Page 29 of 33 FirstFirst ... 1924252627282930313233 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kid james View Post
    There is a new update now, 1.1.0 and I just downloaded it. Is that the same one as you are speaking of?
    yup... that's the one
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    mine says the service is older than preware
    Once you are in Hell, Only the Devil can help you

Click To See My Themes

If you have any theme requests email me at Pardoe@live.com
    Quote Originally Posted by tolos View Post
    I have been reading the site for a couple of months and finally figured I'd join. I have the Pre (sprint) and want to use Preware. I have read the threads about this, but before I install it, is this a common occurrence to have have problems like this? If there is a problem, do you have to use the Palm Doctor, or can you just uninstall the application?

Thanks for helping out the long-time lurker and newbie
    -tolos
    Welcome to PreCentral.

This is not a common occurrence. The good news is that its is generally very easy to uninstall and reinstall an app. It is also good news that WebOS Doctor is available when we really screw things up.
    Yeah was kinda worried when the gf said she didn't see any themes in Preware after we wiped and reloaded her Pixi.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    hmm i cant find themes on preware. running the latest version also.
    the newest preware (version 1x) default the theme feds to off because they take so long to load.
    I just installed Preware with the latest version of WebOS Quick Installer and now my Pre just says 'Phone Offline' in the corner.. did I do something wrong? How could installing a homebrew app completely take a phone offline?

Here was my install process:

- enabled Dev Mode
    - downloaded and installed WebOS Quick Installer 3.12
    - (installed Glass Effect Suite)
    - downloaded and installed Preware v1.1.0 via WebOs QI

Upon running Preware I was trying to figure out why 'Package Updates' and Available Updates' were greyed out until I realized that it was because my phone had gone offline somewhere during the installation. Makes no sense to me. Also, i read in a Preware installation tutorial that you have to download Preware AND Package Manager through WebOs QI but I did not see a line for Package Manager in the 'WebOs Internals Feed (all)'.

Did I miss a step? And when should I take the phone out of developer mode? Sorry, I'm just really confused and frustrated now.
    look in WebOs Internals Feed (pre) feed and install gnu lsdiff and diffstat and package manager service and try again all of these are in both WebOs Internals Feed (all) and WebOs Internals Feed (pre) feeds . let me know if this works for you
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsetter883 View Post
    I just installed Preware with the latest version of WebOS Quick Installer and now my Pre just says 'Phone Offline' in the corner.. did I do something wrong? How could installing a homebrew app completely take a phone offline?

Here was my install process:

- enabled Dev Mode
    - downloaded and installed WebOS Quick Installer 3.12
    - (installed Glass Effect Suite)
    - downloaded and installed Preware v1.1.0 via WebOs QI

Upon running Preware I was trying to figure out why 'Package Updates' and Available Updates' were greyed out until I realized that it was because my phone had gone offline somewhere during the installation. Makes no sense to me. Also, i read in a Preware installation tutorial that you have to download Preware AND Package Manager through WebOs QI but I did not see a line for Package Manager in the 'WebOs Internals Feed (all)'.

Did I miss a step? And when should I take the phone out of developer mode? Sorry, I'm just really confused and frustrated now.
    Well, the first question is whether you can turn the phone back on again or not. Sometimes a Java restart will take your phone offline temporarily, but it should come back on. If it's not coming back on, you could try going into Airplane mode and then back out to see if it comes back. Sounds like a hopefully temporary glitch to me that will also hopefully not show up again. If airplane mode doesn't fix it, I would restart. If that doesn't fix it, report back so we can consider what else to do for you.

Preware now includes the package manager service (as of 1.0) so you don't need to do that separately. WOSQI should also automatically prompt you for lsdiff and gnupatch, which it certainly did if you were able to install the glass effect.

So I think you're okay, assuming you can get your phone back online. Please let us know if you can't.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    hi, going to try the above but i dont see any line for package manager service anywhere in webosqi 3.12

edit: is there a way to know if i was prompted for lsdiff and gnupatch? i honestly don't remember being prompted for them but perhaps i was. any way to see if they are/were installed?
    A week or so ago when Palm had their app catalog mishap, my phone asked me to sign into my Palm Profile. When I did this, I basically ended up with a new phone and all my apps had to redownload.

The only thing that was missing was Preware, although all my patches are still there.

I've tried using WebOSQuickInstall, and it acts as if it's going to install it, but nothing goes over to my Pre. Also, it's showing nothing's installed when I look at the device info.

Will I have to Doctor my phone to get this to work properly? If I do this, will I have to again sign into my Palm Profile? The reason I ask is I don't live in a Sprint coverage area, so I'd have to wait until I go to work or something to do this.
    okay so i downloaded gnupatch, lsdiff and diffstat... installed them and fired up Preware, got a bunch of rapid 'bad address' error messages upon load screen but eventually Preware came up though took my phone offline again. Preware seems to be taking my phone offline whenever i touch it.

i was able to get back online after enabling then disabling airplane mode but once i do anything with Preware it takes my phone offline. does any of this have to do with dev mode being on/off?
    no it does not but i would uninstall all of that and redo it package manager service is in there with the preware in the same feed you may have got a bad download. you should delete webos quick install and go redownload it and try again . it should work .
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    and webos will not recognize your phone as attached if its not in dev mode so thats not the problem.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    okay, i think i fixed whatever this mystery issue was.

here is what i did:
    - uninstalled Preware via WebOS Quick Installer
    - took my phone out of developer mode [re-boot]
    - put phone back in developer mode [re-boot]
    - downloaded WebOS Doctor .jar file* for my AT&T Pre from here
    - created new folder on desktop and put both WebOs Doctor and WebOS Quick Install in same folder (made sure NOT to run WebOS Doctor!)
    - opened WebOS Quick Install from folder
    - downloaded and installed Preware

* WebOS Doctor downloads in the background upon first running WebOS Quick Install however downloading it seperately and putting it in a folder with the Quick Install .jar seems to yield better Quick Install operation.

Now when I view the available Application Packages I noticed I am seeing a lot of 'junk' categories. For example there are 28 apps for Productivity and 1 app for 'Produktivitt'. There's also over 100 apps for Reference and 1 app for 'Referenz'. Not that foreign language apps are junk necessarily, but is this an all or nothing deal -or- can i customize for, say, English language apps only?

Also when loading Preware, it downloads a bunch of Package Information etc from Precentral and Palm catalog yada yada yada. I tried switching Application updates to Manual Only but it still takes a good 2 or 3 minutes for Preware to load even with the Manual option checked (though a little better than the 5 minutes it took before I selected Manual).
    Last edited by jetsetter883; 05/23/2010 at 09:46 PM.
    I had a little trouble yesterday installing Preware also. Turns ot WOSI has posted updated instructions. I can't put in the url cause I don't have enough posts, but hopefully someone else can. www dot webos-internals dot org forwardslash wiki forwardslash Preware (capital P in Preware)

Hope you get up an running soon! These Devs rock so I'm sure they'll get you fixed up.
    My bad. I was a bit late with my post, but it sounds like you got Preware working anyway.

As for the unwanted categories, I don't see a filtering option to get rid of those.

You can get rid of the feeds you don't want with the "manage feeds" option. Just turn off the ones you don't want.
    Last edited by oman2u; 05/23/2010 at 10:16 PM.
    Did you do a Luna restart right before trying to install via WosQI?
    What version of WOSQI are you using? Needs to be the latest version 3.12.
    It restarted after I turned on developer mode. And I am using version 3.12.

Any other ideas?
    Wow. Nevermind. I thought I remembered how to do this. I was selecting USB Drive instead of Just Charge. Everything's working great now.