Page 18 of 33 FirstFirst ... 8131415161718192021222328 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    yes yes yes...its a must if you own a pre...i just can't believe that I took me 3 months to install preware and nw that I did I will never go stock
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    get.preware.org
    Quote Originally Posted by outsidaz2k View Post
    SUCCESS!!! you are the friggin' man pip lol.. hey you have any idea when they gonna have the vba working on the pixi ?
    As far I'm aware the vba is working, I have not seen if it is limited to the pre or not.
    Their wiki page is http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/Application:VBA
    On preware go to list of evrything at the bottom of the main screen, when in the list of everything start typing visualboy and it will come up.
    You will have to get your own roms for the game and save them to your phone, this thread might help you http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pre/237750-im-sorry-i-just-installed-visual-gameboy-have-no-idea-where-find-roms.html

Hope that's the answer you were looking for.
    Well, you can any mp3 at all as long as it's SOMEWHERE on your USB disk. In the ringtone picker, you will find a little "+" icon in the lower-left corner. Tap that, and you'll be able to select from ANY mp3 present. If you have 1000 mp3s and know which one you want, Just Start Typing -- the Palm mantra -- comes in handy

You're not missing anything with Preware, and in fact, Preware is the only app you'll not miss anything with as Preload et al aren't as powerful.

BTW, not having used any prior Palm devices makes webOS easier as you're starting from a clean slate. A lot of legacy PalmOS users are often mad that webOS follows entirely different premises and want their phone to be as clunky as what they're used to.
    Preware is the most advanced installer and is the most supported. It has a great team behind it so you get it. When you have it installed on your phone it is self-explanatory to use.

You will be able to customise the feeds within the preware by selecting preferences in the top left. I recommend switch off the palm catalogue feed, and maybe selecting free apps only, this will improve the overall speed of loading up the preware, not that its long anyway.

And just to clarify, when mhunterjr said about installing kernels. Please ignore this as the kernels are not designed for the pixi. You should attempt to install any overclocking kernel on a pixi because it will brick your device.

but anyway I hope you enjoy your phone when it comes. I advise practise using advanced gestures and universal search. They are so easy and convenient and make accessing things on your phone flow.
    So i had some hardware issues on my pre, and took it in.. i ended up getting a brand new one.. I got the latest version of quick install (preware not listed under "all feeds" you have to go to pre, so that was differant is there no package manager service?? anyways it downloaded and everything but it it is version 1.0 and it will not update. i tried doing it through the app catalog and it will tell me app updates are available but will not show me what ones need updating or the option to update.
    i dont see the visualboy come up.. i even deleted the preware meant for the pixi and installed the preware for the pre and i followed the instructions to the T... and still nada
    i also tried installing visualboy from the WebOS QI and it says "error occurred while atempting to install.."
    Thanks for the help guys. Thisforum is awesome. I can't wait for my pixi. I made a good choice getting a free pixi plus over a pre plus, right? Any other info you got for me?
    Thanks guys. I have a pixi on the way, not a pre
    Definitely worth it.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Preware=
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    Preware=
    Every time I see the title of this thread I think something close to "does a bear **** in the woods?"
    Suzuki, Read this thread and then you will know if Preware is worth using.
    http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...-telethon.html
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    I'm trying to install themes by way of the Quick Install to no avail. The package feeds won't load for some reason. I REALLY don't want to do this but I've already taken everything off of my Pixi including the Preware and Patches. I guess I will now take the Quick Install off my computer and put it back on. Can't seem to get Media Sync to work. And whenever I start adding patches then I'm not able to access my Help utility that was preinstalled on the Pixi. This is already my 2nd Pixi since I activated services last week. I'm wondering if I should try amping up the look of the phone or just leave well enough alone. Never had so much trouble with a Palm before.

UPDATE!!
    ~*~
    I took everything off my computer pertaining to WebOS. I did something terribly wrong then my phone eventually said 'Phone Offline'. After a mild panic I re-installed everything back and then ran the WebDoctor. Everything was smooth sailing from there. I was able to install the theme I had been drooling over, all the patches to make my life easier, Preware ... everything installed with no errors whatsoever. I am new to this forum so what I've written probably shouldn't even be here so I wanted everyone to disregard my earlier post. I apologize if this is the case. But I thought I would at least write what the end result was for me from staying up all night working on this. Ha. I was at my wits end earlier but now I'm very satisfied. Thanks for listening.
    Last edited by FiushaMirage; 05/16/2010 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Added new information ...
    Quote Originally Posted by FiushaMirage View Post
    I'm trying to install themes by way of the Quick Install to no avail. The package feeds won't load for some reason. I REALLY don't want to do this but I've already taken everything off of my Pixi including the Preware and Patches. I guess I will now take the Quick Install of my computer and put it back on. Can't seem to get Media Sync to work. And whenever I start adding patches then I'm not able to access my Help utility that was preinstalled on the Pixi. This is already my 2nd Pixi since I activated services last week. I'm wondering if I should try amping up the look of the phone or just leave well enough alone. Never had so much trouble with a Palm before.
    Why did you not install themes via preware? I find it much easier that way.
    And when you say you cant get media sync to work, have you got the option turned on? Go to device info app, top left corner preferences, enable media sync. Or is it a different problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by un_designer View Post
    go into preferences and turn on the feeds that contain themes.
    I'm having the same problem here, I had to webOSDoctor my phone today and when I installed preware I couldn't find the package manager service to download. Isn't that something I need to run themes? Anyway, I went into preferences like you said and turned them on and now when i run Preware Themes shows up but it's greyed out and doesn't show any themes. What am I missing here?
    I am also unable to find or install visualboy on my pixi.
    error no device detected went loading WebOs Quick Install
    Global Posts
    463 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzukiGS750EZ View Post
    I think i've figured out what i want to install and it's going to be preware. But i wonder if it's worth putting on. Can it/does it mess up the phone if you install something wrong? Is the phone worth using unhacked? I don't want to be out, download something and have my phone unusable or something, that would drive me crazy. How is the OS as it is stock? Is preware just for customizing looks or does it have camera add ons and other features to make the phone more usable?
    I think you're still thinking of preware and the pre/pixi too much like an iPhone (which I used before this). The risks are pretty minuscule in most cases as far as damaging your phone. Installing preware doesn't involve any type of "jailbreaking". You simply use WebOS Quick Install and poof, there it is. It has tons of apps, themes, patches, etc. to make your Pre/Pixi even better. I wouldn't call installing preware a hack by any means. It's just another installer. It's very easy to remove patches, etc if they don't work correctly, and as stated earlier, it's very hard to actually brick your phone. When all else fails, use WebOS Doctor and you should be back in business. Preware also has AUPT now so you shouldn't have to worry about removing all of your patches etc before an OS upgrade. Patches without a version for the new OS will basically be converted to a placeholder and downloaded once an update is available. It's all a really great system.