Page 9 of 33 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikem07 View Post
    So what is the difference between this Preware 1.0 & the previous versions?
    No more ...
    Dave Cook | Fort Myers, Florida | Palm pre | Touchstone | Vaja iVolution Deco
    I like webos qi because i can be charging my phone while installing things. i just wish the two worked together a little better so that everything played a little nicer and you should get updates on certain patches that were installed with QI to read properly on Preware and saved packages. Also wish qi came with all the same feeds as preware out of the gate but i guess that can be fixed. All that said i use preware as much as possible now to make my post dr. visit as painless as possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooknn View Post
    You don't need WOSQI to install Preware.
    Care to ellaborate?
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    Care to ellaborate?
    Sorry. From Application:Preware - WebOS Internals

Installing Preware from Terminal, Novaterm or WebOS Quick Install "Linux Commandline"

cd /tmp
    wget http://bit.ly/preware-bootstrap
    sh preware-bootstrap

Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    webOS-QI does definitely have its uses, but Preware rules supreme.
    A major use for QI is to install Preware.
    most people will wind up installing preware using webOS QI

they both come in handy. I like the speed of things when i use webOS QI install, so when i'm at home its the way to go. On the road obviously its Preware... most of the time i install things while on the road.

If i'm not mistaken, QI and Preware can now be used interchangeably. If you install one thing using QI, you can uninstall it w/ Preware (and vice versa).
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooknn View Post
    Sorry. From /Application:Preware - WebOS Internals

Installing Preware from Terminal, Novaterm or WebOS Quick Install "Linux Commandline"

cd /tmp
    wget [URL]
    sh preware-bootstrap

Well I didn't know that. By terminal are we referring to the pre application? And novaterm is a computer package?
    I find I use them both. WOSQI is a nice tool if you like to fool around with development or creating patches. You can load your own stuff or packages that might not be available (yet) OTA. Preware is obviously more convenient for just installing stuff that's available in the feeds.

It's fantastic that they've coordinated the development so they both recognize what patches you have installed.
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    I use WOSQI for things that haven't hit Preware, for older versions of patches that updates have interfered with functioning or for things that cant be installed from Preware. I open Preware every morning, as part of Mode switcher. I can hardly wait to see what is new updated. Really, I use both all the time, and both are wonderful. I have donated to all developers who have made my Pre the awesome device it is...
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    Well I didn't know that. By terminal are we referring to the pre application? And novaterm is a computer package?
    I use terminal on my MacBook and execute /opt/nova/bin/novaterm to get into my pre. Info on Novaterm here. Right now my pre is plugged in via USB and I'm editing text-edit-autoreplace as well as backing up over the air in a few minutes to a shared drive on my Power Mac via Samba. It's a beautiful thing
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    I use Preware for patches and apps. I use WOSQI (older version) for installing my themes since I remove the icons for apps I don't need but have included in my uploads to PreThemer.
    Hello,

I finally got around to installing Preware last night and I have experienced excessive battery drain today. I went from 100% to 40% in about 4 hours this morning while barely using the phone. I recharged to 75% and I am now back to 45% in about 2 hours, again while barely using the phone. The only other thing I installed last night was Music Remix. Does this sound normal and is there something I have to configure to minimize drain?

I restarted the phone a few times which fixed excessive drain in the past. That does not work this time.

Thanks for any comments.
    700P...755...Pre+...Pre 2...Touchpad
    Preware itself would not "drain" the battery. It is simply an "app" that is a more versatile 'App Catalog' app. So, there must be something else besides just the Preware itself. You have to launch Preware for it to search feeds, etc. So, it is inert while just 'sitting there'
    Perhaps there's another setting you changed without realizing it. This thread may help. http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...life-tips.html
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Just installed this myself and I'm down 5% in 30 minutes with no use at all. I'll have to keep an eye on mine.
    Preware itself DOES drain the battery - when you're using it. Like, if you're downloading 10 apps and installing 10 patches in 20 minutes, I guarantee you'll have lost more battery than you would believe just by doing that. Simply because you're downloading a lot of data OTA and installing programs, which is also costly. But that's beside the point because I don't believe you've been running it constantly.

It's a really weird issue that you're having there. It's DEFINITELY not Preware, and not Remix either. Hmm. Anything else that you've changed since then?

Not that it really matters since Preware can't be the culprit here, but installing the newest version of Preware (it hit the 1.0 milestone today) really seems to have helped my battery life along - the old version came with an always-on service that had to run for Preware to work, while the new version is integrated with that service. Updating appears to have given me a bump in battery life - from 4%/h to about 3%/h. So, like I said, not really Preware, but hey, update anyway.

ACTUALLY, why don't you just uninstall Preware and the Package Manager Service using webOS QI and see whether your battery drain issue persists? I'll eat my hat if it was Preware, but who knows, the strangest unexpected bugs have cropped up in singular unlucky devices...
    I just updated my preware on my phone to 1.0. when my phone turned off to do a luna restart and then back on, my preware icon on my phone was gone. all of my patches and apps i downloaded with preware are still there and working. i was just curious if any one else has had this happen and if anyone had any suggestions on what to do. thanks for your input.
    Go to the palm app catologue, tap the icon for your apps, have a look if the preware package comes up here, if it is try rebooting the device to see if the icon now comes up in the launcher.
    also see if preware comes up in universal search
    It doesn't come up in either.
    You best try rwhitby on this one then, I should imagine it be safe to redownload it through wosqi if its not recognised there as well but see if rods got anything to say about it.
Page 9 of 33 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast