack.

Palm Pre Plus may 2010-now

LOVE IT
    Quote Originally Posted by cursiv View Post
    I have just got at&t palm pre plus and I have been trying to get to 250 MHz but it will only go to 500. I tried other settings and sometimes I can get to lower than 500, but not for screenstate. I have been usibg conservative and its alright I'm afraid it might be draining morethan screenstate.
    my question is why can't my screenstate go to 250 or 125
    Did you restart your phone after installing? Did you install Uberkernel AND Govna?

It sounds like you missed a step.
    yes I have been running uberkernal and govnah and restarted plenty of times...
    iPhone 1gen august 2007- may 2010
    Repaired: headphone jack twice. Buttons and back cover once. Screen has a crack.

Palm Pre Plus may 2010-now

LOVE IT
    Try keeping the minimum setting at 500, some people have reported restarts when the minimum setting is below 500.
    <<Thread Moved>>
    Sprint|Samsung Epic