1.    #1  
    I've really tried to find one clear differentiation. I have both on my Pre, but am still not clear which one, or both, would be best to use in terms of different kinds of failure (like doctoring).
    Both would be best to use. They save different things but you can almost get a complete restoration when you use both. Pre Backup utility saves some critical things that Save Restore doesn't yet like text messages, browsing history etc. Save Restore saves the databases of many apps and some crucial palm files.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    Both would be best to use. They save different things but you can almost get a complete restoration when you use both. Pre Backup utility saves some critical things that Save Restore doesn't yet like text messages, browsing history etc. Save Restore saves the databases of many apps and some crucial palm files.
    Thanks. What I'm wondering is what specific steps to take after a doctoring or on getting a new phone to restore it, using both apps? Does the order make a difference?
    Not that I am aware of. I doctored during the app catalog mess up and I decided to play with Pre Backup to see what it does. I was impressed it redid my emails, text messages contacts etc. It is suggested that you use that same version of webos when backing up someone else said they were successful going from Pre to Pixi. But Prebackup puts quite a bit of your critical files back. Save Restore puts your information back into certain apps that are supported. I restored the Pre Backup first then used Save Restore to put my data back to my apps. When using Save Restore I had to open the apps first so a database can be created then Save Restore replaced the database. Both great apps and with the latest Pre Backup you can select what you want to backup.
    What app/patch are you guys talking about that Saves/Restores? Im familiar with the built in Backup that Pre comes with, and would appreciate being able to do the Save?Restore thing for info in my other apps. Especially with SpashID!
    Last edited by teejay69; 05/23/2010 at 07:39 AM. Reason: Spellin
    I think I found it in Preware! God I love you Internals guys!! Its good to hear that PALM supports your efforts! If only a decent PIM or Home page would come out of Preware I'd do back flips!
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay69 View Post
    What app/patch are you guys talking about that Saves/Restores? Im familiar with the built in Backup that Pre comes with, and would appreciate being able to do the Save?Restore thing for info in my other apps. Especially with SpashID!
    In Preware you would want to download Save/Restore and Pre Backup Utility. Diffferent than the pre backup that comes with the phone.
    my understanding is that save/restore focuses on backing up preware apps/patches, and data from supported apps (like games) that aren't stores in the user accessible usb drive area. I haven't tried the other yet, but it sounds great for contacts, messages, etc.
    I did what I thought I had to in order to restore as much as I could to a replacement Pre Plus - on one being replaced, run backup, and make a full copy of my USB... now I discover there was more I could have done - using these two apps. :-( ...and that the original stuff is now seemingly gone after connecting the new phone to the Palm Profile. Ugh.
    1. Anyone know of anything I can do now, after the fact, to restore my sms messages from the USB copy or otherwise?
    2. Is there anyway to backup/restore wifi wep keys?
    did you use the backup utility? That should have saved your messages and everything else it did for me.
    i tried the backup utility but it didnt work for me when I tried to restore after getting my new pre. I probably did something wrong though
    What will NOT be restored by both of these solutions?
    Quote Originally Posted by pbgiv View Post
    I did what I thought I had to in order to restore as much as I could to a replacement Pre Plus - on one being replaced, run backup, and make a full copy of my USB... now I discover there was more I could have done - using these two apps. :-( ...and that the original stuff is now seemingly gone after connecting the new phone to the Palm Profile. Ugh.
    1. Anyone know of anything I can do now, after the fact, to restore my sms messages from the USB copy or otherwise?
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    did you use the backup utility? That should have saved your messages and everything else it did for me.
    No. I didn't know it existed until after the fact. I read multiple places to backup the entire USB, but didn't see anything about these two apps.

So what can be manually restored from my USB? Any app data or messages? Wifi Keys?
    Quote Originally Posted by pbgiv View Post
    How do you make a full copy of your USB? Thanks

I'm not offended by all the dumb blonde jokes because I know I'm not dumb... and I also know that I'm not blonde. Dolly Parton
    I have a question about Pre Backup. I downloaded it, and then it said Java restart required. Did that. Couldn't see that it really did anything. No like a Luna restart - phone turns off, goes black for some time. Didn't see it in my launcher (Save/Restore was there), so I uninstalled and tried again. Same thing. Preware says it's installed, but in my launcher list of apps, it's not there, and of course, no launcher icon. Am I missing something? Anybody got a clue? Thanks.

Never mind When I lost Preware I went through webosqi and got everything I needed. Thought my phone was falling apart for a while there.
    Last edited by Daisys Mom; 06/28/2010 at 08:57 PM.

I'm not offended by all the dumb blonde jokes because I know I'm not dumb... and I also know that I'm not blonde. Dolly Parton
    Quote Originally Posted by Daisys Mom View Post
    How do you make a full copy of your USB? Thanks
    Copy of USB... Well, there may be a better way, but what I did was simply connect my Pre to my pc via USB, and copy and paste a duplicate of virtually every file and folder on the Pre to an archive/backup folder I keep on my pc.

As for the Backup Utility icon issue, I think, that while it initiates the Java restart, it takes a full restart from the Device Info menu for the app to appear in the launcher. I think I recall the same issue.